Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 Game Room, thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really wish they would take game suggestions for titles that could potentially be in the arcade. Their selection doesn't interest me at all.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thetoxicone View Post
    Hell Yeah, I'll be all over megamania next week
    I should edit this so it doesn't say next week, I will say I'm quite annoyed I can't turn on my 360 and play megamania right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game pack 3 is now downloadable and megamania is amazing as always

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    They did such a good job with the 1 vs 100 thing, making it a beta and ironing out kinks and whatnot, and for this it does seem like they've done the exact opposite.

Does it make sense that they could've opened it up and put everything on free play for awhile in beta and ironed out the kinks for as long as they wanted to, and then announced it was gold and free play was off?

I'm definitely disappointed. But I'll admit that if/when they get it running properly I'll forgot about the initial disappointments.
    Agreed entirely, it's early days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

I've been all over Night Stalker. Fun game, nicely designed.

Anyone else try to "fool" the Game Room into thinking you've been playing for longer than you have? I was messing around with a few achievements that are time based, sitting in a safe spot and then tapping left or right every odd minute or so while I did something else. After a few hours or so of this I'd die, but then the game would only recognize 5 minutes or so of gameplay. It's like it accounts for the keystroke and a few seconds after, but otherwise if there is no activity it does not log that towards playtime. Crafty, they are!
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by grolt View Post
    I've been all over Night Stalker. Fun game, nicely designed.

Anyone else try to "fool" the Game Room into thinking you've been playing for longer than you have? I was messing around with a few achievements that are time based, sitting in a safe spot and then tapping left or right every odd minute or so while I did something else. After a few hours or so of this I'd die, but then the game would only recognize 5 minutes or so of gameplay. It's like it accounts for the keystroke and a few seconds after, but otherwise if there is no activity it does not log that towards playtime. Crafty, they are!
    I use a turbo controller. If you tape down the A button it will load, play , restart with out any input. I've used it a bunch for the games I can't stand.

Avoid Super Breakout like the plague. Some of the worst ported controls I've ever experienced.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    I use a turbo controller. If you tape down the A button it will load, play , restart with out any input. I've used it a bunch for the games I can't stand.

Avoid Super Breakout like the plague. Some of the worst ported controls I've ever experienced.
    I've tried rubber banding and taping in both Adventure and Night Stalker, and both times no dice. The game exits, pauses or just flat out stops logging time after a few minutes of inactivity. I was able to rubber band the analog stick right while facing a wall in Pitfall and it did go the full 20 minutes, though.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ConsoleAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox 360 Game Room: Disastrous!

I did a search here about the XBL Game Room and I couldn't find anything here.

Has anyone tried out this trainwreck/rip-off here? Nothing like spending $3 on stuff like Kaboom! or Circus Atari and playing it with a useless controller. Nothing like spending $3 on archaic Atari 2600 games from the 1970's or Intellivision games that require 2-players. Granted, there's some good stuff like Black Widow and Frostbite but much of the software leaves much to be desired. Too many games are unplayable with the 360 controller.

The only good news is that all the games allow you a 10-minute demo so you suffer through Kaboom! as it plays with a 360 controller as if you're drunk, yet you are sober.

Maybe in the future, if more companies put their wares in the Game Room, it could be something if the games remain cheaper than VC offerings. Right now, it's only good for Achievement Gigolos.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

There are alternative controllers which work way better. You're not stuck with the regular one.

Great for the classics

Great for fighters, beat-em ups, basically anything where you just need a good d pad.
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 08-08-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    There are alternative controllers which work way better. You're not stuck with the regular one.

Great for the classics
    That controller is a disaster and isn't good for anything. It's not even decent with 1 button Atari 2600 titles. Anyone that has ever held a 2600 joystick doesn't have to look beyond the layout of that to know it's going to be a disaster.

And it's even worse when you actually hold it in your hands where you can fully appreciate it's faults in every category.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    That controller is a disaster and isn't good for anything. It's not even decent with 1 button Atari 2600 titles. Anyone that has ever held a 2600 joystick doesn't have to look beyond the layout of that to know it's going to be a disaster.

And it's even worse when you actually hold it in your hands where you can fully appreciate it's faults in every category.
    I have both, and to be honest, I never even tried the Atari wannabe controller because I use the street fighter pad for almost everything. I only have it because it was at the thrift shop for 4 or 5 bucks, so I snagged it.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by ConsoleAddict View Post
    I did a search here about the XBL Game Room and I couldn't find anything here.
    Maybe because Game Room is a Modern Gaming thing, not a Classic gaming thing?

Took me a few seconds to find other Game Room threads, to which this one will be merged in with.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I opened up game room for the first time in quite awhile and noticed that they changed a few things after they had me download an update. My konami arcade games are now in a generic white sit down instead of the regular arcade cabinet. They also updated the in screen area and made some of the totals easier to locate on the main screens.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by thetoxicone View Post
    I opened up game room for the first time in quite awhile and noticed that they changed a few things after they had me download an update. My konami arcade games are now in a generic white sit down instead of the regular arcade cabinet. They also updated the in screen area and made some of the totals easier to locate on the main screens.
    They still have it? I've never even seen it...I assumed it must have flopped and they got rid of it. Guess I'll have to google it. I'm getting old.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Yeah, they still have it, and you know what? It's not nearly the disaster that people in this thread will have you believe. It's actually quite cool. My only real beef with it is that the game selection is kind of lackluster. Konami in particular really needs to step up to the plate. Some of their releases are just crap. However, theres been many cool Atari coin op games on there. And I absolutely love Road Fighter.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Yeah, they still have it, and you know what? It's not nearly the disaster that people in this thread will have you believe. It's actually quite cool. My only real beef with it is that the game selection is kind of lackluster. Konami in particular really needs to step up to the plate. Some of their releases are just crap. However, theres been many cool Atari coin op games on there. And I absolutely love Road Fighter.
    What is it? $5 per game or $0.50 per play? (According to google.) $5 for an arcade version, I can do. $5 for a port, no thank you. $0.50 per play?? Not a chance. It would be cool if friends could visit my arcade & play at a discounted rate on the machines I've bought. Maybe $0.10 per play or something. Something to promote the social aspect of it.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

games at 240 points so $3 so depending on the games some are well worth that some are nowhere near worth that.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been enjoying "Off The Wall" for the 2600. Also, the arcade version of Jackal is great. Hard, though, if all you were brought up on was the NES version.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I agree. I love popping into there every once in awhile to play the games I've bought, see if I can improve my place in the ranked leader boards.

It definitely needs some new life though: There are more than the 4 publishers out there with classic stuff to populate something like this with. I wish MS could get someone else on board.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Namco and Capcom are supposed to be signed on now, so you should be seeing more coinops then just early Atari content and Konami titles making their way to the service.

Of course, the implosion at Krome might mean nothing ever comes of that.