Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are there ANY arcades ANYWHERE anymore?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New Hampshire is the Mecca - you've got Funspot in Laconia, and the new Pinball Wizard that just opened in Pelham.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire View Post
    New Hampshire is the Mecca - you've got Funspot in Laconia, and the new Pinball Wizard that just opened in Pelham.
    Pinball Wizard is pretty sweet, and it's only a 40-minute drive from Boston, for you tourists. Lots of old-school goodness, but I've ranted & raved in greater detail in other threads (and in my Yelp! review).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shivers View Post
    Barcade in brooklyn!! you can bring your dog drink and play retro only arcade cabs!

Great place. I went there when i was in new york afew years back.

Insert Coin (Level 0) atari2600land's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's one in my town: Wunderland. It's been there forever, and it appears to not be closing any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm planning a little getaway to Illinois to see what the Galloping Ghost Arcade is all about... $15, free play, no waiting (aside from waiting to play a game).
    AKA DM Brian, Thaco's Hammer 2nd Edition AD&D Podcast. www.thacoshammer.info

Confessions Of An Arcade Addict Podcast, host, executive producer. http://www.anchor.fm/coaa

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run, run before you fly.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(deleted)
    Last edited by stalepie; 03-13-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fontaine Le Funk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Phoenix has several. One of the largest is at Castles and Coasters which has maybe 70 games and about a dozen pinball machines too. This is where I first played Asteroids(!), so awesome... The mall it is near is kinda slowly dying, but last I saw they were renovating the CnC entrance, so they must be doing ok.

Update: I went back after the renovation, and they changed every machine first from coin doors to thin plastic cards to store credits and now to more permanent swipe style doors. Even the pinballs are changed. It's kinda weird with the green glowing, but Asteroids still rocks.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the Santa Monica Promenade there's an arcade with 90s fighters and early stuff like Super Mario Bros. arcade and Donkey Kong. Little Tokyo has an arcade, but mostly Japanese stuff and nothing 80s

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife and I spent a long weekend in Daytona Beach a couple years ago and I went into 2 or 3 arcades. Each one a massive disappointment. They did have a handful of classic games, but lots of games weren't working, and most that actually ran had really bad monitors. Most of the floor space was redemption and skee ball.

The big McDonald's on I-Drive in Orlando advertises they have 100 arcade games, but it's 99% redemption. They had one Ms Pac Man/Galaga. The rest was all amusement stuff.

I have seen a number of laundromats here in Orlando that have relatively classic games (Galaga, Outrun, some early 90s Namco racer, etc). That seems to be one of the last holdouts.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one here in waldorf MD called game over. They have a facebook page. All I have to say is that they have some games that don't work and for some reason will not replace them with working machines. The great games they have working are rambo, terminator and my favorite itg 2. Facebook page found here http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001458864041 Oh they do have the three latest counsels for you to play and play movies.
    Last edited by lookfun78; 03-17-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went up to my mall today to walk for excercise (it was too cool to walk outside). There was an arcade there for a bit but this is the first time I've been there in months and it's long gone. There is, however, some sort of miniature golf in one store and I saw they had some arcade machines. I meant to go in and see what they had but I forgot to go in and see once my walking was done. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and check it out.

Insert Coin (Level 0) darthi8nt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    darthi8nt

In Manassas Va we have a small mall and it has a time out in it with a few games. Tekken 5 and some of the oldies like Galaga and ms Pacman. I just got finished repairing a multicade and a ms pacman in a pizza parlor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are several here in Vegas, including the Pinball Hall Of Fame and Sega's Gameworks. I love this place.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In wisconsin, there was an arcade about 20 minutes away from me known as fun world. It was huge, had classics and modern games, and had a ferris wheel and miniature golf course inside. Sadly, the place closed up in november and there was a big auction in december, and I was to broke to attend at the time.

I seem to remember an arcade that served ice cream and played alot of queen music up north from when I was a kid. I believe it was in minocqua, not sure, I'll have to ask my parents to see if they remember the name of it, I hope its still around, but this was 10 years ago, so who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, is the state of the US arcade business really this bad? here in my home town in England we have 11 arcade parlours in a row, each with over 30 games machines, mainly new stuff though and a lot of Lightgun games and dance machines.

I do live in a seaside resort though, which would skew things a lot, but most normal towns I go have a parlour or two from what I can remember.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Cornholio857's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cornholio857

Only Arcades that I know of in Jacksonville, FL would be Dave & Busters and a new place like D&B that's called Latitude 30. Sucks......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    Nikademus1969

Here in Wisconsin Dells we have a few "family entertainment centers" that have a few machines.

Here are two that I know are open to the public...

http://www.dellsknuckleheads.com/
    http://www.kalahariresorts.com/wi/pa...doorthemepark/

There are others in the area, but AFAIK, you have to be a guest at whatever resort they're associated with to get in.

Insert Coin (Level 0) theredlineboss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only one I've been to is more or less a collection of machines operating at the Taylor Trade Center (basically an indoor flea market). The good thing is that they have a Star Wars pinball machine so it's all good, lol.

Aside from that, I've heard that Zap Zone in Taylor has an arcade as well, but I haven't been there.

-Rob
    Console Collection:
    TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx, 3DO, Master System, Genesis/ CD/ 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Gear, Lynx, GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan & PSP

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My daughter will be going to Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN in the fall, where I and my wife went. Since the early 80's (and likely before) there was an arcade in the Memorial Union. The selection of games had dwindled in recent years, but whenever we visited, I would always play a game or two. On our last trip there in early April, it was boarded up, with construction sounds coming from within. The sign on the wall said "future site of campus vision care services"... a dagger through my heart. But with every dorm room having internet access and many an Xbox360 or PS3, it wasn't too surprising.
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to add, that since the last time I posted, there is a new arcade here in vegas called Insert Coin(s) that rocks pretty damn hard.