Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0) ShaoMappy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question about Bandai's Sufami Turbo

So, I've been thinking about buying a Sufami Turbo, the odd little Super Famicom add-on for playing bite-sized carts, for a while now. But I was just wondering if anyone here would happen to know, is it okay to use it on a modded American SNES? I've heard that some Japanese add-ons, like the Satellaview, can't be used with an American SNES, but does anyone have any experience with the Sufami Turbo?
    Last edited by ShaoMappy; 05-04-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, there's no one out there with both a Sufami Turbo and an American SNES, eh? Well, I suppose I might as well just buy the damn thing and try it myself. Was this a decent deal for one of them?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380113790114

Also, I've noticed that when playing some SF Turbo games on an emulator, they have SRAM save features. Did the Sufami Turbo games use battery backup? Has anyone ever opened one up to see what the inside looks like?

SO MANY QUESTIONS THAT WILL LIKELY GO UNANSWERED.
    Last edited by ShaoMappy; 05-06-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Japanese & American snes stuff can generally be used on each others consoles the only barrier to stopping them working is physical, due to them been the wrong shape to fit in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I know that, but I still wonder because of the fact that it was a later, out of-the ordinary thing. Plus, supposedly most of the later (circa 1996-upwards) games that used special chips like the SA1 also had region lockout (which reminds me, does anyone know if Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius will work on a modded American SNES? Supposedly it's another SA-1 chip game, so I'd assume it wouldn't).

Anyhoo, I guess I'll just wait and see if the Sufami works.
    Last edited by ShaoMappy; 05-07-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not that anyone gives a crap, but the SF Turbo arrived in the mail today, and it appears to work perfectly fine with an American SNES. I was a bit worried it wouldn't fit, since the upper part of the Sufami is designed to stick out a little bit horizontally from the cart slot, and I think that games in a Super Famicom stick out of the cart slot just a barely noticeable bit more than they do in an American system.

But nevertheless, it still (just barely) fits into my modded snes. This is exciting, no? No?

...Yeah, I'm beginning to think 20 bucks and all these posts was too much trouble for the tradeoff of playing a shovelware Bomberman clone starring a cast of furry animals. But hey, at least they're NINJA furry animals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry I read this thread too late - I seriously have at least 10 of these and would have sent you one for the price of postage. There always seems to be 5 of them in every big lot of SFC carts I get.

If anyone else wants one let me know

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi,Everyone

During a time when software storage was costing both the games manufacturer & the consumer, Bandai created the Sufami Turbo. This device was designed to sit on top of the Super Famicom, & contained 2 cartridge ports. The premise behind this idea is that games could be produced at a much cheaper rate (not having to rely on Nintendo). Unlike the Aladdin Deck Enhancer this device was officially approved by Nintendo under the proviso that Bandai handle all the hardware manufacturing themselves.