Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RPG backlog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to agree. Being new to the site. My backlog of games in general is RIDICULOUS. My rpg backlog is as follows.

Mass effect 2 and 3
    KoTor 1 and 2
    Elder scrolls: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
    FF 8, 9, 10, 12, 13
    Dragon Age Origins 1 and 2
    Borderlands 1 and 2
    Legend of Zelda 1 and 2
    7th saga
    Dungeon Master 2
    Dungeon Explorers
    Neutopia 1 and 2
    Eternal Ring
    Evergrace
    Summoner 1 and 2
    The bards tale (xbox version)
    Shadowgate 64
    Skies of Arcadia

Just to name a few.

Lord knows how many are gonna come out this year that will add to the pile.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I've only got 5 more dungeons to get through in the Final Fantasy II NES English prototype repro cart. Looks like that one will be knocked off my list sooner than later.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

If I can stop being distracted by other games, I'll be able to finish Final Fantasy V Advance. I'm playing a modified version that made some tweaks to the classes.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm not going to add games to the list because a lot have been added to my backlog since I posted it. New games and such, but I've actually completed FF13. I started playing through Final Fantasy 13-2 and I can't finish it. Game is garbage. I was going to play it because I think Lightning Returns might be a good game and still do despite the bad reviews, I liked FF10-2 because of its good gameplay, could be the same with Lightning Returns.

Just wanted to post a few things about Final Fantasy 13-2. Despite you might have heard people say it's different from FF13, you might like it even if you didn't like 13. BS. It's the exact same game with minor changes. Your third character is a group of three monsters you can use as a single character for paradigm shifts, so combat is no different, the world is actually a series of very small dungeons that you are constantly going back and forth to one end and then all the way back to the other end. lots of backtracking. There is pretty much no story, or atleast none that I've experienced other than going to every time to collect artifacts which seemingly drop you in the next timeline to collect more to get out of that one. The dialogue is just incredibly bad as characters may be experiencing some phenomenon for the very first time, yet they know exactly what it's called and exactly what it does, and this happens on multiple occasions within the first few hours.

So the gameplay isn't good, the story isn't good, and it's got some of the worst writing ever in an RPG. Square Enix is dead pretty much.

I really need to stop playing putting games I know are more than likely going to be bad in front of those that I'm more interested in playing. It's like I'm like, hmmm. I still haven't played Tales of Xillia, Fire Emblem Awakening, need to finish Etrian Odyssey 4. Oh I know, I'll play Final Fantasy 13-2. And I'm also playing Final Fantasy 4 DS again. The version of Final Fantasy 4 that I already know is a bad game.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-14-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My RPG backlog is actually starting to get on my nerves...

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) - I've been playing this since release in the summer, and I've sunk a 30-40 hours into it but I've not yet managed to reach the end. Mostly because I keep getting distracted by other games.
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - Played a bit of it. But put it on hold while I went back to SMT IV. Bought it because it was on sale.
    Paper Mario Stickerstar (3DS) - Unplayed. Bought when it went on sale for $20.
    Rune Factory 4 (3DS) - Unplayed. Sort of impulse bought it, fearing it might disapear after its developer shut down. Probably jumped the gun a little bit there...
    Project X Zone (3DS) - Not strictly an RPG, but close enough. I think I was a bit of a ways into it, before I put it down for SMT IV.
    Radiant Historia (DS) - Unplayed. Picked it for a decent price online. I'll get to it eventually.
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) - Actually I've had this for over a year and got a ways into it, before putting it down for Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (the only RPG I completely in 2013. and by 'complete' I mean beat one play though, and not the +game or the bonus dungeon). Will get back to it, I think I like it more then SMT IV.
    Knights in the Nightmare (DS) - Picked up cheap, tried to play a bit of it. But didn't really care for its mechanics. Probably won't go back to it any time soon.

RPGs I don't own. But want.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) - Questionably an 'RPG' but putting it here. The game I bought my 3DS for, but never actually got around to picking up.
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS) - I liked the first Mario & Luigi well enough.
    Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) - Another questionable RPG. I do like the strategy RPGs.

