Thread: Different Ecco Labels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Different Ecco Labels

I'm guessing there's no gameplay difference, but one of my ecco carts is slightly different than the other. Larger Ecco Font is on the Left. Also they both have different color tones. Anyone know why?
    Last edited by HappehLemons; 01-23-2010 at 12:51 AM.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking at the backs of the two carts, the one on the left says "Assembled in USA", while I'm guessing the one on the right says "Made in Japan" (like my copy). That likely has something to do with the differences.

I was looking through some Genesis cartridges earlier and noticed the same thing. I think it's the result of different print runs or different factories (Maybe different label art gets sent to different regions on purpose?). I have 2 different versions of Sonic the Hedgehog; one is from Japan, the other from China, and the labels are a little different, as are the boxes.

The weirdest one (in my collection) that I've tripped across yet is The Little Mermaid. I have 3 different versions. One is the Majesco release, so that's obvious, but the other two have pretty much identical boxes, production notes, copyrights, etc., but the art is very clearly different between them.

The top two are original plastic case versions. The one on the bottom is Majesco.

Again, the top two are the older release(s), the bottom is Majesco. Notice that the top right cartridge's image appears to be the only "correct" one, as all of the others are zoomed and flipped (as evidenced by the box art below).

This time, the top two copies have their corresponding box above them. The bottom left copy belongs in the Majesco box (cardboard), and the one on the bottom right is just a beat-up, cart-only Majesco.

Looking at the first photo, I'm guessing that since the middle cartridge matches that of the Majesco release, the top cartridge is the original release. And actually, now I'm sure of it. I just read the numbers from each box, and the one I'm calling the original begins with "670", while the others begin with "671". As for why they changed it, I have no idea.

Oh, and one other thing. Both of the Majesco carts (and most other Majesco carts I own) have a small black sticker covering the raised "SEGA" logo on the back of each cartridge. Go figure.
    Last edited by allyourblood; 01-23-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

One is made in Japan, the other is made in the USA. I've noticed the difference with a couple copies of the game myself, there's also slight differences with the packaging too. That's a reason why I don't like getting loose carts and boxes separately, they need to match and most people don't notice slight revisions with these games as they're not all that obvious. I'm pretty sure the copy made in Japan was made first, the earlier games I have all seem to be made there.