While at CGE, and being a part of CGE, I noticed a few things I would like to see improved. This is not a complaint thread. Only things you want to see improved.
* Signage (with arrows) pointing to the Speakers / Auction room. There were three other conferences in the hotel at the time Both were big and two of them used rooms in the same hallways as our room. Signage would help the CGE attendees get to where they need to go, and get there on time.
* Signage pointing to the Swap Meet room for trading tables. When the door was open the room more obvious. But a lot of the time the door was closed an there was not sign for room's purpose. I heard more than a few asking where the room was too.
* Signage in the Speakers / Auction room with a list of times. Even if it is a whiteboard with hand written list. Having the list posted elsewhere was OK. But having the list inside the room would have been great too. That way the people attending the talks/movies/auction/etc can plan their time. The people giving the talks can also be reminded of their start/end times as well.
* A permanently available projector for the room. I brought my projector for use at CGE. But having to tear it down between talks was a little annoying. I appreciate CGE not wanting to have to replace a missing projector. Next time a Kensington lock needs to be there to keep the honest crowd, honest; and also keep CGE from sweating about equipment loss.
* A permanently available computer for various speaker / auction room uses. I brought out my laptop for the Ralph H. Baer video conference. Everything went okay considering the last minute setup of the system and the connectivity. But having a system in place for the whole show would be better. And yes, another Kensington lock needs to be on the computer to keep the honest crowd, honest. BTW,, we used a Dell D820 with Windows 7, a Microsoft USB camera and Life Cam driver, Skype software, AT&T Mercury USB Modem (Sierra Wireless Compass 885), and AT&T service to do the video conference with Ralph.
* A unbalanced audio miniature plug going to the mixer for the room audio. For the last server CGE's we have needed a miniature plug audio connection for the computer or for a DVD player and it was the same for CGE 2K10. Out makeshift solution on site was to use external speakers with a mic pointed at them. Not exactly the best solution and it really sucked for the playing of the "Joysticks" DVD. Next time let's ask for better.
* At least one unbalanced audio miniature plug coming from the speaker's room mixer. This would great for getting better audio recording of the speaker's talks. One output would be good. If we had more than one output then a couple of people (who attend the talks an share them) could get a quality recording. A balanced output might also be nice to have as well.
* An audio check of all the microphones in the Speaker's room. While stealing a mic for use with the computer we found one of the microphones on the table was not connected. By that time at least a couple of panels had give their talks. It 's no wonder that one of the ends of the table on Saturday could not be heard. The left side (facing the speakers) was not connected to the mixer when we looked. This was a Tropicana mistake that could have been found sooner if CGE staff had done an audio check.
* Every year the museum and the main floor ends up wondering if we can attach items to the conference facility walls. Even when we find out if we can we still end up wondering how to do it. Next time let's ask BEFORE the show instead of right at the show. As an alternative for the museum maybe we could get some music stands and easels so we don't have to worry about asking about the wall at all.
* A check of covered parking for the hotel. Due to the fact the Tropicana had other event going parking sucked a little. About 3/4 of the bottom floor for the Trop's parking garage was reserved for motorcycles of the Buffalo Soldiers convention. The rest was full all of the time unless you also had clairvoyance for empty parking spaces. The bottom floor was really on the only floor I wanted to park a truck full of old electronics so they were out of the baking sun. Don't get me wrong,,, I also am a daily rider and appreciated the fact the Trop saved some parking for the bikes. May by the next show they will have built parking on the other side of the hotel since it's undergoing a remodel.
Don't let any of the comments above be misunderstood as complaining. They're not. Just reminders to check out next! Or at least to get on Joe's, John's, and Sean's butt to assign to someone to perform the task. Maybe some of them for me.
I still think CGE 2K10 was great and look forward to the next show!