So yeah, backlog. Not sure how I'm going to put a dent in it. Especially since right now I'm playing, totally not an RPG, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds... That's a time sink and a half right there. I've got to beat SMT IV next. Got. To.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Paper Mario Sticker Star was a disappointment. I really, really wanted to like it (I'm a huge fan of the rest of the series), but they strayed too far from the original action RPG formula and the new sticker attack principle, while interesting on paper (heh), is annoying in practice. If the stickers were used only for special attacks and items, it'd already be a huge improvement. Also, since they got rid of the experience points/leveling up feature in the game, it makes it a lot less interesting to fight regular enemies on the field. Hopefully, the next title in the series will be once more a flat-character cousin to the Mario and Luigi series.

Oh, and to go back to my backlog: I did finish Ys: Memories of Celceta and am on my way to finish Ys II on the PSP.
    Last edited by Lady Jaye; 01-15-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'm not going to add games to the list because a lot have been added to my backlog since I posted it. New games and such, but I've actually completed FF13. I started playing through Final Fantasy 13-2 and I can't finish it. Game is garbage. I was going to play it because I think Lightning Returns might be a good game and still do despite the bad reviews, I liked FF10-2 because of its good gameplay, could be the same with Lightning Returns.

Just wanted to post a few things about Final Fantasy 13-2. Despite you might have heard people say it's different from FF13, you might like it even if you didn't like 13. BS. It's the exact same game with minor changes. Your third character is a group of three monsters you can use as a single character for paradigm shifts, so combat is no different, the world is actually a series of very small dungeons that you are constantly going back and forth to one end and then all the way back to the other end. lots of backtracking. There is pretty much no story, or atleast none that I've experienced other than going to every time to collect artifacts which seemingly drop you in the next timeline to collect more to get out of that one. The dialogue is just incredibly bad as characters may be experiencing some phenomenon for the very first time, yet they know exactly what it's called and exactly what it does, and this happens on multiple occasions within the first few hours.

So the gameplay isn't good, the story isn't good, and it's got some of the worst writing ever in an RPG. Square Enix is dead pretty much.

I really need to stop playing putting games I know are more than likely going to be bad in front of those that I'm more interested in playing. It's like I'm like, hmmm. I still haven't played Tales of Xillia, Fire Emblem Awakening, need to finish Etrian Odyssey 4. Oh I know, I'll play Final Fantasy 13-2. And I'm also playing Final Fantasy 4 DS again. The version of Final Fantasy 4 that I already know is a bad game.
    So in other words if I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII-2, then I would probably like the plain Final Fantasy XIII?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    So in other words if I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII-2, then I would probably like the plain Final Fantasy XIII?
    I'd think so, yeah. Instead of three monsters, you have another character that can change classes. Six characters available, each one has three class types, at the end of the game you unlock the other three but they cost a lot more CP to learn than the ones they're good with.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-15-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'd think so, yeah. Instead of three monsters, you have another character that can change classes. Six characters available, each one has three class types, at the end of the game you unlock the other three but they cost a lot more CP to learn than the ones they're good with.
    Oh ok, sounds a lot easier to manage.

Anyway, I think I'll update my backlog list for RPGs and closely related action adventure types that people usually lump in with them:

Currently have an unfinished file on (what Gamefaqs refers to as "Now Playing":
    Final Fantasy II - NES [almost done!]
    Pokémon: Red Version - Game Boy
    Dragon Quest I & II [second game] - SNES
    Shining Wisdom - Saturn
    Suikoden - PS1
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - PS2
    Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - PS3

Games I beat before (without cheats) that I haven't played recently but want to play again
    Pokémon: Yellow Version - Game Boy
    Soul Blazer - SNES
    King's Field II - PS1
    RPG Maker (Gobli's Adventure; and maybe actually finally make a game) - PS1
    Suikoden II - PS1
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - N64
    Diablo - PC
    Dragon Warrior I & II [only the first game] - Game Boy Color
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - Game Boy Color
    Pokémon: Gold Version - Game Boy Color
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II - PS2
    King's Field: The Ancient City - PS2
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance - PS2
    Suikoden III - PS2
    Suikoden IV - PS2
    X-Men Legends - PS2
    X-Men Legends II - PS2
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Xbox
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - Gamecube
    Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku - Game Boy Advance
    Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls - Game Boy Advance
    Pokémon: Leaf Green Version - Game Boy Advance
    Vandal-Hearts: Flames of Judgment - PS3

