Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Band 3 Info: Real Guitar, Pro Drums, 25 Key Keyboard, and 1st Songs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rock Band 3 Info: Real Guitar, Pro Drums, 25 Key Keyboard, and 1st Songs

This seems pretty cool, but I have to say I'll probably just stick with my old instruments and maybe get a keyboard. But they're definitely doing alot more to reinvigorate the rhythm game genre than Activision is with GH 6.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...and10_VA_N.htm

Rock Band Pro. This new music learning mode lets players develop real-world music-playing fundamentals for keyboards, guitars and drums. More realistic music notations replace the standard color-coded notes during gameplay. For guitar, numbers flow down the screen along six guitar strings, telling you where to place your hands on the neck and when to strum.

Two new guitar controllers in the works have actual strings where you strum; one is a full-sized, fully functional six-string Squier Stratocaster from Fender. "It can tell where your fingers are based on technology in the neck and the bridge of the guitar. No buttons," Drake says. "While you're playing it, it feels exactly like playing a real guitar," because that's what you're doing.

The other is a Fender Mustang Pro controller from accessory maker Mad Catz with a field of buttons in each fret. As your fingers compress the smaller non-colored buttons on that guitar's neck, your finger positions are represented in the game's display. "You can go from plucking single notes to power chords and bar chords, we have crazy stuff like tapping and slides," Dubrofsky says. "If you ever had any aspirations of connecting with the music in a deeper way ... you are really going to like Rock Band 3."

For drums, three new cymbals are added to the standard four drum pads, and you are forced to play the correct cymbal at the right time. "It really immerses you more. You feel more like a drummer," Dubrofsky says. "It's not only for expert levels. You can come in on easy and actually play Pro drums. We have all the different levels established. It's actually really fun. You are playing up on the high hat or down on the snare, and it feels more like a kit than ever before."

On keyboards, Sussman says, "we're actually utilizing the full two-octave range that the keyboard controller has. Everything that you are playing, whether you are playing on easy or expert, is accurate musical information. The track looks like a real keyboard track, and you are playing notes on the keyboard that if you were to step away from the game and were to play on a real piano, they would be the right notes."

Pro players can use the mode for private practice or incorporate it while others play the game's standard arcade modes. "You can be an expert keys-player playing with an all easy band, no problem," Drake says.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...and10_ST_N.htm

The success of Rock Band and follow-up Rock Band 2 propelled sales of music games to more than $1.6 billion in 2008 — with the help of competing Guitar Hero titles. Despite a wide variety of new games in 2009 including The Beatles: Rock Band and DJ Hero, annual sales fell by nearly 50%.

That slide inspired the Rock Band 3 development team to try to recapture the fun "that really started this whole phenomenon in the first place," says project director Daniel Sussman.

During the game, green, red, blue, yellow or orange keys flow on a "stream" representing the notes to be played on five corresponding keyboard keys. In a new authentic Pro mode meant to help players segue to actual instruments, all 25 keys are used; the streams shifts left and right to cover the correct keys. The keyboard also works as a MIDI keyboard that can be connected to a computer. "This is a real instrument and a real device," says senior designer Sylvain Dubrofsky.

In addition to the new keyboard controller, also due for the game's release are two advanced guitar controllers that take advantage of the Pro mode, one a full-sized, fully functional Fender guitar (all sold separately, no prices yet).

Other Rock Band 3 advances: improved animations, refined gameplay features — players can drop in and out of games, or change instruments and difficulty settings without stopping songs — and a easier-to-use song menu.

"Our ambition for Rock Band 3 was really to re-energize and reinvigorate the (music game) category and advance it and move it forward," Rigopulos says.

The songs announced so far:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...nced-so-far-/1

2000s
    Combat Baby -- Metric
    Dead End Friends -- Them Crooked Vultures
    Get Free -- The Vines
    Lasso -- Phoenix
    Me Enamora -- Juanes
    Oh My God -- Ida Maria
    Portions of Foxes -- Rilo Kiley
    The Hardest Button to Button -- The White Stripes

1990s
    Been Caught Stealing -- Jane's Addiction
    In the Meantime -- Spacehog
    Plush -- Stone Temple Pilots
    Walkin' on the Sun -- Smash Mouth

1980s
    Crazy Train -- Ozzy Osbourne
    Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake
    I Love Rock and Roll -- Joan Jett
    Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
    Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio
    The Power of Love -- Huey Lewis and the News
    Sister Christian -- Night Ranger

1960s-1970s
    Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
    Break On Through -- The Doors
    Crosstown Traffic -- Jimi Hendrix
    Last edited by CelticJobber; 06-18-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

In 1980's and previous I know all but two songs. In the rest of the list I know two songs. Never heard of the others.

Though "Oh My God" should be this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMGsRmZTFQ
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Oh cool, it looks like George Harrison's son was able to get them to make the guitar controller with actual strings as he hoped for. It was great that he brought up that topic because he was hoping they would make a game of this style that actually gets people used to playing the real instruments.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

This is an absolute must buy for me, if only for Bohemian Rhapsody (though when will they put Stairway in one of these freakin' games?). Really excited about the keyboard too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144819

I mentioned the keyboards earlier, seems that people are generally interested.

All I can say about the drums is that ION had better bring out a new module to accommodate for the cymbals and put out a new cymbal pack. I didn't buy their "super drum kit" with the intention of letting it go to waste.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    In 1980's and previous I know all but two songs. In the rest of the list I know two songs. Never heard of the others.

