Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue with playing some NES games on my LCD TV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Issue with playing some NES games on my LCD TV

Hello,

I got 4:3 LCD TV in my room and I did find some issues with playing my NES on it. Btw. my NES is NTSC and all games are also NTSC.

This is the model of TV that I got: http://images.ox.ee/0/8/3/99605.jpg

Just to mention, all games run without any problems but I encountered minor glitches on two games.

For example:

Super Mario Bros. 3. - When I fire it up, it's all OK no problems but when I start first level in on the left side of screen there is white horizontal line like picture should be indent a bit to the left. Here is example:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/584/60431087.jpg

This white space on left side is the same as it is on my screen, also Mario can walk to it but he stops when encounters that white line that means it's (for TV) end of the screen (imaginary?)

Ninja Gaiden - When cutscene plays for example - first cutscene where Ryu's fighter duels - there is nothing like this but only small horizontal blue line that is visible on left side of screen.

Super Mario Bros 1 - Almost the same thing as for Super Mario Bros 3. but more minor, very little.

When I try to play it on "regular TV" (the bulky ones that has catode in it, to be more precise that has big "hunch" in the back - standard TV) there is no of this issue so the problem is in the TV obvious.

On my LCD TV I don't have too much options but when I change aspects to 4:3, 16:9 or auto - it remains the same.

I did try couple of more options but no luck

If you want - I can take picture of this so you can all see how it looks like.

Other games like Castlevania series and etc. dosen't have any of these problems.

Also to mention, SNES console and the SNES games dosen't have any of these problems.

Anyone has experience with this kind of stuff? Can I fix this in any way? Or just take it as it is and try not to be bothered by it too much?

If you need any more explanation of issue or information please tell me and I will do my best to present it in better way.

EDIT:

Hey people, I got SCART input on my TV - maybe this would help solve the problem - http://cgi.ebay.com/NES-Game-Console...item23034c3671 ?

Also, can someone tell me how using SCART makes picture more "crispy and better" because then I would invest in one for SNES too. Please advise me.

Thanks.

Thank you very much!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You're just seeing the "overscan" area that's not normally visible on a CRT television.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rittwage View Post
    You're just seeing the "overscan" area that's not normally visible on a CRT television.
    Any way to fix it? Would using SCART fix it?

Also, is there way to buy SCART for NTSC SNES if i wanted to? On Ebay I can find mostly for PAL consoles...

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
    Any way to fix it? Would using SCART fix it?
    I dont think its really fixable as its a normal thing in older game consoles. Games designed back then were designed for tv's that didnt show the entire picture sent to the tv by the source. LCD and other newer televisions show the whole picture. Maybe if you zoomed in a little with the tv if thats possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I dont think its really fixable as its a normal thing in older game consoles. Games designed back then were designed for tv's that didnt show the entire picture sent to the tv by the source. LCD and other newer televisions show the whole picture. Maybe if you zoomed in a little with the tv if thats possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
    OK, do you think investment (I have the money and it's not too much of investment) into SCART cables for NES and SNES could make picture better and maybe fix this problem?

Is it a worth of a try? Even if it dosen't fix it maybe it could make picture better? What are experiences when using SCART with NES?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

OK, do you think investment (I have the money and it's not too much of investment) into SCART cables for NES and SNES could make picture better and maybe fix this problem?

Is it a worth of a try? Even if it dosen't fix it maybe it could make picture better? What are experiences when using SCART with NES?
    I think the overscan you see is actually in the game itself so its not really something you can remove with high quality cables. Although, SCART would probably make the games look sharper and cleaner. I would ask someone else that has had some experience with SCART though as I am located in Canada and have never, ever seen or used a SCART cable before.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 10-15-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I think the overscan you see is actually in the game itself so its not really something you can remove with high quality cables. Although, SCART would probably make the games look sharper and cleaner. I would ask someone else that has had some experience with SCART though as I am located in Canada and have never, ever seen or used a SCART cable before.
    Oh, okay...

Any way to disable overscan on my Panasonic TX20LA80F? It seems I don't have it in options itself and also - no zoom option too Any other way?