Games I beat before (with cheats or savestates) that I want to complete legitimately
    Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord - NES
    Final Fantasy III - NES
    Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES
    Final Fantasy II [IV] - SNES
    Final Fantasy V - SNES
    Final Fantasy III [VI] - SNES
    Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - SNES
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - PS1
    Final Fantasy Anthology [both games] - PS1
    Final Fantasy Chronicles [only Final Fantasy IV] - PS1
    Final Fantasy Origins [both games] - PS1
    Final Fantasy VII - PS1
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - PS1
    The Legend of Dragoon - PS1
    Legacy of Kain: Defiance - PS2
    Blood Omen 2 - PS2
    Soul Reaver 2 - PS2

Games I bought/received, still own physically and haven't even played all the way through before (or not at all):
    Diablo II - PC
    WarCraft: Orcs & Humans - PC
    Shenmue - Dreamcast
    Final Fantasy X-2 - PS2
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - PS2
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - PS2
    Summoner - PS2
    Summoner 2 - PS2
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Xbox
    Fable: The Lost Chapters - Xbox
    Shenmue II - Xbox
    Sudeki - Xbox
    X-Men Legends - Xbox
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Gamecube
    The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition [only beat Zelda 1, 2 & Ocarina off this disc) - Gamecube
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest (only beat original version) - Gamecube
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Gamecube
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Gamecube
    Tales of Symphonia - Gamecube
    X-Men Legends - Gamecube
    X-Men Legends II - Gamecube
    X-Men Legends - N-Gage (never even had the system yet)
    Blue Dragon - Xbox 360
    Eternal Sonata - Xbox 360
    Fable II - Xbox 360
    Fable III - Xbox 360
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Special Edition) - Xbox 360
    3D Dot Game Heroes - PS3
    Chaotic: Shadow Warriors - PS3
    Demon's Souls - PS3
    Disgaea 3 - PS3
    Disgaea 4 - PS3
    Dragon Age Origins - PS3
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - PS3
    Enchanted Arms - PS3
    Fallout 3 - PS3
    Final Fantasy XIII - PS3
    Last Rebellion - PS3
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance - PS3
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - PS3
    Rise of the Argonauts - PS3
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope - PS3
    Two Worlds II - PS3
    Venetica - PS3
    White Knight Chronicles - PS3
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Wii
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 3DS

So my real backlog consists mostly of PS3 games while my digital backlog of replays and want to play for the first time is all kinds of crazy. If I threw in all the PS1 & PS2 RPGs I used to own physically and only have backups of now those would probably dominate the non-physical list.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Last summer I put massive amounts of time into Chrono Cross, almost made it to what I believe would be the point of the disc change, then just... stopped playing. No particular reason, just other stuff took over and I haven't got back. If I had a dollar for every game I've been in a similar predicament with and still haven't got back to, well, I could buy some more games and never get around to finishing.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Paper Mario Sticker Star was a disappointment. I really, really wanted to like it (I'm a huge fan of the rest of the series), but they strayed too far from the original action RPG formula and the new sticker attack principle, while interesting on paper (heh), is annoying in practice. If the stickers were used only for special attacks and items, it'd already be a huge improvement. Also, since they got rid of the experience points/leveling up feature in the game, it makes it a lot less interesting to fight regular enemies on the field. Hopefully, the next title in the series will be once more a flat-character cousin to the Mario and Luigi series.
    Ah give it a second chance, Lady J. It's a wonderful game....just different. (Like how Final Fantasy Legend is different from Final Fantasy.)

