Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there ANY arcades ANYWHERE anymore?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Seaside Heights Boardwalk in NJ

There are still a handfull of "arcades" that still have machines.

The Carousel Arcade has a nice "retro arcade" with a very nice selection of pins and classic machines ... in recent years they've had better upkeep on the control panels and screens.

Found a video on YouTube ... of course YouTube is doing all sorts of server maintenance today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTGLiZVT0c
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

There are maybe 3 on the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk. They aren't anything special though.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Barcade in brooklyn!! you can bring your dog drink and play retro only arcade cabs!
    Peter Chou is a bad man!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Score some "FREE GAMES"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

In The Parks Mall in Arlington, TX there's still a Tilt Arcade. A whole lot of redemption games and modern stuff, half of which seems to be partially broken. I did however play World Cup Pinball there, although one of the flippers was barely working.

I can't think of any other shopping mall arcades still around. Of course, the Dallas area has been hit with a lot of mall closings anyhow. I can think of five in the area that have been torn down in less than a decade. Rough time to be a mall owner right now in the Metroplex...

There is supposedly a retro arcade bar somewhere in Dallas, but I'm not sure exactly where. And I'm not much of a fan of drinking or alcoholics, so I never put much effort into tracking the place down. The owners apparently got the idea from a visit to Barcade in Brooklyn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    In The Parks Mall in Arlington, TX there's still a Tilt Arcade. A whole lot of redemption games and modern stuff, half of which seems to be partially broken. I did however play World Cup Pinball there, although one of the flippers was barely working.

I can't think of any other shopping mall arcades still around. Of course, the Dallas area has been hit with a lot of mall closings anyhow. I can think of five in the area that have been torn down in less than a decade. Rough time to be a mall owner right now in the Metroplex...

There is supposedly a retro arcade bar somewhere in Dallas, but I'm not sure exactly where. And I'm not much of a fan of drinking or alcoholics, so I never put much effort into tracking the place down. The owners apparently got the idea from a visit to Barcade in Brooklyn.
    There used to be a retro/JP arcade in the Irving Mall, but they have since closed. Grapevine Mills has an arcade with more of the modern mainstream games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    There used to be a retro/JP arcade in the Irving Mall, but they have since closed.
    I remember that one, it was the only place I ever played Planet Harrier at. The games there were too Japanese for my tastes. I'm not into rhythm games (considering I have no rhythm at all) or fighting games, which left me very little to play there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Grapevine Mills has an arcade with more of the modern mainstream games.
    That one's called GameWorks, which is also a restaurant. It's sort of like Dave And Buster's from what I've heard. I've been in it once, and it was okay. Not too many classic games. I never tried their food out, because when my friend and I got out of the movie next door they closed the restaurant area down for the night. After all, you don't want to serve food to the throngs of people pouring out of that busy movie theater, that might be a competent way of running a business...

There's another location of Tilt Arcade in Waco, TX, in Richland Mall. And just down the hallway from the Tilt is a nice little retro gaming store.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

That one's called GameWorks, which is also a restaurant. It's sort of like Dave And Buster's from what I've heard. I've been in it once, and it was okay. Not too many classic games.
    GameWorks is at least far superior to Dave & Busters game-wise. While 75% of D&B's and GW's selection hasn't changed in the past 5+ years, GameWorks at least has a much more diverse offering. Where GW may have had less classics than you would have liked, D&B will have half that. Shame they are significantly less abundant than D&Bs.

Oh, and those looking for arcades can find a really shitty one in Bumfuck, Tennessee right outside of Nashville.

Insert Coin (Level 0) The-Bavis's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ChuckleFutz

I remember that one, it was the only place I ever played Planet Harrier at. The games there were too Japanese for my tastes. I'm not into rhythm games (considering I have no rhythm at all) or fighting games, which left me very little to play there.

That one's called GameWorks, which is also a restaurant. It's sort of like Dave And Buster's from what I've heard. I've been in it once, and it was okay. Not too many classic games. I never tried their food out, because when my friend and I got out of the movie next door they closed the restaurant area down for the night. After all, you don't want to serve food to the throngs of people pouring out of that busy movie theater, that might be a competent way of running a business...

There's another location of Tilt Arcade in Waco, TX, in Richland Mall. And just down the hallway from the Tilt is a nice little retro gaming store.
    I'm just responding to SteveW here because he's talking about North Texas. I finally went to Tornado Terry's in Keller a few weeks ago. You must go. It is an unassuming place, but there is plenty to play from classics to modern. It's $12.50 for unlimited play. The website is www.tornadoterrys.com, and is a terrible time warp, but it lists the operating hours. The place is clean and you can tell that the person (people) that run it really care about the games they have.
    The-Bavis

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the Richland Mall in Waco, TX there's a Tilt (maybe called "Tilt's"?) Arcade. It's basically described as Steve put it: about half redemption, half standard arcade fair (crappy modern racing games and that stuff). Most of their modern stuff is fighting games. I was kinda suprised that it was crowded the last time I saw it.

I did go to an awesome arcade called "Game Works". It was operated or sponsored by Sega cause 98% of their machines were Sega machines. It was a huge, two story arcade though with a giant selection of machines. Went there for my senior band trip and it was awesome. One of my friends is a Sega nut and I'm sure it was a great experience for him too.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Gameworks >>>>>>>>>>>> D&Bs. Shame their locations are few and far between.

