Thread: Pre-Order Page is now up for Atari 7800 Expansion Module

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Pre-Order Page is now up for Atari 7800 Expansion Module

Before I provide a link for pre-ordering the Atari 7800 Expansion Module, I will be telling what I know about the Atari 7800 Expansion Module since the only people know about it came from the Atariage form community or was at the 2010 Classic Gaming Expo.

The Atari 7800 Expansion Module works for All Atari 7800 units including Pal.

Here what the expansion module adds to the Atari 7800:

• Built in High Score keeping capability (compatible with approx 20 existing titles and any HSC coded games/programs in the future)
    • 128K of Program Available Memory
    • POKEY audio/interfacing IC Chip for enhanced audio/voice synthesis and I/O Interfacing capabilities.
    • 2nd Audio Processor for higher end Arcade sound effects and music
    • SIO (Serial I/O) Port for potential future use of Atari 8bit computer peripherals such as Disk Drives, Printers and Modems.
    • 15 PIN Port for potential future use with a detachable computer keyboard.
    • Will come professionally boxed in original Silver styled "Atari XL" type box with extensive User Guide and Technical Data manuals.
    • Cartridge Port ontop to allow all 2600/7800 cartridges to plug onto the unit to play games/programs.

Any games that have High Score capability will immediately be enabled when using the module, new games that take advantage of all of the ram, or audio chips or both will have major enhancements.

Connecting new peripherals will be possible with the module like Atari 1050 disk drives for use with possible future applications/programs for the module. This would most likely also be used in concert with a future keyboard attachment that will plug into the 15pin keyboard connector on the side of the unit.

So it enhances the 7800's capabilities and gives it future expansion capabilities with peripherals and keyboards.

The 2nd Audio Processor for the Atari 7800 Expansion Module is a ym2151. It is a eight-channel four-operator sound chip that was found in a lot of Arcade games in the mid and late 1980’s by Atari, Capcom, Konami, Namco, and Sega. The first game the used the sound chip in the Arcade was Marble Madness.

So it enhances the 7800's capabilities and gives it future expansion capabilities with peripherals and keyboards.

There are at least 3 game developers that are working games for the Atari 7800 Expansion Module. The games that are known to work on for sure for the Atari 7800 Expansion Module is an improved version of Pac-man Collection and top down dungeon crawler called Dungeon!.

Curt Vendel of Legacy Engineering Group mentioned there will be computer programs coming later for Atari 7800 module after the module is finished. The programs for the module are OSS/7800 Basic, as well as 7800 VideoWriter, 7800 StarTyper, 7800 Atarilab Light and Atarilab Temp.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 10-05-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Pre order page: http://www.legacyengineer.com/storef...roducts_id=115

The methods of payment allowed are the following:

Mail in Check
    Mail in Money Order
    eCheck
    Visa/Mastercard/Discovery/Amex

Legacy Engineering Group don't take paypal. The company lost over $5,000 in lost revenue a few years back thanks to paypal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The Attachment has the current state of Atari 7800 XM. The computer monitor isn't part of the expansion module.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 10-21-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just preordered one of these after reading more about it on AtariAge, it sounds VERY cool! I love the idea of "hot-rodding" the original hardware

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It looks Atari 7800 Expansion Module shipping date will be delayed to December 10th.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...st__p__2134338

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

A mark up of Atari 7800 expansion module box art is done.

Attachment shows the box art. The box art show 3 screenshots of 3 coming soon games.

1st screenshot on top is Dungeon!. 2nd screenshot is Tempest. 3rd screenshot is Monster!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Shipping date isn't known yet, but Super Circus Atariage is completed for it. Super Circus Atariage isn't in Atariage store yet and I don't know when. PacMAnPlus is taking pre-orders for Circus Atariage though.

New games mentioned for Atari 7800 XM:

Super Circus Atariage (uses Pokey sound chip and high score feature on 7800 XM)
    Info on game: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...riage-new-wip/

Fruitarian (takes advantage of additional ram, and Pokey sound chip)
    Info on game: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...ruitarian-wip/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

So it's a 32X for the 7800.

I'm hoping this will stop people from killing Commando cartridges, hence making them even more rare as time passes.

Once I manage to get my revenue in order (pay bills, car repair, and such), and if it's still available, I will pick this up. Are there plans on releasing it if the preorders "fill"?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Killing Commando? Nah, most of the time it's Ballblazer...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    So it's a 32X for the 7800.

I'm hoping this will stop people from killing Commando cartridges, hence making them even more rare as time passes.

Once I manage to get my revenue in order (pay bills, car repair, and such), and if it's still available, I will pick this up. Are there plans on releasing it if the preorders "fill"?
    Yep, there are plans of releasing the 7800 XM are fill. I asked the owner of legacy Engineering Group in September. 300 out of the 500 Atari 7800 Xm units are for pre orders. Rest of the 200 units will be available after all pre orders are fulfill.

He will be making 250 more Atari 7800 XM units once all 500 Atari 7800 XM units are sold out.