Also if anyone has experiences how much SCART improves NES picture - let me know, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, I wanted to ask: if I try to use so called "PAL SNES SCART cable" on my NTSC SNES - is there possibility that I damage my NTSC SNES in any way or it will not display picture in worst case? Please answer.

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason I never have any trouble playing Nes games on my lcd. The only thing I can't really do on it is play Duck Hunt with the light gun.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, Zapper dosen't work on LCD

Anyone has any info on SCART thing for PAL SNES working on NTSC SNES? I heard from some people that it is working and someone says it's not...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where would you plug in an SCART cable on an NES? All it has is AV and RF.

There's probably nothing you can do about the overscan. You should try using RF, just in case the scaler is set up differently for the tuner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In fact, SCART is going in the TV and the other end of cable is A/V so It's doable.

Refer to my first post, Ebay link.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SCART is just a connecter type. You can carry different quality signals over a SCART cable, so the fact that it is SCART doesn't mean it's better quality. For the NES the best picture is composite (a/v) and the SCART cable you see for European NESs simply carry a composite signal.

For the SNES you can geta RGB SCART cable that will give you a better picture if your TV supports RGB, although I don't think the US SNES supports it without modification (I could be wrong on that though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Feather View Post
    SCART is just a connecter type. You can carry different quality signals over a SCART cable, so the fact that it is SCART doesn't mean it's better quality. For the NES the best picture is composite (a/v) and the SCART cable you see for European NESs simply carry a composite signal.

For the SNES you can geta RGB SCART cable that will give you a better picture if your TV supports RGB, although I don't think the US SNES supports it without modification (I could be wrong on that though).
    Hello,

Hm, but I already invested into that SCART that you see on Ebay link. Can I use it with my NTSC NES? Do you think picture will be atleas somewhat little better? It should, no?

Thanks.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hello,

Hm, but I already invested into that SCART that you see on Ebay link. Can I use it with my NTSC NES? Do you think picture will be atleas somewhat little better? It should, no?

Thanks.
    No, your picture will look exactly the same or possibly a little worse than just using $1 A/V cables. Read the auction again:

"# Replace that old RF lead with a nice new SCART cable instead, for much better picture and sound quality"

Yes, this is better than RF, but I don't imagine you were using RF to begin with. All you've done is buy something that adapts from one format to another, it will not improve video output.

EDIT: Where the heck did you get an NTSC TV with SCART anyway? That's crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    No, your picture will look exactly the same or possibly a little worse than just using $1 A/V cables. Read the auction again:

"# Replace that old RF lead with a nice new SCART cable instead, for much better picture and sound quality"

Yes, this is better than RF, but I don't imagine you were using RF to begin with. All you've done is buy something that adapts from one format to another, it will not improve video output.

I'm not from USA. I'm from Europe.

Anyways, what do to then? Should I just ignore that thingie on the left?

I have Panasonic TX-20LA80F LCD TV(http://images.ox.ee/0/8/3/99605.jpg) and I would like to somehow disable it's overscan.

I can't find any of options (even zoom in or zoom out) in menu so I was wondering if there is any way to disable overscan on this Panasonic model?

I heard that for some TV's there are special code that needs to be input in remote control to acess menu that has more options and where you can disable overscan.

Thanks in advance!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I heard that for some TV's there are special code that needs to be input in remote control to acess menu that has more options and where you can disable overscan.
    Yeah, I just came back to suggest this. It's usually called "service mode" or "service menu," and it's pretty hardcore stuff that can mess your TV up if you don't know what you're doing, so do your homework before you make any changes with it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of the Samsung LCDs had Scart sockets in them and they were sold in the US. The Syncmaster 910 MP and 940 MW had them, to name a few. These had worldwide TV tuners built in them, so you can send in a NTSC-J, NTSC and PAL signals and it would work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I just came back to suggest this. It's usually called "service mode" or "service menu," and it's pretty hardcore stuff that can mess your TV up if you don't know what you're doing, so do your homework before you make any changes with it.
    Well yeah, but where to find code for my TV...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, noone knows how would I solve this problem without buying CRT TV?

Thanks.