Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I was speaking with a friend about this, and he mentioned a great idea. Why isn't there a video game expo that's HUGE and JUST for video games? You used to have CES, and now E3, but those also had electronics mixed in. WHY isn't there a show that's tailored to JUST video games? Hell, the video game industry has outgrown the movie industry, or so I hear. I think the industry is large enough to hold it's own super huge expo every year.

The problem with any sort of classic gaming expo, is that there is really only a handful of people that are even into this sort of thing. I'd say that we are probably 1 percent of the gamers out there. Why not start a super massive gaming show that is catered to both the modern AND classic gamers? If such a show existed then maybe Nintendo, Sony, Sega, Microsoft, etc etc would attend that show instead of just a general "electronics" show. With the support of the big companies it could easily thrive.

This would of course be an advantage to us classic gamers as well. You could have classic gaming mixed in with the modern, or even have two sides of the show. Each side would generate interest for each other, and the sponsorships of the big boys would ensure that the show could go on for years to come.

Another thing it would do is expose retro gaming to the modern gaming fans a bit more, which would only make our community larger!

Maybe the focus needs to just change a bit. Maybe we as classic gamers cannot alienate ourselves from all the others.

I honestly cannot believe that there is no general Modern/Classic or just a gaming expo catered to video gaming ONLY already in existance. This is a huge hole that needs to be filled and I think the potential for an awesome show is amazing if approached at the right angle.
    Actually, E3 is entirely devoted to video games, although it's technically not open to the general public. There is also PAX which is pretty huge, as well as several shows in Japan and Europe that are sortof like E3, but open to the public.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Actually, E3 is entirely devoted to video games, although it's technically not open to the general public. There is also PAX which is pretty huge, as well as several shows in Japan and Europe that are sortof like E3, but open to the public.
    Oh well, I guess we are fucked then. I thought E3 was the Electronics Expo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Oh well, I guess we are fucked then. I thought E3 was the Electronics Expo.
    With so many retro games now becoming downloadable titles to your 360 or ps3 or whatever out, I think a healthy blend of classic and modern could work. You know, for a few years it would be small. It would basically be CGE, but there would be modern stuff in there as well.

I think, for the younger generation, that they might like to see the presence of these classic games in relation to what they know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    And the CGE guys actually had an exhibit at E3 twice.... Before E3 'ended' for a couple of years, they had a vintage gaming display in one of the areas. All the old consoles hooked up and playable, I displayed a bunch of handhelds the second year, even had the old couch and TV setup... It was pretty cool.

Then they 'canceled' E3 (turned into a meeting-only event) which killed that. They've brought E3 back again to what it used to be... But as mentioned, E3 isn't technically a public event anyway. Was cool though.

Rik