The battles do serve a purpose in that you are rewarded more coins for doing more battles at the end of each stage. And the more coins you have the better stickers you can buy in town. guaranteed multiple attacks in one turn, buy those special blue door stickers you find later on that let's you get those special items with the right one that make boss fights super easy, etc. Yeah, it's a very item/money centric game similar to LoZ:ALBW with a heavier eye on puzzle-solving and forward-thinking gameplay in a nuanced direction that once you delve into the mechanics full-throttle into anything and everything this game offer, it really become enjoyable.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Rune Factory 4 (3DS) - Unplayed. Sort of impulse bought it, fearing it might disapear after its developer shut down. Probably jumped the gun a little bit there...
    Just started playing that this week - pushing DS DragonQuest IV even deeper into my backlog stack.

They had already started on Rune Factory 5 when they shut down, so it's _possible_ some other company will pick it up. But Rune Factory's fan base is kind of specialized, so have my doubts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Scratch Final fantasy II for NES off my list. Now I'm on Final Fantasy III for NES. And I bought Overlord for Xbox 360 as well as Dungeon Siege III for PS3 because they were cheap and I couldn't resist.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Them all. Dear god, them ALL.

No seriously, I think my "Have totally beaten" list is smaller than RickStilWell1's backlog, which only leaves the other 600 or so RPGs left to complete. On the plus side, I know what the cats and I are doing for my retirement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Them all. Dear god, them ALL.

No seriously, I think my "Have totally beaten" list is smaller than RickStilWell1's backlog, which only leaves the other 600 or so RPGs left to complete. On the plus side, I know what the cats and I are doing for my retirement.
    Because of last year's games beaten tracking refresh (I finally started taking notes on what was totally beaten and what was only beaten on easier modes), my official completed list of games I don't have to go back to only consists of 17 RPGs and adventures grouped together:

1. Dragon Warrior - NES
    2. Dragon Warrior II - NES
    3. Faxanadu - NES
    4. Final Fantasy - NES
    5. Final Fantasy II - NES
    6. The Legend of Zelda - NES
    7. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - NES
    8. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - GB
    9. Pokémon: Blue Version - GB
    10. Lagoon - SNES
    11. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - SNES
    12. Alundra - PS1
    13. Beyond the Beyond - PS1
    14. King's Field (Japan) - PS1
    15. King's Field - PS1
    16. Vandal-Hearts - PS1
    17. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3

At least I've been hammering away at those NES RPGs. The ones that take a lot more patience to get through than the others without having as much visual candy as games for consoles with higher end graphics. The adventures on NES are fine because of the constant action going on, but the true RPGs with experience points feel tedious at times. At least Dragon Warrior II and Final Fantasy II are now done. Those two are supposed to be the most annoying in each of their series in terms of grinding. It all gets better from here on out until I try some of the older Game Boy ones like Final Fantasy Legend (the first game in the SaGa series). I've heard complaints about Final Fantasy III for NES but having emulated it in the past the only thing I think will be hard is the extremely long final dungeon. As long as I actually train my characters in their recommended jobs this time instead of randomly or instead of keeping the Onion Kid class on them for too long I should have an easier time this time through.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Of this list, I've knocked off Origins, FF13, Neptunia and sold the White Knight collection. Have added Dragon Age II, Dragon's Dogma, Ni no Kuni & FF13-2.
    Since that post, have added To The Moon. Have also returned to FF13. Wanna 100% it, then move on to FF13-2, as I'm looking forward to Lightening Returns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Another RPG about to be added to my list. I just started the Bravely Default demo and after completing all the quests, I've since preordered the game. Very good game in my opinion.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finished Mass Effect 2 not sure what I am going to play next. Wasn't totally impressed with the game. Don't get me wrong it was a good game just not as good as the hype.

Any suggestions for another 360 RPG to play?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Also started Bravely Default. Hope I finish it, loving it so far (about 20 hours in).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Hey since my last post in this thread, I knocked off more RPGs and adventures:

18. Final Fantasy II - NES
    19. Final Fantasy III - NES
    20. Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
    21. Ys - SMS
    22. Golvellius - SMS

And I have added Miracle Warriors for SMS to my currently playing section. With the age of the games listed here, I would say this is quite a lot of progress. These 8-bit RPGs are hard for some people to go back to but can be fun if you put yourself in the right strategy solving mindset.