Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are there ANY arcades ANYWHERE anymore?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I saw through the window of a Pizza place that they had T2: The Arcade Game. I recognized the artwork from the Sega Genesis cartridge of Terminator 2.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi...
    The arcades were amazing even then, and they had regular pro am races across the parking lot. With such close proximity to Starlite swap meet, you could probably buy anything game or fun related within a one mile radius ;P

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The Dave and Buster's here in Philly is almost ALL redemption games, save for a couple of things I.E the Sega Derby game (which is actually very fun), 2 or 3 classic games, two tons of Racing games and a LOT of FPS games, and some other random stuff like Madden mixed in. The only things I play in there are:

Sega Derby Owners
    Mario Kart GP 2 (how they actually got this I don't know)
    Donkey Kong/Jr./Mario Bros.
    Roll-a-ball Derby
    Super Trivia
    Virtua Fighter 4

The prices aren't as bad as they used to be though, I spent 3+ hours in here on $20 in credits. I didn't play any redemption though, and I spent a ton of time on Sega Derby Owners (or whatever it's called).
    I went to the Dave & Buster's in the Franklin Mills Mall once. Doesn't sound like that one, as the arcade selection is entirely different. Last I saw they had;

- Tekken 6 (a token JP import fighter, it seems)
    - Guitar Hero Arcade
    - an Ultracade, with mostly Capcom titles. It looked like it was mildly damaged when I got around to playing it as the player-1 lower-left button was slightly pushed upward compared to the other buttons (in a way that looked like it wasn't screwed in right) and required more force to be pushed down.
    - Ok, so there was a DK/Jr./MB, so that's one arcade in common.
    - A football arcade of... some sort. It looked recent.
    - An Arcade adaptation of "Deal or No Deal" (huh?)
    - A bunch of shooting games including, for some reason, Time Crisis 2, 4, and Crisis Zone, the House of the Dead 2 and 4, some other one with Dinosaurs, Target: Terror Gold, Ghost Squad and whatnot.
    - A bunch of vehicle games, including two different motorbike games (one had a Harley-Davidson logo, so I just call it the Harley-Davidson arcade. The other I forget), and a few twin-cabinet car racers. Sega Derby Owners might've been there, I forgot. However, the one that catches my eye is the 8-player Daytona USA. I've never seen a racing game cabinet linked to that amount. Being a fan of the game, as well, I was glad to see it there.
    - Some strange Microsoft-made war-combat simulations. These were so expensive to play I didn't bother.
    - redemption videogames that look like direct rip-offs of popular flash games.

And that's all I can recall. I found the credit prices to be fairly reasonable for most the video arcades (with the exception of the Microsoft stuff). At some point I wanna go there again and the try the food.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Other than Tekken 6, that's pretty par for the course at D&Bs.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I went to the Dave & Buster's in the Franklin Mills Mall once. Doesn't sound like that one, as the arcade selection is entirely different. Last I saw they had;

- Tekken 6 (a token JP import fighter, it seems)
    - Guitar Hero Arcade
    - an Ultracade, with mostly Capcom titles. It looked like it was mildly damaged when I got around to playing it as the player-1 lower-left button was slightly pushed upward compared to the other buttons (in a way that looked like it wasn't screwed in right) and required more force to be pushed down.
    - Ok, so there was a DK/Jr./MB, so that's one arcade in common.
    - A football arcade of... some sort. It looked recent.
    - An Arcade adaptation of "Deal or No Deal" (huh?)
    - A bunch of shooting games including, for some reason, Time Crisis 2, 4, and Crisis Zone, the House of the Dead 2 and 4, some other one with Dinosaurs, Target: Terror Gold, Ghost Squad and whatnot.
    - A bunch of vehicle games, including two different motorbike games (one had a Harley-Davidson logo, so I just call it the Harley-Davidson arcade. The other I forget), and a few twin-cabinet car racers. Sega Derby Owners might've been there, I forgot. However, the one that catches my eye is the 8-player Daytona USA. I've never seen a racing game cabinet linked to that amount. Being a fan of the game, as well, I was glad to see it there.
    - Some strange Microsoft-made war-combat simulations. These were so expensive to play I didn't bother.
    - redemption videogames that look like direct rip-offs of popular flash games.

And that's all I can recall. I found the credit prices to be fairly reasonable for most the video arcades (with the exception of the Microsoft stuff). At some point I wanna go there again and the try the food.
    Nah, there's another one in Philly down by Penn's Landing right under the Ben Franklin bridge. They have decent food, I will save that.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    In The Parks Mall in Arlington, TX there's still a Tilt Arcade. A whole lot of redemption games and modern stuff, half of which seems to be partially broken. I did however play World Cup Pinball there, although one of the flippers was barely working.
    In the Richland Mall in Waco, TX there's a Tilt (maybe called "Tilt's"?) Arcade. It's basically described as Steve put it: about half redemption, half standard arcade fair (crappy modern racing games and that stuff). Most of their modern stuff is fighting games. I was kinda suprised that it was crowded the last time I saw it.