Though "Oh My God" should be this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMGsRmZTFQ
    2000s
    Combat Baby -- Metric
    Dead End Friends -- Them Crooked Vultures
    Get Free -- The Vines
    Lasso -- Phoenix
    Me Enamora -- Juanes
    Oh My God -- Ida Maria
    Portions of Foxes -- Rilo Kiley
    The Hardest Button to Button -- The White Stripes

1990s
    Been Caught Stealing -- Jane's Addiction
    In the Meantime -- Spacehog
    Plush -- Stone Temple Pilots
    Walkin' on the Sun -- Smash Mouth

1980s
    Crazy Train -- Ozzy Osbourne
    Here I Go Again -- Whitesnake
    I Love Rock and Roll -- Joan Jett
    Just Like Heaven -- The Cure
    Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio
    The Power of Love -- Huey Lewis and the News
    Sister Christian -- Night Ranger

1960s-1970s
    Bohemian Rhapsody -- Queen
    Break On Through -- The Doors
    Crosstown Traffic -- Jimi Hendrix
    Decent setlist, and I agree about the Kaiser Chiefs song.

I must be getting old or listen to too much indie rock, as I only recognize 3 bands from the 2000s.

How much do you guys think the keyboard will cost? I'm guessing $100.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cool!
    I was wanting a small usb keyboard for my PC anyways, so this is a must buy for me!

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    If this thread were about the newest Guitar Hero game, this would be my response as well.

I certainly appreciate their attempts to liven things up and potentially reinvigorate the genre but I'm concerned that the disenfranchised gamers and over saturated market will make those updates moot. Obviously EA/Harmonix has no control over Activision flooding the market every other month with a new Hero game but we certainly DON'T need a Green Day Rock Band release either IMHO.

I'd be interested in picking this up if only to play the keyboards (I've always had a fascination for wanting to play piano/keyboards).
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Sounds nice but I don't have much of a reason to pay $100 to $150 for another set of controllers and a game. I rarely play these music games anymore. I hope they put some songs by The B-52's in this one.

Austin

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Okay.

If keyboards are in there's no excuse for not having TMBG present in some capacity, DLC or otherwise.

I've got my fingers crossed.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144819

I mentioned the keyboards earlier, seems that people are generally interested.

All I can say about the drums is that ION had better bring out a new module to accommodate for the cymbals and put out a new cymbal pack. I didn't buy their "super drum kit" with the intention of letting it go to waste.
    Troof. My Ion kit doesn't get enough love as it is. If it doesn't work, i'll stick to RB2 and continue to buy songs cause I bet you a buck that they'll still work.

I really don't want to have to buy NEW equipement all over again. It was nice that RB stuff held out for a few years, but this reboot that we're getting from a now very over extended genre is quickly loosing my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    I certainly appreciate their attempts to liven things up and potentially reinvigorate the genre but I'm concerned that the disenfranchised gamers and over saturated market will make those updates moot. Obviously EA/Harmonix has no control over Activision flooding the market every other month with a new Hero game but we certainly DON'T need a Green Day Rock Band release either IMHO.
    Nor did we need Lego Rock Band and save for the AC/DC pack all the other disc packs released (like 5 of them) were all full of songs available via DLC, but with 200g, shafting the people who only bought specific songs. Rock band has done its fair share of flooding as well.
    Last edited by PapaStu; 06-10-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Oh cool, it looks like George Harrison's son was able to get them to make the guitar controller with actual strings
    That means I'll actually be able to play along and do well. How much will the new, realistic guitars cost though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

The price of the guitar is my concern also. If they have a lesson built in though, I would sell my actual squier guitar and just learn on the game. I know they have an actual guitar you can buy right now that works with rock band 2, but that costs $250, hopefully this one isnt that much. The keyboard would be a cool, I wish you could just any keyboard.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apparently, any DLC released after Rock Band 3 won't work in RB 1 or 2. And the Pro guitar and keyboard functions won't work on old DLC or imported songs.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/rock-b...pression/2103/

Plastic Axe has alot more details, including the prices for the Keyboard ($129 with RB3, or $79 separately) and Mustang controller ($149) the Squier Strat's price is still unavailable.

http://www.plasticaxe.com/2010/06/11...e-peripherals/
    Last edited by CelticJobber; 06-11-2010 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am unbelievably excited for this game. Real instruments combined with the new Pro Mode sounds like you will really be playing the instruments which, for someone who plays guitar and piano, is great. The optional MIDI controller means I can use a real electronic drum kit and a full-size keyboard. Seriously, this sounds like what I've been waiting for in the rhythm genre.

Squier Strats don't cost much more than $150 INCLUDING an amp so I can't see the Fender guitar costing any more than the Mad Catz one. Squiers certainly aren't anything great but the fact that you can hook it up to an amp and jam is great, even if it's a cheap piece of shit.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I haven't played in a while because I can't get the game to work on the tv I'm using right now (my drums may be messed up to-beatles model) I will likely start playing again with rock band 3 though there doesn't seem to be much new in the drum area I'm very interested in the keyboarding

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

wait, so any midi keyboard will work with the game?
    Autobots. Roll out.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two new guitar controllers in the works have actual strings where you strum; one is a full-sized, fully functional six-string Squier Stratocaster from Fender. "It can tell where your fingers are based on technology in the neck and the bridge of the guitar. No buttons," Drake says. "While you're playing it, it feels exactly like playing a real guitar," because that's what you're doing.

. . .

On keyboards, Sussman says, "we're actually utilizing the full two-octave range that the keyboard controller has. Everything that you are playing, whether you are playing on easy or expert, is accurate musical information. The track looks like a real keyboard track, and you are playing notes on the keyboard that if you were to step away from the game and were to play on a real piano, they would be the right notes."

Pro players can use the mode for private practice or incorporate it while others play the game's standard arcade modes. "You can be an expert keys-player playing with an all easy band, no problem," Drake says.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

hah, the lazytown girl, we make fun of her all the time
    Autobots. Roll out.