Thread: Gretzky 3d hockey for the n64

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Gretzky 3d hockey for the n64

Are all the NHL teams represented in the 2 Gretzky hockey games for the n64? Considering getting the first title, based on more favorable reviews. Side note, how's NHL2K2 for Dreamcast?
    Last edited by kainemaxwell; 11-07-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both games are sweet. Gretzky Hockey has all of the teams, if I remember correctly. Ben awhile. NHL 2K2 is amazing, easily one of my all time favorite hockey games ever. It's worth the price paid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The first one's definitely better. The second Midway N64 hockey game, Gretzky '98 (released in '97), and the third one, Olympic Hockey Nagano '98 (released in '98), which are virtually identical except for the teams involved, tried to make things more simulation-like, among other things by making it harder to score. The first game's a lot more fun, and plays like the classic Midway arcade sports game it is. The graphics aren't great, but the gameplay is... yeah, I'd definitely recommend it. You can take or leave the second though, probably don't bother. I do have both, but don't think I paid over $2 for the second... (don't have the Olympic one though, no point) if it'd been any more I wouldn't have gotten it. I wanted to see if it was worse as I'd heard, and yes, it is.

Oh, it does save more stats, so it requires a lot more memory card blocks to save (neither has on-cart saving). Despite being a sports game, the first one has a quite small save file, which is nice. It's an arcade game, you don't need detailed stat tracking for everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't comment on Gretzky '98 since I didn't own it, but the first Gretzky game is great if you like "NBA Jam" style gameplay. If you're looking for hockey realism, look elsewhere, but I'm a fan.

The game is also important for historical purposes since it was the first N64 game that could go up to 4 players, so it's must have for that reason regardless.

As for the full slate of teams...it had every team that existed up to 1996. I'm positive that Columbus, Minnesota, Nashville, and Atlanta aren't in the game (though it's been a while since I've played).

All of that said, whatever you do, stay the hell away from Olympic Hockey Nagano.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The back of the box on my PAL copy of Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey says:
    "includes all 26 teams, each with 17 available players in the actual NHL lines"

It's quite a fun game, assuming you're expecting an arcade-style Midway experience and not a realistic hockey game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remeber playing this game for hour, just trying to Hit the other players and watch the back flip they make in slow motion when they get hit !
    I'm a hockey fan, but i hate simulation sport games.. But Wayne gretzky hockey 3d is very Fun !
    But the one on NES is SO BAD !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey. If I remember correctly (I do not have my cart near me) I thought Midway put this one out. I am pretty confident they did. They are the same dudes that brought us NFL Blitz, which is equally a fun game