I did go to an awesome arcade called "Game Works". It was operated or sponsored by Sega cause 98% of their machines were Sega machines. It was a huge, two story arcade though with a giant selection of machines. Went there for my senior band trip and it was awesome. One of my friends is a Sega nut and I'm sure it was a great experience for him too.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Gameworks >>>>>>>>>>>> D&Bs. Shame their locations are few and far between.

Cherry (Level 1) HurricaneAndrew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a place in the next town over from me (Fulton, MO) that is a combination game store and arcade. I can imagine that place is great. I hadn't been in it since it first opened, so they had very few games or items. I was going to go to it again today, but I got there and they were closed. It's possible that it was just closed for maintanence though.
    I collect for: Odyssey2, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, and TI-99/4A

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

I'm surprised none of the other New Englanders mentioned the arcades at Hampton Beach, NH and Salisbury beach, MA (neighboring border/coastal towns, for those unfamiliar to the region). I mean, compared to Fun World (which I've sadly never been inside) and Fun Spot, they're dumps, but there's still a fair amount of fun to be had.
    Sadly, not as much as there used to be, though. I've been going to Hampton for the last 10 years and just made my first trip to Salisbury this year, and it's clear: arcades have definitely crapped out since 2000. The first few years, I was amazed at all the retro games they had. Strider, Turtles in Time, Pole Position, OutRun, Hang-On, Tron, an old "Name That Tune" game you couldn't even hear, and more old pins than you could shake a stick at.
    Sadly though, their games have all either disappeared to be replaced with junk like Guitar Hero ($2 to play and MORE STILL to play certain songs?? F-that!), or just increasingly deteriorated with each passing year. Each year, I find more and more machines will eat quarters, or have faulty buttons/joysticks.
    My first visit to Salisbury wasn't particularly thrilling, either. My brother told me joe's playland had a killer 2nd floor with a ton of retro games (I saw the youtube vid too), and the day I went, the upstairs was closed off for no reason. There was also another creepy arcade on the waterfront with a bunch of broken machines lined up along the back wall and zero staff inside. Their Jurassic Park pinball was in good shape, but I wouldn't have tried my luck with any of the other machines in that dump.
    Although on the plus side, if anybody ever finds themselves in Gardner, MA, the Gardner 10-Pin bowling alley has a few good retro games: Tengen Tetris, Buster Bros., Ms. Pac-Man, Primal Rage and a few others. It's been a few years since I've been in there though, so I can't say they'll still have 'em.
    ...I friggin' miss arcades.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Gameworks >>>>>>>>>>>> D&Bs. Shame their locations are few and far between.
    I did hit up GameWorks Las Vegas back in '03. I remember hating the fact all they had for DDR was the crappy DDR USA when MGM Grand had 3rd & 4th mixes and Stratosphere had a 5th mix. I did have a coupon that doubled the credits I bought, so I played lots of games that day- totally kicked Brave Firefighters' butt too.
    But in defense of D&B's, I go to the Providence RI location and despite parents always bringing in their little kids late at night, it's still a good time for me and my fiancee & friends. They do have some cool stuff in their redemption center, too- my brother and I are going to get that Joe Montana autographed football for 1,000,000 tickets!
    ...We're currently at around 7,000.
    Last edited by old_skoolin_jim; 09-24-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Here in Appleton, WI we have Funset Boulevard, roughly 10,000 sq ft of newer games with some classics, pin, and redemption games, laser tag, bumper cars, etc. It is attached to a movie theater.

For older games I hit up JJ's Laundromat, I'm guessing it's a dude's collection since they have ST:TNG pin, Data East Star Wars pin, Raiden 1 and 2, Pac man, some 'Classics' compilation cabs, turbo outrun, etc. Not an arcade per se, but more games than any of the other places around here.

If anyone knows of a decent place up in Green Bay maybe you could post it? It's a bigger city so it SHOULD have an arcade..
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel ya. I grew up in the 80's and I remember hanging out at the arcade, and pumping all my quarters into those games. and I wish they HAD any real arcades, anymore, especially with retro-80's games!!

Heck, when my mom passes on, and leaves me the house, I already plan on converting our basement into my very own private 80's Arcade...complete with all my faves...

