Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deadly Premonition! The WTF of the Year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had this game since launch (it was only like $20 the day it came out)
    I played it for maybe an hour and kind of forgot about it. Not sure why as it was pretty entertaining especially at $20 new! Need to break this game out again soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's definitely fun but I wouldn't rate it above Alan Wake or Heavy Rain....

Unique and well worth the $20 tho....and funny as HELL. I do find it a bit tedious however.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    It's definitely fun but I wouldn't rate it above Alan Wake or Heavy Rain....
    Utterly destroys both of them.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IDK about Alan Wake (haven't played it yet), but Heavy Rain was terrible to me. It didn't know if it was a bad game or a worse movie. Hard to enjoy that... Deadly Premonition would be on my top list for 360 disk games. It knows it's crazy and just has fun with it.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

agent york smokes fbi brand cigarettes in the opening video....that is all.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Finally snagged a copy of this gem. It's hilarious so far. I love how the music alternates between being very eerie and atmospheric (like Angelo Badalamenti's Twin Peaks score) and being just completely inappropriate-for-the-situation smooth jazz. It clashes with the on screen drama so heavily it's almost disorienting.

There's a lot crammed into this little budget title, too. The driving sequences are pretty cool, and I love how you can get on the highway and go into the woods---this is something I haven't seen any of Rockstar's games tackle yet, actually.

Does the text and character models remind anyone else of Shenmue?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alan Wake > Deadly Premonition > Heavy Rain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The Woods and the Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by TheJuggy2011
    "Zack do you remember that time.......of course not you were drunk as fuck."
    EDIT: Didn't realize until now that somebody already linked to The Whistle Theme so I went with another favorite tune. The funny quote comes from The Whistle Theme page.
    Last edited by RARusk; 09-29-2011 at 09:34 PM.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity View Post
    Your buying decision can probably best be swayed by watching this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa19-c1R_Qg
    Jesus. That was boring as hell.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The Whistle Theme - 8-Bit Style

Quote Originally Posted by DemonScoot View Post
    Don't you remember Zach? Back in the 70's and 80's when all these new and exciting "audio-visual simulators" were coming out?

That's right, videogames!

Atari 2600, Colecovision, Commodore 64. I remember you getting so upset one night after I beat you at Pong that you accused me of cheating.

Times back then sure were simple, weren't they Zach?
    Quote Originally Posted by pspvampire View Post
    Do you hear this Zach? Clear as a crisp spring morning, 8BIT in the coffee.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Found lots of good "Deadly Premonition" fan art, music, and even recipes for making your own Sinners Sandwich in this thread at SomethingAwful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I tried playing Deadly Premonition, it was going to be my next game to finish. The story looks awesome, and the main character is messed up enough to be interesting. But I ended up uninstalling it from my 360 and putting it away. I was just fighting the interface too much for it to be any fun at all.

There's something to shoot right there. RIGHT THERE! Turn around! No, stop aiming, so you can turn. Wrong stick, that just turns the camera. Oh, but the camera snapped back. Ok, aim. No, other trigger. Fire with...A? No, you can't move while you're shooting. There's no way to run?

It was too frustrating to be playable.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I tried playing Deadly Premonition, it was going to be my next game to finish. The story looks awesome, and the main character is messed up enough to be interesting. But I ended up uninstalling it from my 360 and putting it away. I was just fighting the interface too much for it to be any fun at all.

There's something to shoot right there. RIGHT THERE! Turn around! No, stop aiming, so you can turn. Wrong stick, that just turns the camera. Oh, but the camera snapped back. Ok, aim. No, other trigger. Fire with...A? No, you can't move while you're shooting. There's no way to run?

Everything you just said is 100%, absolutely, completely true, but I love it anyway.

I honestly tell everyone who asks about it to play it on easy. Some of the later monsters are unfair enough that the combat starts getting in the way regardless.

Still: best ending this generation. Best main character this generation. Best Sobokan mini-game this generation. Best use of invisible friend as player-metaphor this generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

The interface has issues for sure, but with some practice you actually get better at it, and it becomes doable. By the end I was taking out those wall crawlers without taking a hit.

Resonance of fate: now there's a game ruined by a shitty interface. The game is so cool conceptually, but the battles are ridiculously unfair and complicated. I gave up on ot.

Anyway, back to dp. I finished the game last weekend and it was fantastic. I've been playing the game on and off for about a year and I finally beat it. I was actually very sad to finish it because I enjoyed spending time in green vale so much. This game just backs up what I've always felt: Japan always makes the best games. They may be quirky or have interface problems, but I always enjoy a well-made and unique Japanese game. Don't get me wrong--I love my fair share of western games too. But there's a clumsiness to the voice acting and awkwardness to the whole experience that is just bizarrely fascinating to me, and I can't get enough.

After finishing this I jumped into metal gear solid 3 on the hd collection, and I love that game for a lot of the same reasons.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.928528,-118.227065

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found the controls manageable enough. They feel a bit odd when you first play them, but you get better at using them as you go along, which to me indicates that there's really not anything wrong there. If you screw up, it's because you screwed up, not because the controls were unresponsive. Except for the handling of the cars - that's pretty messed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You need to get the Grecotch which is the guitar owned by Keith. You'll need to do a handful of Side-Quests to get at it though but shouldn't take too long. It is the second most powerful weapon, behind the RPG, in the game and will make combat much easier. It will kill Shadows in one hit and Crawling Shadows in two. And, while you're going after the Guitar, you should also go after the Radio as well. It will make traveling around much faster.

But you should still go after the Infinite Firearms as they will needed for the Boss battles. And you should also do the Side-Quests to acquire the Weather Doll which will allow you to regenerate your health.

Since my last post I decided to go after the Achievement for beating the game on Hard. After that I went ahead and did a guide for the game which has been up at GameFAQs for awhile. I couldn't resist - I enjoyed the game too much not to do one. Won a FAQ of the Month award for it too.

Oh, if you're wondering why a guitar is such a powerful weapon, it's because it is a visual pun. I'll let you figure it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Heads up: the Directors' Cut of this game will be released on April 30th but only on the PS3. No word on an X360 release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Already preordered it.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Had this preordered since the day it was put up on amazon

I know they fixed a bunch of gameplay issues and the map, but am I the only one that feels kind of sad to see those cluster fucks go?

If it wasn't for the fucked up map, I wouldn't have bothered to learn how to drive by memorizing landmarks and exploring on my own, that's how I stumbled on most of my playthroughs hidden items

And the fucked up driving mechanics, car mysteriously jerking to the left like it was possessed, over time i came to like that lol, felt like i was breaking in a horse, by the end i could anticipate when it was going to act and preemptively compensate

I doubt it will be included but it would be nice if he included the original unaltered game on disc so u could see just how far the games come with all of the new enhancements
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."