Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Atari 2600 Air Raid box found

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if it's still a prank at this point, it certainly isn't funny anymore. Some are suggesting it's a reverse april fools joke. I don't think it's a coincidence this showed up when it did.

I still have a hard time believing the box would say it's the "debut" game by menavision. When has any box ever said something like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by vxkens View Post
    Well if it's still a prank at this point, it certainly isn't funny anymore. Some are suggesting it's a reverse april fools joke. I don't think it's a coincidence this showed up when it did.

I still have a hard time believing the box would say it's the "debut" game by menavision. When has any box ever said something like that?
    I agree.

It just doesn't make sense how the box says "Air Raid" when I thought no one knew the exact name for the game, as there was no mention of it in the game itself.

It would be nice if it was real, though. If it is, I bet a certain member would DREAM to have such Terrific Rare boxed version of the game. I wonder who might win it in the end?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I agree.

It just doesn't make sense how the box says "Air Raid" when I thought no one knew the exact name for the game, as there was no mention of it in the game itself.

It would be nice if it was real, though. If it is, I bet a certain member would dream to have such terrific rare boxed version of the game. I Wonder007who might win it in the end?
    Fixed your quote for you!
    yep yep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Hahahaha, who knows!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    So, a person who is going to get a cut of the final cash amount is "independently" verifying that it is legit? You should be more skeptic because of this, not less.
    The proceeds go to the site, not Albert who verified although he pretty much runs the whole site. If it were not legit then no one would get the money. I'm not at all skeptic, as the pictures are pretty clear cut and not some blurry pictures that are taken from far away.
    I am a collector of the classics (Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, 3DO, Saturn, etc.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Looks to me that this thing is very legit. Looks like the April Fools joke is that the box is real and everyone wanted to NOT believe. There will be SEVERAL collectors going after this, forum members and lurkers.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    Looks to me that this thing is very legit. Looks like the April Fools joke is that the box is real and everyone wanted to NOT believe. There will be SEVERAL collectors going after this, forum members and lurkers.
    But the thing is, how can they know the game is called "Air Raid" if the name was unknown? From what I recall, the game was independently called that, as there was no indication of the name anywhere on the cart. For all we know, the game could have been called "UFO Attack" or "Aliens Go Boom" for all we know.

Unless there was a mention anywhere that actually confirms the name to be "Air World", I will remain skeptical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But the thing is, how can they know the game is called "Air Raid" if the name was unknown? From what I recall, the game was independently called that, as there was no indication of the name anywhere on the cart. For all we know, the game could have been called "UFO Attack" or "Aliens Go Boom" for all we know.

Unless there was a mention anywhere that actually confirms the name to be "Air World", I will remain skeptical.
    Air Raid = Air World!

It's all coming together now.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The name came from the box...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic...3#entry1784393

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the official thread on AA regarding the auction, I believe someone mentioned that the creator of the game confirmed the game was actually called Air Raid. It's somewhere in the 20-30 pages of the thread.
    I am a collector of the classics (Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, 3DO, Saturn, etc.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Callin View Post
    Air Raid = Air World!

It's all coming together now.
    For some reason, I was thinking Swordquest instead of Air Raid.

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    For the time being, I will accept it with a grain of salt. Until another box surfaces, doubt will linger as if this box is legit or not.

Hell, maybe one day I will find a CIB copy of the game, as I did (with my brother) many years ago with Condor Attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Just in case it is real and gets heavy media attention, I'm taking advantage of Capatalism to it's fullest.

http://men-a-vision.com/

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

you might want to flood that page with Google ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For the time being, I will accept it with a grain of salt. Until another box surfaces, doubt will linger as if this box is legit or not.
    Huh?

If this box is fake (according to you), what's to stop someone from making another fake? How does another similar box popping up change anything one way or the other? Your reasoning defies logic and makes no sense whatsoever.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's a certain point where whether something is fake stops mattering. If a fake is so flawless that everybody believes it's real then from both a philosophical and economic standpoint it becomes real by virtue of the fact that everybody will value it as such.

A little disheartening, sure. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. The odds of a fake being so absurdly good that everybody is fooled are exceedingly slim. Possible, but slim.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 04-02-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

There will be people that will continue to question this one, but I think that it is very safe to consider this one real at this point. For more info one just has to to atariage forums and read the 800 posts this auction has generated.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really comes down to AA's past history with some incredible April Fool's Day jokes. Each year, some new proto or rarity is "discovered" and there's a lot of hoopla until the joke is revealed. The AA April Fool's Day pranks are legendary.

So this one-of-a-kind-oh-my-God-rare-as-hell-never-before-seen-or-pictured game box is "discovered" on 4/1 and is discussed at length on AA. Al got involved to "validate its authenticity." Of COURSE no one is gonna take it seriously because there has been one too many of these kinds of situations in the past. If this had surfaced in, say, September....then there wouldn't be nearly the amount of scepticism as seen now.

Personally, I waited all damn day yesterday for the other shoe to drop, but I'm beginning to think that this is either real (and the timing is off) or that someone is going to INCREDIBLE lengths for a joke (and one whose time has passed). Looks like it's real.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm calling real too and if it is then what rare games for the 2600 still need boxes to be found for them?
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    what rare games for the 2600 still need boxes to be found for them?
    Ultravision Karate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by AcePuppy View Post
    In the official thread on AA regarding the auction, I believe someone mentioned that the creator of the game confirmed the game was actually called Air Raid. It's somewhere in the 20-30 pages of the thread.
    If the creator of the game can be contacted to verify the name of the game, couldn't that individual also verify the legitimacy of the box?
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill