Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It boggles my mind how stubborn some game retailers are!!

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you know the less you sale the worse Overhead becomes!
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by AlphaGamer; 02-27-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

google 4 gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UnpluggedClone View Post
    If a place is selling FF7 for $125 dollars and only giving you $2.00 in credit for it somethings wrong over head or not. And with practices like that they WILL go out of business.
    Not if they actually ARE doing what you suggest...that's a 3125% profit.

Now if they are not succeeding in selling a game for $125 while also not succeeding in giving you $2 for it then, yes, the business will fail.

I realise that's what you were trying to say but semantics, you know.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Not if they actually ARE doing what you suggest...that's a 3125% profit.

Now if they are not succeeding in selling a game for $125 while also not succeeding in giving you $2 for it then, yes, the business will fail.

I realise that's what you were trying to say but semantics, you know.
    I can only speak for the one store I used to frequent w/ any regularity, and I'll say they never sold the overpriced junk. They sold stuff that they accidentally underpriced, and they sold the newer games that they priced similarly to Gamestop, and they sold CDs, records, DVDs, etc etc. But I watched stuff just sit on their shelves for years. The ditz that "runs" the place even told me one game I traded for sat there since the '90s! This place has been in business a LONG time (obviously) and isn't about to go under (tho they aren't doing so well lately), but that's b/c they don't rely on video game sales to stay afloat. Rather than mark down some stuff (like PC Engine games) they moved them to a crate in the back room (staff only!) so you couldn't even see them unless you asked! Seriously you'd think that eventually they would want to cut their losses and just get rid of this stuff, but no. The only times those games left the store was through trades, and even then... I never traded them any of my games, but a friend of mine would bring them stuff that he had no use for. Their trade in was crap, mostly b/c they knew they'd overprice it and it would sit on the shelf. I tried to trade in some things to them but left in disgust at the tiny amount they were willing to give in trade in credit. It wasn't even so much that I thought it was too low (even tho it was) but that I knew what they'd price it for. I ended up just selling the bag of games (piece by piece) for 10X what they offered me in trade, and believe me when I say I asked for at least half of what they would have sold the games for. (How do I know? One of the games was boxed Shining Force, which I sold for $25. I saw them w/ a CIB copy of it for $60.)
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

These stores really need a large population and market interest to do much of anything. It really is too bad. I think a good mix of modern and retro (as the dp store is to my understanding) combined with a large local market can go well... But the old stuff has to be the gravy not the meat.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

where i'm at, we've only got GameStop and one local chain
    GameStop is, well, GameStop, so not much to say there.
    as for the local store, It's pretty good, they deal with everything from Atari to ps3.
    generally their prices aren't bad, but sometimes they're just crazy.
    example, $45 for a copy of Mario Party 2, while right next to it there's a copy of Mario Kart 64 for $7.
    one thing i really like about them is that they don't care if the game has the box or anything, so i've gotten some really good deals there, like a CIB copy of NiGHTS for saturn for $3, or a CIB copy of Rocket Knight Adventures for $3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dnehthend View Post
    the best places are the ones that lower the price based on the time the game has been on the shelf, I like to go in and buy all of the dollar games that have been sitting around for 6 months
    I only ever knew of one place with a policy like that - but I sure made out well there!
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live in St.Louis, which is an area where it's incredibly difficult to find anything pre-last generation except in thrift stores. Out in St.Charles there's a place called "Slackers CDs and Games", which does sell plenty of the older stuff. They want 25 dollars for common titles like Super Mario World, and these aren't even complete in the box- just loose! Most of these games have been sitting there forever, but a few of them from what I have observed have been purchased. They do, however, give excellent store credit (I traded in some PS2 games and ended up with fifty dollars for just the few they could take). That's probably why they overcharge up the asscrack. I could trade the same titles in at Gamestop and maybe get 2 cents for them if I'm lucky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh, yah. Most every vintage game store seems to be this way.

Either the games are overpriced or not priced and they look it up to find a number.

I mean, I guess I get where they're coming from. If a game sells for $20 on ebay and they ask $18 for it that's fair I suppose. But if I wanted to pay close to the ebay price I'd just GO TO EBAY!!

Ebay literally killed good deals at the flea market and used stuff stores. Really a shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kind of disagree.
    the whole ebay pricing thing seems to be beneficial, as long as it's done right.
    if the store is doing all of their pricing off of those dumb BIN sales that are $20 more than anyone would pay, then yeah, ebay's screwing it up.
    on the flipside, i think it's really helpful to the store if they actually base the prices off of finished auctions that did sell.
    plus, there's always the in-store benefit of being able to walk out with it without having to pay shipping!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bartre View Post
    I kind of disagree.
    the whole ebay pricing thing seems to be beneficial, as long as it's done right.
    It's never done right, because if it was, you wouldn't know that they were using eBay to adjust the price of the games they were selling in the first place, hence it wouldn't be an issue.

Checking eBay when a customer wants to purchase something in your store is just bad form, as is letting people know that you're using eBay as your pricing guide. If you're going to research prices using online auctions, fine. But there shouldn't be any trace of that in your store. Just because you're in the specialty market it doesn't mean your operation has to be small-time and tacky.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really hate walking into a store that doesn't have prices, asking about a certain game and having to watch the clerk look it up on ebay.

Nothing makes me leave a store emptyhanded faster.

Oh well that and the prices I found at a place this weekend.

