Thread: Monster Hunter Tri

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JanLazer

Default Monster Hunter Tri

Just curious as to who is going to be snagging this game next week. Might be interesting to set up hunting groups or something...Just so we all don't get paired with randoms...Although, meat shields are always useful to have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, next week already? jeez time went quick.
    And I would join someones clan or something, but i need some serious training
    before I even touch online.
    N64 collector

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what does this game play like? Is it at all like Shadow of Colossus or is it a lot more RPGish or neither?

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe the Monster Hunter series is in a class all by itself. I'm not sure how to classify it. If you've never tried it I would NOT recommend just jumping in. I would guess a high percentage of people that have tried it are put off by the steep learning curve. It ain't for everybody but if you like it then it's one of the best gaming experiences to be had. Go read some reviews at Gamefaqs or wherever else you might find some fan based reviews. And before you flame GF's, I will say that some highly skilled and courteous players hang out in the MH forums there.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

There's also the demo disc Gamestop is giving out, if you want to try it out before buying.

It definately has a learning curve... I played the demo for about half an hour and still wasn't sure what I was doing. I would expect that the retail version would have some sort of tutorial to ease you into the game though...

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody View Post
    what does this game play like? Is it at all like Shadow of Colossus or is it a lot more RPGish or neither?
    It's mostly similar to Phantasy Star Online. Somewhat different but it's the only game you can really compare it to.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I am picking it up on Tuesday, I cannot wait!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll picking it up on Tuesday also. The game seems interesting, can't wait. Anyone planning to use Wii Speak for this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

I tried out the Wii Speak on its testing mode, whatever it's called. It has trouble picking up my voice but can hear the birds in the other room just fine. I did notice there was an option for headset. I'm wondering if a USB headset would work now.

Can't wait for Tuesday. Anyone know if the Classic Controller Pro that's being released with the game has analog buttons that can be pushed in (like the PS2/Xbox ones could)? I know the ones for the Classic Controller can't.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm getting the exclusive European pack with the Wii speak, controller and figurine included, soon as it comes out end of this week

The learning curve of this series is extreme and the patience you need to achieve certain things in the games can be extreme as well. The appeal of the series is that you will need lots of skill, maxed out armor doesnt give you a lot of extra HP/defense. Every different monster has certain patterns/moves that you'll need to learn to predict so you can beat them, you can never just run in and start slashing around, that just gets you killed.

Its hard to explain what exactly this game is like, you just have to play it for yourself or at least check some youtube footage. To me Monster Hunter is just a very challenging and addicting game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dang, I still have to play the demo that I picked up. Where has the time gone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JanLazer

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu View Post
    Damn, next week already? jeez time went quick.
    And I would join someones clan or something, but i need some serious training
    before I even touch online.
    A lot of people will need retraining since the controls are going to be different. Last few releases were on PSP, I'm still trying to get the hang of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. lol.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JanLazer View Post
    A lot of people will need retraining since the controls are going to be different. Last few releases were on PSP, I'm still trying to get the hang of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. lol.
    I actually heard they're not that different at all but that the gameplay is more fluent/less glitchy and that the Wii version has been made a bit easier and thus more accessible than the PSP versions.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about as a single player off line experience? I've never played a Monster hunter game before and am offline won't be worth it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    How about as a single player off line experience? I've never played a Monster hunter game before and am offline won't be worth it.
    Offline is definitely worth it. I've played most of the PSP series on my own and its great fun, but it just gets extremely hard when you reach the higher ranked guild quests.

I'm actually more afraid the game will become too easy when u go online. The quests dont change (monster's HP and everything is the same as when singled). All of the quests are doable on your own but if youre with a group you'll probably end up standing in a circle around a monster, hammering him while he's constantly being stunned because of the amount of hits... That ruins the game.

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game plays just fine in single player.

Really looking forward to giving this a go. I just hope it keeps pace with MHF:Unite which I consider one of the best games I've ever played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The classic controller gets a little used to, but so far I am about 4 hours into it. I am preferring the Wii version of the game.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I got it a few days ago along with wii speak and a classic controller pro.Even though this is the frist one i've played in the serise i'm getting the hang of it some what I've been mixing it up playing it on and offline.Btw online play so far has been good expect,for the last night when i got diced i guess so many people are playing online has cuase stress on it's server.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I just got done putting about a 5 hour session with a friend online last night in the game. The initial setup to meet someone is a little hokey, but the game ran well. Wii Speak makes my friend sound like he is 15 years old(hes 35), but I could hear him well enough. For a Free action MMO, not too bad.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the European pack with the controller, wii speak and figurine yesterday. So far the game seems great (only spent about 3 hours playing so far though).