Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there ANY arcades ANYWHERE anymore?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy Are there ANY arcades ANYWHERE anymore?

I mean...they try to open at the mall a bit south of here, but they always close within a month it seems (There are still just a few arcade machines along an indentation in the wall; HARDLY can be considered a real arcade).

Here in town, there are a few arcade machines scattered around (2 in Als; a local eatery FOR SURE), but that's it. Even downstate in Portland Maine, Dream Machine closed at the mall down there (the space it occupied is now "The Ginger Pad"; an asian bistro, and an empty area that is used as a seasonal halloween store. I don't know of any arcades that still exist in Maine...Which is pretty sad.

They were a part of my childhood too, and it's sad to see them dying...do any of you still have 'em around where you live?

Classic Gaming ROCKS YOUR SOCKS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I feel your pain.
    The big mall here in Alabama had a wonderful arcade up until a few months ago. This arcade was always crowded, so I can't really figure out why it closed.
    Maybe because Namco owned it?

Anyway, they had House of The Dead 4, Guilty Gear X2, Star Wars, fighting games in the Japanese style cabinets, and a lot more.

Even though I've only really lived here a year, this arcade's leave is quite a sad one.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have one. I have to drive 40 minutes to it but it's a 3 story arcade called Fun World in Nashua, NH.

Besides that? No others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    We have one. I have to drive 40 minutes to it but it's a 3 story arcade called Fun World in Nashua, NH.

Besides that? No others.
    Does it have a bowling alley in it?
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I saw through the window of a Pizza place that they had T2: The Arcade Game. I recognized the artwork from the Sega Genesis cartridge of Terminator 2.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
    I feel your pain.
    The big mall here in Alabama had a wonderful arcade up until a few months ago. This arcade was always crowded, so I can't really figure out why it closed.
    Maybe because Namco owned it?

Anyway, they had House of The Dead 4, Guilty Gear X2, Star Wars, fighting games in the Japanese style cabinets, and a lot more.

Even though I've only really lived here a year, this arcade's leave is quite a sad one.
    Ahh yes, the Namco Time Out at the Galleria. There is a small arcade in the back of an Italian food joint in Alabaster, and they have Truxton, but the workers are A-holes.

We still have a few in the Montgomery area. There is a mini golf place with a small arcade that has some classics in it. The local bowling alley has some classics as well, including some Neo Geo machines. Eastdale Mall in Montgomery has an arcade with some of the more modern games.
    Last edited by Rob; 08-23-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Ahh yes, the Namco Time Out at the Galleria. There is a small arcade in the back of an Italian food joint in Alabaster, and they have Truxton, but the workers are A-holes.

We still have a few in the Montgomery area. There is a mini golf place with a small arcade that has some classics in it. The local bowling alley has some classics as well, including some Neo Geo machines. Eastdale Mall in Montgomery has an arcade with some of the more modern games.
    Joe's Italian, right? I live about 5 minutes from there. That place is normally packed on the weekend.

Are there any good places for classic gaming (shops, fleas, e.t.c.) in the Montgomery area? I'm thinking about taking a trip down for a day sometime.
    Last edited by Kyle15; 08-24-2009 at 10:29 PM.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Right off of Cambridge Street, in Worcester, MA (right before the Salvation Army). I have not been in there for a few years, but I know it exists as I drive by it sometimes and some of my students go there once in a while. They had some early/mid 90's stuff and then some more recent stuff. Not sure now. Also, they had a room where you could pay to use computers and play online (Internet cafe? -- Don't see the point of it myself!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    I mean...they try to open at the mall a bit south of here, but they always close within a month it seems (There are still just a few arcade machines along an indentation in the wall; HARDLY can be considered a real arcade).

Here in town, there are a few arcade machines scattered around (2 in Als; a local eatery FOR SURE), but that's it. Even downstate in Portland Maine, Dream Machine closed at the mall down there (the space it occupied is now "The Ginger Pad"; an asian bistro, and an empty area that is used as a seasonal halloween store. I don't know of any arcades that still exist in Maine...Which is pretty sad.