$7 for SMB/DH, $47 for Dragon Warrior 2, $15 for Excitebike, Madden NFL '96 (SNES) for $7. Not a single NES game was below $5

That place was incredibly frustrating to even stand in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bartre View Post
    where i'm at, we've only got GameStop and one local chain
    GameStop is, well, GameStop, so not much to say there.
    as for the local store, It's pretty good, they deal with everything from Atari to ps3.
    generally their prices aren't bad, but sometimes they're just crazy.
    example, $45 for a copy of Mario Party 2, while right next to it there's a copy of Mario Kart 64 for $7.
    one thing i really like about them is that they don't care if the game has the box or anything, so i've gotten some really good deals there, like a CIB copy of NiGHTS for saturn for $3, or a CIB copy of Rocket Knight Adventures for $3.
    While I'm not defending Gamestop in any way, they're actually a pretty good place to find rare games from the PS2/Xbox/Cube era for cheap prices sometimes. For example I find a copy of Ico for $5 there, which goes for at least $50 at most of the indy shops in my area. I also found Silent Hill 2 for $10, which is at least $20+ at the indy stores. I think because it's their head office that sets the prices, they just figure if it's not current gen, sell it at a low price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrissylas View Post
    I really hate walking into a store that doesn't have prices, asking about a certain game and having to watch the clerk look it up on ebay.

Seriously. I've never actually encountered that, but I'd probably leave before he/she even got a chance to search it.

"Excuse me, these games aren't priced. How much are they?"

"Hold on a second, I have to look them up on eBay and....Sir? Hello...?"

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Seriously. I've never actually encountered that, but I'd probably leave before he/she even got a chance to search it.

"Excuse me, these games aren't priced. How much are they?"

"Hold on a second, I have to look them up on eBay and....Sir? Hello...?"
    The best response to that is "Oh! ... Oh God you're right, I TOTALLY forgot about Ebay! Yeah, I'll just go home and order this from THERE instead! Wow, thanks so much for reminding me!" and then leave.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    The best response to that is "Oh! ... Oh God you're right, I TOTALLY forgot about Ebay! Yeah, I'll just go home and order this from THERE instead! Wow, thanks so much for reminding me!" and then leave.
    I approve.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by chrissylas View Post

Oh well that and the prices I found at a place this weekend.

$7 for SMB/DH, $47 for Dragon Warrior 2, $15 for Excitebike, Madden NFL '96 (SNES) for $7. Not a single NES game was below $5

That place was incredibly frustrating to even stand in.
    jesus christ man!

SMB/DH is like a throw away game.

I have one propping up a fuckin wobbly table right now.

7$? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Yeah the one local store that went under was charging MIB pricing for loose HuCard games because as he said: "All TG-16 games are rare. You won't see many of these games ever again, and certainly won't see duplicates.". His scenester tard employee nodded in agreement and said "true dat. he knows his shit".

so!

Just to be a raging asshole, because I can't stand that kind of herpderp...

I went home, grabbed about half my hucards, made sure to grab all the duplicates of the common crap (which was stuff he had that id never see again!), walked in and went "I brought half of my rarest most valuable treasures. You can resell this stuff and make millions, thats how rare this stuff is! You want in?"

the guy goes "uh. what is it"

I dumped the bag over onto the counter and went "Turbo Grafx games. Look i got 4 keith courages, 2 bonks, a couple china warriors, and all these other games too. and this is only HALF OF IT! I'm friggin rich, amirite?!"

The guy stood dumb founded for about 15 seconds, I grinned, looked at the scenester goon and said "what was that you were saying about him knowing his shit?"

and then I traded in some of the duplicates for Sidearms, Darkwing Duck and Bravoman.......

and 3 weeks later the store went outta business. Lol.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Darkwing Duck? Urgh, I think I'd rather have a second copy of Keith Courage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    jesus christ man!

SMB/DH is like a throw away game.

I have one propping up a fuckin wobbly table right now.

7$? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Yeah the one local store that went under was charging MIB pricing for loose HuCard games because as he said: "All TG-16 games are rare. You won't see many of these games ever again, and certainly won't see duplicates.". His scenester tard employee nodded in agreement and said "true dat. he knows his shit".

so!

Just to be a raging asshole, because I can't stand that kind of herpderp...

I went home, grabbed about half my hucards, made sure to grab all the duplicates of the common crap (which was stuff he had that id never see again!), walked in and went "I brought half of my rarest most valuable treasures. You can resell this stuff and make millions, thats how rare this stuff is! You want in?"

the guy goes "uh. what is it"

I dumped the bag over onto the counter and went "Turbo Grafx games. Look i got 4 keith courages, 2 bonks, a couple china warriors, and all these other games too. and this is only HALF OF IT! I'm friggin rich, amirite?!"

The guy stood dumb founded for about 15 seconds, I grinned, looked at the scenester goon and said "what was that you were saying about him knowing his shit?"

and then I traded in some of the duplicates for Sidearms, Darkwing Duck and Bravoman.......

and 3 weeks later the store went outta business. Lol.
    This sounds EXACTLY like the guy that use to run the larger store owned by the same people who owned the smaller game store I use to work at. This fucking moron would give people nothing for trade in value, then mark up any game he felt was "rare" sky high. He tried to do this in the smaller store where I worked, and he never got away with it. He would even mark up some new releases $10-15 over the going retail price when they first released because he said oh yeah that game is gonna be rare soon. I finally drew the line and told him to fuck off, when he wanted me to sell GTA: Vice City for $99.99 CDN. when the going rate was $79.99 CDN! If these prices seem high to my fellow US gamers, it's because the exchange rate between our two countries was really outta whack at the time.