Thread: Early, Family-Friendly DOS 3D FPS Involving... Frogs?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Early, Family-Friendly DOS 3D FPS Involving... Frogs?

Here's another of those "What was the name of that game?" threads. This time, we're talking a DOS game, likely released between 1992 and 1994. It was definitely after Wolfenstein 3D and around the era of Ken's Labyrinth and DOOM. I believe it was originally distributed on floppy disks.

What I can remember of it is that it started underground. There were lots of wood textures which were used throughout as many of the walls were wooden and there were lots of wooden crates. What made it special at the time was though it was still sprite-based, you could look up and down, jump, and climb ladders, all things that DOOM lacked. About level three you finally made it to the outside but once out there it was even more dangerous than inside because there were lots of enemies about and they had long-range vision. The outside area was at night, and the graphics were somewhat cartoony in this game. And believe it or not, it seems that the game had something to do with frogs. Like the developer or publisher had "Frog" as part of the name, or the outdoors level had frogs as enemies.

Any ideas?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Shriek of the Mutilated's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, it doesn't start underground, nor is it dark outside, but H.U.R.L. (also known as Slob Zone 3D) is a non-violent DOS FPS with cartoony graphics and frog enemies:

Name:  Hurl_level_8.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  25.7 KB

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shriek of the Mutilated View Post
    Well, it doesn't start underground, nor is it dark outside, but H.U.R.L. (also known as Slob Zone 3D) is a non-violent DOS FPS with cartoony graphics and frog enemies.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but that sure isn't it. I would have remembered that game if it was!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there were the Catacomb series of games published by Froggman:

But those games used the Wolfenstein 3D engine, so nothing close to Doom quality. Also, probably wouldn't exactly classify it as "family-friendly". That makes it sound more like Chex Quest, but that game doesn't really fit the bill either.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Though I did play the Catacomb games, the game I'm thinking of was a later release in a different game engine, that's for sure.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

@TascoDLX: The Catacombs games actually used the "Pie in the Sky" game engine, not the Wolf3D game engine, though they had similar capabilities.

By the way, the mystery is solved... I think.

What I believe I was experiencing was a mishmash of memories where I was mixing up the kid-friendly, low-violence "Ken's Labyrinth" with the first-person 3D action of "Lethal Tender" with the name and logo of its publisher's label, Froggman, instead of a low-violence kid-friendly FPS with frogs. But hey, they were all from around 1993 so it's understandable some of their properties would get mixed up with each other in the misty memories of my mind, right?

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

Old thread, but I'm fairly certain Ken's Labyrinth had friendly looking enemies and a gun that shot pink slime at them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Omg other people remember Ken's Labyrinth? I found that game at a dollar store in the mid 90s and it was terrible. At the time I thought it was some kind of home made game.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12