Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saturn OutRun: The best version of the classic game because: 60FPS + remixed music?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    I can remember having a similar conversation in the late 90's on the now defunct Dreamcast Technical Pages Forum. I also remember when I unlocked the 60fps mode on my Sega Ages copy of Outrun.

It's a treat, no doubt about it! Jaw-dropping back in the day. But since the 60fps makes the game seem to run much slower in pace (not frame rate), it's a trade-off. It makes the game easier too.

I am a fan of 60FPS, no doubt about it. The Dreamcast and Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn sold me on it being "better" than lower framerates. Actually, Sonic Adventure 1 + 2 exemplify the problem 60FPS causes.

Sonic Adventure 1 is sub 30FPS and while it has a lot of precision in the controls it doesn't require pin point accuracy from the player to complete the game. Sonic Adventure 2 is sold 60FPS and has entire levels involving jumping from rails smaller than Sonic's feet. Both games are excellent, but the incredible precision allowed for in Sonic 2 basically required level design adjustments at a minimum.

By comparison I don't see anything in the gameplay of sprite scaler games that requires 60FPS sprite scaling. I also don't remember seeing anything that "smooth" in a game until Virtua Fighter 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    With respect to my comparison video on youtube it seems the quality is nerfed so it doesn't show accurately how much changes. I uploaded the video in proper quality here if anyone is interested:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RMDP356Q
    Just as a warning for the next person that trys to download this, I can't get any video with Windows Media Player or Quicktime, just audio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Just as a warning for the next person that trys to download this, I can't get any video with Windows Media Player or Quicktime, just audio.
    I downloaded it and it played fine for me in WMP. However I do have the K-lite codec pack installed so that might be the difference.

I have to say that the framerate is quite noticeable. I wasn't sure if I would be able to tell a big difference but DAMN, it's buttery smooth and looks quite amazing!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mention it's encoded with Xvid so you'll need VLC or compatible codecs for your media player.

Quote Originally Posted by slylecoco View Post
    2) Out Run Jap version is better, because smooth mode really change quality at screen.
    The USA Sega Ages has Smooth as well, I haven't tested the European release but I find it hard to believe they'd remove it. The Japanese release is preferred perhaps only since it has an arrange soundtrack and that's it. Likely due to space constraints it was dropped from the 3-in-1 Sega Ages pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman View Post
    Maybe I'm just a superior Outrun player compared to you...
    Let's be rational, perhaps I'm just a bit slower. Superior... well that's another matter altogether.
    Last edited by fahlim003; 02-16-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The USA Sega Ages has Smooth as well, I haven't tested the European release but I find it hard to believe they'd remove it. The Japanese release is preferred perhaps only since it has an arrange soundtrack and that's it. Likely due to space constraints it was dropped from the 3-in-1 Sega Ages pack.
    Sorry,

i always forget your version.

Excuse me !

here i'm in my sofa,

playing Out Run from Sega Arcade Gallery on my PSP, with Gba emulator,

Really impressive quality.

Just after Saturn,... Really great work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Japanese release is preferred perhaps only since it has an arrange soundtrack and that's it. Likely due to space constraints it was dropped from the 3-in-1 Sega Ages pack.
    I like that half the people say the Japanese version has both the original and arranged music while the American release just has the arranged, while the other half say the American version just has the original music.

It's not just this thread either, until I got both I wasn't sure just what the case was since you hear something different from every person and every site that discusses the Sega Ages release of this game.

Last edited by Leo_A; 02-16-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post

I realize that the U.S. and Euro versions released in 1997 (Sega Ages 3-in-1 ) lost the new remixed music, they only have arcade music, but they still retain the 60FPS framerate, thankfully.
    Cool! I never knew about this 60FPS mode. I will have to try it this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up!
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com