Thread: Mega Drive/Genesis

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mega Drive/Genesis

I would like to begin a PAL Mega Drive collection, but Im not sure if this is a good idea. Maybe a Genesis collection is a better idea. The Mega drive was very popular here in Europe so I think I can have a lot of cheap games in good shape.

Which one should I buy? Mega Drive I or II? Where to buy it? Which PAL games are a "must have"? Which one are the hardest?

thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

If only a collection it should be alright. I wouldn't suggest regularly playing Mega Drive games in 50hz mode unless your TV is so old there's little choice. Most of its conversions play slow that way, as is common knowledge.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well. There is not much alternative here. I only find PAL Mega Drive and PAL games here... Should I get them? Any console alternative to Mega Drive to begin my collection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Collect for whatever console you like the most. As for Megadrive vs Genesis, if you live in a PAL territory, collect for PAL. It'll work out a lot cheaper, and the Hz difference will become unnoticeable if you don't have a Genesis running right next to it.

As for games to get, depends on what you like. Though I'm sure not of all these will appeal, a list I'd recommend:

Sonic 1-3/Sonic & Knuckles
    Streets of Rage 1-3
    Golden Axe
    Shining Force I/II
    Shinobi
    Lemmings
    Lion King/Aladdin/Tiny Toons (A few of the good tie-in games the MD has)
    Columns
    Phantasy Star IV
    Gunstar Heroes
    Micro Machines
    Mickey's Castle/World of Illusion

But there's plenty I've missed off.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Second Samurai
    Mega Man: Wily Wars
    Cannon Fodder

These are the three European MD games I have. They were never released in America and they're all great games.

For playing the games on NTSC televisions, converters can be found.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks! But Should I buy the MEga Drive 1, the Mega Drive 2 or the new one called Blaze Mega Drive here in Europe?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Quote Originally Posted by kanijus View Post
    Thanks! But Should I buy the MEga Drive 1, the Mega Drive 2 or the new one called Blaze Mega Drive here in Europe?
    That's all personal choice - which one would you rather have? I know the US Model 1 Genesis was far superior to the model 2, so most people would rather have the first one. The Sega CDX (Genesis + Sega CD in 1 unit) is also nice over here, plus it takes up a lot less space. It's really all up to you and what you want. If you're collecting for it, why not eventually get all 3?
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would recommed the multi-mega, the PAL release of the CDX. Id avoid the MD2 and the BLaze console as the audio is inferior to a Mega Drive 1 or wondermega.

Then with you living in PAL land hunt of an RGB Scart cable and you're all set.
    Last edited by Emuaust; 09-01-2010 at 02:29 AM.
    zomg I have a sig

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The wondermega is expensive as hell. I cant buy one of them. I can buy a Mega Drive and a Sega CD, but not the wondermega. Are exclusive PAL games? Can I use a RGB scart cable on a Mega Drive 1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    I would recommed the wondermega, the PAL release of the CDX. Id avoid the MD2 and the BLaze console as the audio is inferior to a Mega Drive 1 or wondermega.

Then with you living in PAL land hunt of an RGB Scart cable and you're all set.
    I think you meant the Multi-Mega. Not the Wondermega. The Wondermega is the CD/CART all-in-one console. The Multi-Mega is the CDX (the smaller, portable one).

I would go with one of the original Mega Drives. Just seem to have superior hardware, and the sound is MUCH better if you get one of the earlier versions.

As far as which console to collect, you know what my answer would be. But really it all boils down to - what console do you like the most?

The Mega Drive/Genesis is an excellent choice for gamers on a budget. The stuff is everywhere, and it's cheap. And not only that, but there are a TON of good games for it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I think you meant the Multi-Mega. Not the Wondermega. The Wondermega is the CD/CART all-in-one console. The Multi-Mega is the CDX (the smaller, portable one).

I would go with one of the original Mega Drives. Just seem to have superior hardware, and the sound is MUCH better if you get one of the earlier versions.

As far as which console to collect, you know what my answer would be. But really it all boils down to - what console do you like the most?

The Mega Drive/Genesis is an excellent choice for gamers on a budget. The stuff is everywhere, and it's cheap. And not only that, but there are a TON of good games for it.
    Well, I have never played the Mega Drive. I had a Nintendo in 1989. All my friends had a Master System. There was the Old Console war in Spain, where I lived. Now I want to get the Mega Drive, a Master system converter and a Sega CD and collect it. Do you know where to find one? Maybe you have one that you want to sell...