Thread: Sega CD with Model 1 Genesis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Functionally though... a model 1 Genesis with a Model 2 Sega CD is actually the best setup. Model 1 with "high definition graphics" written on the top, with no TMSS copy protection screen at the beginning, has been proven to have the best sound quality. And while a model 1 Sega CD is pretty good, and looks nice with a model 1 Genesis, the drive door can wear out over time. Sega CD 2 is a more reliable machine (though if your model 1 Sega CD works fine.. more power to you!)

So there you go: Model 1 Genesis and Model 2 Sega CD. And unless you're modding for S-video or live in PAL land with RGB output, mount a 32X on top just for the better composite output quality.

For the record, the sound quality of most Genesis 2's are garbage.. and the video quality is poor on all but the most rare iteration of Genesis 2.

I love my model 1 Genesis/Model 2 Sega CD setup I completed just a few weeks ago.... but yeah I found the "extender" piece... not to mention the RF shielding plate which bolts under the Genesis.... I really like the look of the setup! And like I said, those in the know will tell you it's a quality setup where it counts: performance and AV quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

yes the model 2 sega CD is way more reliable even if it feels cheap since alot of it is hollow plastic.

but its so UGLY~! lol.

the mixer + audio is the best thing ever though. You really arent playing sega til you do that.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    the mixer + audio is the best thing ever though. You really arent playing sega til you do that.
    Agreed! I used to diss Sega audio back in the day... but boy does Genesis sound have its charm! Thank Yuzo Koshiro for that! Not to mention CD stuff.

If you're using a model 1, though, sometimes I wonder if a Y cable (mini-to-RCA style) from the headphone jack won't do the same- or better?

I've been experimenting with my new Genesis 1/Sega CD combo and I found that the headphone jack DOES output the CD audio as well as Genesis sound! So why the whole mixing cable thing? Of course Y cables didn't really exist much back then, and it would have been a ghetto way to hook up the console officially.. they needed an elegant way to make the Sega combo stereo-enabled from the rear of the unit ... but it sounds identical to me as using the mixing cable + audio jacks.

Maybe they're the same... or maybe some Sega expert can tell me if I'm better off running to my stereo directly from the headphone jack, or through the Sega CD audio jacks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

it would do the same to an extent (the internal mixery is better quality than the headphone out), but the real beauty comes from blasting Sega CD games.

I was playing Ecco CD last night with the bass all the way up. talk about awesome.

hell its awesome if you play the cartridge one too!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try blasting the Sega CD version of Spiderman vs Kingpin. I think it has an awesome Spencer Nielson soundtrack.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BocoDragon View Post
    Functionally though... a model 1 Genesis with a Model 2 Sega CD is actually the best setup. Model 1 with "high definition graphics" written on the top, with no TMSS copy protection screen at the beginning, has been proven to have the best sound quality. And while a model 1 Sega CD is pretty good, and looks nice with a model 1 Genesis, the drive door can wear out over time. Sega CD 2 is a more reliable machine (though if your model 1 Sega CD works fine.. more power to you!)

So there you go: Model 1 Genesis and Model 2 Sega CD. And unless you're modding for S-video or live in PAL land with RGB output, mount a 32X on top just for the better composite output quality.

For the record, the sound quality of most Genesis 2's are garbage.. and the video quality is poor on all but the most rare iteration of Genesis 2.

I love my model 1 Genesis/Model 2 Sega CD setup I completed just a few weeks ago.... but yeah I found the "extender" piece... not to mention the RF shielding plate which bolts under the Genesis.... I really like the look of the setup! And like I said, those in the know will tell you it's a quality setup where it counts: performance and AV quality.
    Usually but some games react badly if you use a ram cart through a 32x if a model 1 genesis is used (Lunar II) and a few versions of the CD model 2 choke on other games (the one with a 240 laser didn't work well with Lunar 1). This is one of few systems where people should get more than one version.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Really, in the end of it all - I could care less about what a console looks like...
    How much less could you care, exactly?

Insert Coin (Level 0) theredlineboss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my case, I specifically wanted my model 1 Genesis to have a model 2 CD as its companion. For some reason, I like how obnoxiously large the "super battleship formation" is.

-Rob
    Last edited by theredlineboss; 11-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    Console Collection:
    TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx, 3DO, Master System, Genesis/ CD/ 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Gear, Lynx, GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan & PSP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by theredlineboss View Post
    For some reason, I like how obnoxiously large the "super battleship formation" is.
    What's the doohickey on the front?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    What's the doohickey on the front?
    Its an official Sega wireless controller receiver. It actually works great too if your console is sitting relatively close to where your hands sit when you play. They feel great and are my favorite offical genesis controllers with both the feel of the "battrangs" but the button quality and layout of the later models. I'ed use them more if my genesis in an awkward sitting location.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Holy shit. Do they sell non-wireless versions of those controllers?

I have a few wired six-button controllers but honestly, I hate how small they are. Why couldn't they make them big and round like the regular three-button controllers?