Crazy Climber, Cruisin' Galaga, Pole Position, Moon Patrol, Pac-Man, Q*Bert, Dig Dug...just to name a few. Seriously, I have a big basement, and it seems to me I could make my own little 80's retro arcade down there. Mom would never let me do it as long as she lives, she'd bitch about the electric bill.

I rent the upstairs of her house, currently, and have my home business up there, too. but I got plans for that basement when the house passes into my name!! I'll have my own arcade down there, and I'll invite any of y'all who wanna play REAL arcade games...like, from the 80's!!

Screw the 90's and beyond, if it wasn't made in the 80's I don't want it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shivers View Post
    Barcade in brooklyn!! you can bring your dog drink and play retro only arcade cabs!
    Holy SHIT...you just described HEAVEN!!!

Where the hell is this place?? I'm only 75 miles from NYC.

My dog, booze, retro arcade games...I could stay forever.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

they are all over the north east still.. just gotta know where to look is all

ones i know of

Vermont

Theres a small one in Rutland Vermont in the Diamond Run Mall (surprised the place is still open)

in burlington theres Zachary's Pizza which has a arcade within it
    and Pizza Putt (kinda like vermonts version of chucky cheese...sorta)
    also at the Spare Time Bowling ally in colchester theres a small arcade

New York

in Lake George theres 2 decent size arcades that i know of downtown.

Maine
    I know of a alright size arcade in York Beach
    and theres a fairly large one in Old Orchard Beach thats attached to a theme park.

Florida
    Theres a few i remember in orlando (this is 2003) i don't know if they are still there
    In fort myers theres a place thats like a chucky cheese called "King Richards" thats pretty cool. with go carts, arcade, pizza, ect ect

New Hampshire
    I saw i think 2 arcades in hampton beach
    and then you have the world famous Fun Spot arcade
    one of the oldest still operational arcades and it is the largest in the world
    It has candle stick bowling, 2 mini golf courses, pizza, and 3 stories of classic arcade goodness
    you want classic cabinets? No where and i mean no where in the world will you find more except maybe at that classic game auction in colorado they have every year.

They have the pacman machine billy mitchell did his perfect game on and yes you can play on it too.. they also have his king of kongs machine... and once again you can play on that too!
    they have super pac man, ms pacman, baby pacman, pacman jr, donkey kong jr, super mario bros, tempest, asteroids, centepede, millipede, i mean i can go on and on and on and on and on and on and on
    Best part about this arcade is they try to keep it the way it was in the 80s
    They play nothing but 80s music through the speakers.
    Some of the machines have a display card that will give a brief history about the game and the cabinet. They have plastered various classic game masters and their scores.
    Fun Spot is also home to a annual world wide classic game tournament.

I have 2 dollars of their tokens if anyone wants to use em! haha..
    cool thing is they date their tokens.. the oldest one i got is a 1985 just to show you the age of the place

Insert Coin (Level 0) mattimeo310's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    mattimeo310
    3DS Friend
    4897-5967-3681

Boardwalks. At least the Jersey Shore boardwalk has a bunch of arcades. I do know for a fact that there is a classic arcade at the Jersey Shore also with many of the older arcade titles.
    My Systems: Atari 2600, 7800 Intellivision Nes(top loader) Snes Virtual Boy N64 Gamecube Wii GBC GBA(original) DS(brick) Genesis Dreamcast Ps2 Ps3 PSP(phat) PSP 3000, LYNX

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is one in virgina beach It's a huge one with two haves and a huge target game the size of a dorm room. This one updates every year with the latest games like ddr.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

here cause i wanna make sure you guys understand how amazing this arcade is.. Heres a video of "Fun Spot"

heres a walk through the arcade by a arcade fan (maybe someone whos on here?!?!)

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ZETgxqCos

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq5rU...eature=related

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by mattimeo310 View Post
    Boardwalks. At least the Jersey Shore boardwalk has a bunch of arcades. I do know for a fact that there is a classic arcade at the Jersey Shore also with many of the older arcade titles.
    Where once every arcade on the Seaside Heights boardwalk had arcade machines, now very few have any, one being the "Flashback" arcade in the Carousel Arcade on Casino Pier. And the repair/maintenance on those games is downright terrible. Most have monitors that are SORELY in need of re-capping and some have controls that are poorly functioning (if at all).
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

we have a few arcades here but they're tied to amusement centers and the machines tend to be in disrepair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a couple in the Chicago area, and here in Ann Arbor there is Pinball Pete's, which needs more old school machines IMO. Run a google search and you might be surprised at what you find.
    AKA DM Brian, Thaco's Hammer 2nd Edition AD&D Podcast. www.thacoshammer.info

Confessions Of An Arcade Addict Podcast, host, executive producer. http://www.anchor.fm/coaa

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run, run before you fly.