OK,

I have an early 1st Gen SMS with the Sony V7040 video encoder and I wanted to add an S-Video and audio jacks to it. It's been a PITA trying to track down the data so I thought I'd share.

The data sheet can be found out on www.datasheetarchive.com and it does have a different pinout than the typical CXA-1145 encoder.

I found this simple amp on the SMS Power! forum and modified it to use pots instead of fixed resistors.

Code:
.           | +5v
.           |
.           |
.video   | / c 
.in   ---|<
.        | \ e
.      NPN  |   27   video
.           +--RRR--- out
Instead of a 2N3904 I used some generic pair of NPN transistors and they worked fine.

The pins to tap on the encoder chip are 14 for Y and 13 for C. Build 2 amps on one small piece of perfboard and use one for Y and the other for C.

Tap pin 1 on the A/V jack for audio. This can be done from the top by soldering to the side of the exposed leg.

+5v can be tapped off the diode next to the CPU. Ground can be tapped anywhere. Cut the section of the RF shield off at the back, but not all the way up to the 90 degree bend... Leave about 1/8" hanging down so you can fold that under, flat against the top to keep it from cutting the wires.

Reassemble and enjoy!

Before: (RF output fed through VCR then out composite to Sony HD LCD monitor)

After: (S-Video output fed directly to Sony HD LCD monitor)