Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sega CD with Model 1 Genesis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by theredlineboss View Post
    For some reason, I like how obnoxiously large the "super battleship formation" is.
    What's the doohickey on the front?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    What's the doohickey on the front?
    Its an official Sega wireless controller receiver. It actually works great too if your console is sitting relatively close to where your hands sit when you play. They feel great and are my favorite offical genesis controllers with both the feel of the "battrangs" but the button quality and layout of the later models. I'ed use them more if my genesis in an awkward sitting location.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Holy shit. Do they sell non-wireless versions of those controllers?

I have a few wired six-button controllers but honestly, I hate how small they are. Why couldn't they make them big and round like the regular three-button controllers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

I have a few wired six-button controllers but honestly, I hate how small they are. Why couldn't they make them big and round like the regular three-button controllers?
    I really don't know why they didn't just stick with the battarang design, I know that a few third party Genesis controllers did just house 6 buttons inside what looked like the original shell but most of those looked kinda cheap.

The other problem with these controllers is that if you own an X'eye or a CDX it won't work. The way that it slots in is that is used the standard distance of the two controller ports to plug into the system, since the X'eye and CDX have different layouts it just wont fit. However I think you might be able to plug in a couple of the controller extension cables then plug the receiver into that...I think I'm going to try this.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You could try to get the controllers for the Model 3 Genesis, they're 6 button but the same size like the original 3 button ones. I borrowed the image from google, it's still on photobucket so I don't think I'm stealing bandwidth. I didn't want to have to re-host it somewhere else.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Wow, if I'd known model 3 had a cool controller like that, I might've gotten one.

Anyway, Sega CD 2 with Gen 1 might be ugly, but it's NOTHING next to the hosebeast that a Sega CD 1 with Gen 2 forms. Now that is gnaw your arm off to get away without waking it in the morning ugly.

Okay, I'm greatly exaggerating, but seriously it looks worse than the other way around.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    The other problem with these controllers is that if you own an X'eye or a CDX it won't work. The way that it slots in is that is used the standard distance of the two controller ports to plug into the system, since the X'eye and CDX have different layouts it just wont fit. However I think you might be able to plug in a couple of the controller extension cables then plug the receiver into that...I think I'm going to try this.
    I'm pretty sure you can. I don't have that particular device, but I always used extender cables for my Akklaim wireless IR Gen and SNES controller receivers. That way you can use them on any systems that support the controller standard, and you can put the sensor anywhere you need it to be.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're talking about the bottom center (I think it's the Model 3, and I think the one Gameguy shows is a Model 4) then yea way to small but the ones up top are a good size, same layout as the wireless and only slightly smaller than the wireless. The wireless is maybe 1/8" bigger and the start button is moved because of the batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can. I don't have that particular device, but I always used extender cables for my Akklaim wireless IR Gen and SNES controller receivers. That way you can use them on any systems that support the controller standard, and you can put the sensor anywhere you need it to be.
    This, and as soon as I get another SNES extender the SNES receiver will be up there too.

My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

*Adds to checklist: Get two six-button controllers like the one Gameguy showed*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

*Adds to checklist: Get two six-button controllers like the one Gameguy showed*
    If your interested check out this page for a fairly complete listing of all the Genesis third party controllers along with a few links under game controllers near the bottom of the page. Their are several more battarang 6 button variants available, I just don't want to fill out the topic with images.

http://segaretro.org/Sega_Mega_Drive...ty_Controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas
    How are the SNES wireless options?
    It would take a lot for me to give up on my ASCII pads.

Quote Originally Posted by understatement
    *words*
    Awesome! Now I'm going to pick up some of those cables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

A lot of the controllers featured on that page look pretty sweet. I especially like the Competition Pro mark III.

Yeah, you know what I'm gonna be hunting for when I get back into fighting games.

Heh, one of them is called the "dual turbo." I mistakenly read that as "turbo duo."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally really enjoy the Model 1 Genesis with the Model 2 Sega CD. Like others have mentioned, you get superior audio for Genesis and the reliability of the Model 2 Sega CD. The best looking though is the original Model 1 Japanese Mega CD, that thing just looks amazing when you see it's purdy lights and such. Someone on Sega16 posted an unboxing video of one and it was a really cool watch.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    If your interested check out this page for a fairly complete listing of all the Genesis third party controllers along with a few links under game controllers near the bottom of the page. Their are several more battarang 6 button variants available, I just don't want to fill out the topic with images.

http://segaretro.org/Sega_Mega_Drive...ty_Controllers
    Fairly complete? Doesn't even have Beeshu in there. Before the 6 button pads came in, I lived and breathed my Beeshu Striker pad with the built in headphone extension cord. Sadly, their similar SNES pad, the Angler, was the biggest waste of plastic this side of the Xbox Duke pads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Even so, that's an awful lot of sexy controllers.

... I think I'll need to be alone a minute...