They were a part of my childhood too, and it's sad to see them dying...do any of you still have 'em around where you live?

I don't know exactly how far it is from you, but Funspot in New Hampshire is officially the largest arcade in the world. It's a truly magical place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mall arcades have a hard time keeping up with the ever increasing rental of the storefront. Malls all over are seeing less people flocking threw their doors and less people at the mall means less people leaving their kids at the arcade with $5 bucks.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GENTLEMENofLULZ

Well if your in New York go hit Chinatown Fair on Mott Street small but has a decent variety of fighters Rumble Fish 2, SF4, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, Arcana Heart 2, Samurai Shodown/Spirits 5, King of Fighters '98, 2 Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 machines, Xmen Vs Street Fighter, ETC.

Then theres University Pinball just outside University of Penn in West Philly. I've heard from some ppl that have been there that they have stuff like SF4 and Arcana Heart 2 so it might be worth a look.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Seaside Heights Boardwalk in NJ

There are still a handfull of "arcades" that still have machines.

The Carousel Arcade has a nice "retro arcade" with a very nice selection of pins and classic machines ... in recent years they've had better upkeep on the control panels and screens.

Found a video on YouTube ... of course YouTube is doing all sorts of server maintenance today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTGLiZVT0c
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

There are maybe 3 on the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk. They aren't anything special though.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I know of three Arcades in Washington State near me so far - Gameworks in downtown Seattle, in Seattle Center, and one in the Federal Way "The Commons" mall + one more in the same mall if you count the movie theatre's arcade.

I've seen a bar or two with an arcade video game in it (although they were sports games).
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How 'bout Funarama and Playland in Hampton Beach, NH. I believe they are still there, may have more redemption machines than anything, but I hear they are still pretty profitable and have been around for quite a while. Funarama for instance still pulls in up to 5 million a year, seasonal as it may be.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi...
    The arcades were amazing even then, and they had regular pro am races across the parking lot. With such close proximity to Starlite swap meet, you could probably buy anything game or fun related within a one mile radius ;P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I feel ya. I grew up in the 80's and I remember hanging out at the arcade, and pumping all my quarters into those games. and I wish they HAD any real arcades, anymore, especially with retro-80's games!!

Heck, when my mom passes on, and leaves me the house, I already plan on converting our basement into my very own private 80's Arcade...complete with all my faves...

Crazy Climber, Cruisin' Galaga, Pole Position, Moon Patrol, Pac-Man, Q*Bert, Dig Dug...just to name a few. Seriously, I have a big basement, and it seems to me I could make my own little 80's retro arcade down there. Mom would never let me do it as long as she lives, she'd bitch about the electric bill.

I rent the upstairs of her house, currently, and have my home business up there, too. but I got plans for that basement when the house passes into my name!! I'll have my own arcade down there, and I'll invite any of y'all who wanna play REAL arcade games...like, from the 80's!!

Screw the 90's and beyond, if it wasn't made in the 80's I don't want it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one here in waldorf MD called game over. They have a facebook page. All I have to say is that they have some games that don't work and for some reason will not replace them with working machines. The great games they have working are rambo, terminator and my favorite itg 2. Facebook page found here http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001458864041 Oh they do have the three latest counsels for you to play and play movies.
    Last edited by lookfun78; 03-17-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went up to my mall today to walk for excercise (it was too cool to walk outside). There was an arcade there for a bit but this is the first time I've been there in months and it's long gone. There is, however, some sort of miniature golf in one store and I saw they had some arcade machines. I meant to go in and see what they had but I forgot to go in and see once my walking was done. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and check it out.

Insert Coin (Level 0) darthi8nt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    darthi8nt

In Manassas Va we have a small mall and it has a time out in it with a few games. Tekken 5 and some of the oldies like Galaga and ms Pacman. I just got finished repairing a multicade and a ms pacman in a pizza parlor.