I never "got into" "retrogaming". I've just always played videogames and always liked getting the latest and greatest consoles which is how I got my current collections. I guess unlike a lot of kids, I was never one to abandon a console once a newer and better one came out. Rather, the newer console was just a cool addition to an already happy family of playable videogames!

So growing up I never saw anything odd about playing my 2600 when I got my brand new 5200 and Colecovision later. And I never thought twice about playing my 5200 when I got my Genesis & TG-16 and beyond. I didn't stop playing my NES when the SNES came out, And I didn't stop playing my SNES when the N64 came out, and I didn't stop playing my N64 when the Gamecube came out. You get the idea And that continues on to this day. i.e. I've just always played what I've had and never threw/gave/sold away anything. Sure I might play them less if I tired of most of the games. But it's always a sure bet that I'll get a hankering someday and play something on it again.

As far as playing forgotten oldies on Mame. That's just a case of finding those games I still wanted to play but just weren't around anymore. I don't consider it "retrogaming" or even nostalgic. I just consider it playing the games I've always liked

And I still don't consider myself a collector either since I don't really hunt.. No I'm really more a videogame PACKRAT