Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
the mixer + audio is the best thing ever though. You really arent playing sega til you do that.
Agreed! I used to diss Sega audio back in the day... but boy does Genesis sound have its charm! Thank Yuzo Koshiro for that! Not to mention CD stuff.

If you're using a model 1, though, sometimes I wonder if a Y cable (mini-to-RCA style) from the headphone jack won't do the same- or better?

I've been experimenting with my new Genesis 1/Sega CD combo and I found that the headphone jack DOES output the CD audio as well as Genesis sound! So why the whole mixing cable thing? Of course Y cables didn't really exist much back then, and it would have been a ghetto way to hook up the console officially.. they needed an elegant way to make the Sega combo stereo-enabled from the rear of the unit ... but it sounds identical to me as using the mixing cable + audio jacks.

Maybe they're the same... or maybe some Sega expert can tell me if I'm better off running to my stereo directly from the headphone jack, or through the Sega CD audio jacks?