Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could go back in time and get one retro game...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I go back in time I can't think of any game I would get that I can't get for a lower price today. I would not buy any game just because I know it'll be worth more later on.

While I'm there, I would buy stocks. Microsoft stocks. Lots and lots of Microsoft stocks.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chuckwalla's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

You got that right!

Quote Originally Posted by ronclon View Post
    If I could go back in time I would just stay there. The eighties ruled.
    Gamewise, i'd get a rack of Colecovision Galaxians and Qbert Qubes - i've seen several auctions of both of them over recent years go for a few hundred $ sealed in the box.

Systemwise, i'd get a bunch of Sega Nomad's and CDX's - which i've also seen go for hundreds each brand new. I got my Nomad in '97 for $50 at Toys R Us and I remember how pissed off I was that I was strapped for money back then and couldn't afford more than one - but atleast I got one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

If i could go back to the 90's snaging a,Magical Chase u.s version.

Given how much it go's for these days at least the jpn version is cheaper.Even if it's not by much,not to mention the u.s version has more going for it in graphics.

I remember befor tradeing the TG16+TurboCD away at the time how cheap magical chase was.

Now it's worth alot and i don't see myself spending that much for a game.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Nothing I can think of.

I would have said Roc 'n Rope for the Atari 2600 a few years ago, because of the story I told here many years ago about it being a game I really wanted, but couldn't afford it, and then when I did have the money...it was gone.

But then, I would have missed out on the very special moment a few years back when a copy appeared in a Secret Santa gift...ending a long, and emotional nearly 20 year trek for that cartridge. A time machine would have made that moment impossible...and I would hate to lose that moment. And it is those moments, and few and far between they are anymore, that still drive me to this day.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dudes, if you REALLY want to profit from time-travel, don't go for video games... go for Golden Age comic books! Imagine going back to the days where they only costed ten cents, and buying a stack of Action Comics #1. Overnight millionaire.

The real nightmare is getting the money, since obviously today's money would be worthless in the 1930s (or even the 1980s)--everyone would think it was counterfeit. (Personally, my plan would be to melt down a bunch of quarters into silver ore, go back in time and sell it, then use the resulting cash to pay for everything. Repeat as necessary).

Personally, I would go back in time and find those hard-as-nails-to-find PC games, especially the ones that could only be had by mail order. Actually, I'd use time travel to accomplish my dream of owning every video game ever made.

I wouldn't stop there either. I'd buy a house and live in the past, but bring all my junk from the future there, so I'd be living in this house full of things that don't exist yet (imagine playing Morrowind in 1980). And I'd go into the future and acquire these fancy computers with bazillion-terrabyte hard drives and TV tuner cards that accept antenna signals, and their whole purpose would be to record the entire broadcast days of every channel in the area.

And I'd seek out each and every last one of you and allow you to do what you wanted to do, as long as it didn't mess up my past.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Psychic Assassin Taromaru

I doubt I'll ever be able to get a copy of it to suit my pickiness any other way
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd go back in time. grab
    My friend have copy of beta game bloody wolf for nintendo 8bit yes for NES also he have copy of bad dudes for nes 2 players like arcade version my friend lose the 2 beta games
    also I grab like 50 Metal Slug 1 for neogeo AES
    I grab 20 sega genesis Altered Beast system
    find my old self. then I screaming hey jackass never sell any of your games or systems also copy all the video game show like video power. now only have 8 hour of the show video tape

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To tell you the truth, I'm starting to get a little disillusioned with game collecting.

Why am I reviving this thread to say this? Because honestly time travel is about the only thing that would give it any point. Why preserve a historic relic if you can't preserve it intact, as it was when it was new?

And also, I don't get the same "thrill of the hunt" others do. I mean, I like to shop at flea markets and pick up random baubles, but most of the time I just want the damn game and I hate the hassles modern collecting puts you through ($80 for Final Fantasy VII? Glad I bought it when it was new).
    Last edited by James8BitStar; 08-22-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would go back in time five hours and grab Guitar Hero III.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The reason Bio Force Ape never came out is I already went back in time and stole the REAL prototype.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't care less about going back in time to make a profit getting rare games.

I would like to go back and get some rare stuff that's difficult to find in great condition now (if at all) -- I'm thinking AdventureVision, specifically.

Some NIB Game and Watches would be fun to have, too.

I'd like to have alot of the games I wanted in my youth brand new -- the tabletop arcades (not difficult to find, I know, but i'd want the joy of having them when they were cool to my 4th grade self), some groovy handhelds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good topic. I also don't care much for value, or rarity or money. For pure nostalgia, I would have loved to have been able to pick up a SNES on launch, brand spankin' new with the smell of the plastic, plus all the launch games. Sigh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    theCHUDscame

Quote Originally Posted by calgon View Post
    Good topic. I also don't care much for value, or rarity or money. For pure nostalgia, I would have loved to have been able to pick up a SNES on launch, brand spankin' new with the smell of the plastic, plus all the launch games. Sigh.
    Yeah, you'd definitely want the plastic smell then. I got a SNES mini completely sealed in the box a while back, and I'm not one to really be picky about opening sealed stuff (if I really need money later, I'm sure there are other ways to get it) and when I opened it the box smelled like cat piss. Everything looked fine, no stains in or on the box, but the styrofoam or something being locked up in that cardboard box caused a violent odor which I am currently trying to remove with baking soda.