Cherry (Level 1) HurricaneAndrew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a place in the next town over from me (Fulton, MO) that is a combination game store and arcade. I can imagine that place is great. I hadn't been in it since it first opened, so they had very few games or items. I was going to go to it again today, but I got there and they were closed. It's possible that it was just closed for maintanence though.
    I collect for: Odyssey2, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, and TI-99/4A

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Gameworks >>>>>>>>>>>> D&Bs. Shame their locations are few and far between.
    I did hit up GameWorks Las Vegas back in '03. I remember hating the fact all they had for DDR was the crappy DDR USA when MGM Grand had 3rd & 4th mixes and Stratosphere had a 5th mix. I did have a coupon that doubled the credits I bought, so I played lots of games that day- totally kicked Brave Firefighters' butt too.
    But in defense of D&B's, I go to the Providence RI location and despite parents always bringing in their little kids late at night, it's still a good time for me and my fiancee & friends. They do have some cool stuff in their redemption center, too- my brother and I are going to get that Joe Montana autographed football for 1,000,000 tickets!
    ...We're currently at around 7,000.
    Last edited by old_skoolin_jim; 09-24-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nicklerama in Garland, TX has a decent selection and a few Pinball tables too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope a bit of self-promotion is alright; I own Backstage Hobbies & Games (per the user name) in Ludington, Michigan. I've been open four years now and, after alot of attempts, have finally managed to get my hands on some arcade machines. I don't have a lot of space now, but in the next year I'm working on getting a much larger space.
    Right now I have five machines active in my store and a retail kiosk X-Box console. Machines online are Mortal Kombat, Primal Rage, Battletoads, Time Soldiers, and I JUST got a hold of a Galaga cabinet. I'm really looking forward to getting my bigger space, I have a few units in storage that need TLC (Arkanoid, Battle Lane Vol 5, Intrepid, Final Fight, Double Dragon, a second Primal Rage, Crystal Castles) that would make for a really neat selection~

http://www.facebook.com/backstagehobbies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shivers View Post
    Barcade in brooklyn!! you can bring your dog drink and play retro only arcade cabs!
    Holy SHIT...you just described HEAVEN!!!

Where the hell is this place?? I'm only 75 miles from NYC.

My dog, booze, retro arcade games...I could stay forever.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

they are all over the north east still.. just gotta know where to look is all

ones i know of

Vermont

Theres a small one in Rutland Vermont in the Diamond Run Mall (surprised the place is still open)

in burlington theres Zachary's Pizza which has a arcade within it
    and Pizza Putt (kinda like vermonts version of chucky cheese...sorta)
    also at the Spare Time Bowling ally in colchester theres a small arcade

New York

in Lake George theres 2 decent size arcades that i know of downtown.

Maine
    I know of a alright size arcade in York Beach
    and theres a fairly large one in Old Orchard Beach thats attached to a theme park.

Florida
    Theres a few i remember in orlando (this is 2003) i don't know if they are still there
    In fort myers theres a place thats like a chucky cheese called "King Richards" thats pretty cool. with go carts, arcade, pizza, ect ect

New Hampshire
    I saw i think 2 arcades in hampton beach
    and then you have the world famous Fun Spot arcade
    one of the oldest still operational arcades and it is the largest in the world
    It has candle stick bowling, 2 mini golf courses, pizza, and 3 stories of classic arcade goodness
    you want classic cabinets? No where and i mean no where in the world will you find more except maybe at that classic game auction in colorado they have every year.

They have the pacman machine billy mitchell did his perfect game on and yes you can play on it too.. they also have his king of kongs machine... and once again you can play on that too!
    they have super pac man, ms pacman, baby pacman, pacman jr, donkey kong jr, super mario bros, tempest, asteroids, centepede, millipede, i mean i can go on and on and on and on and on and on and on
    Best part about this arcade is they try to keep it the way it was in the 80s
    They play nothing but 80s music through the speakers.
    Some of the machines have a display card that will give a brief history about the game and the cabinet. They have plastered various classic game masters and their scores.
    Fun Spot is also home to a annual world wide classic game tournament.

I have 2 dollars of their tokens if anyone wants to use em! haha..
    cool thing is they date their tokens.. the oldest one i got is a 1985 just to show you the age of the place

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shivers View Post

Great place. I went there when i was in new york afew years back.

Insert Coin (Level 0) atari2600land's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's one in my town: Wunderland. It's been there forever, and it appears to not be closing any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm planning a little getaway to Illinois to see what the Galloping Ghost Arcade is all about... $15, free play, no waiting (aside from waiting to play a game).
    AKA DM Brian, Thaco's Hammer 2nd Edition AD&D Podcast. www.thacoshammer.info

Confessions Of An Arcade Addict Podcast, host, executive producer. http://www.anchor.fm/coaa

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run, run before you fly.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rendclaw View Post
    I'm planning a little getaway to Illinois to see what the Galloping Ghost Arcade is all about... $15, free play, no waiting (aside from waiting to play a game).
    Best arcade in Illinois!

I can't think of another arcade in the tristate area that has even a quarter of the machines that GG's has.