Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which console did Mario dominate???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Seriously, I say NES. Yes, Super Mario World is a great game, but SMB 1, 2 and 3 were more influencial altogether.
    They also meant more to the console. These games were a base for console gaming to re-establish consoles in the home after the vg crash. JMO
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Nintendo 64 had Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, the Mario Party series, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, and Super Smash Bros. Those were huge games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TwinChargers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CelticJobber View Post
    I have to say he dominated NES the most. And I'm stunned that more people don't agree with this.

Most of the classic 2D Mario games debuted on that system, and I certainly played more Mario games on NES than any other system. And hell, Super Mario Bros. was the main reason I wanted a Nintendo to begin with.

Mario was huge all around during the 8-bit generation, but during the 16-bit era he was greatly over-shadowed in popularity by Sonic The Hedgehog and to a lesser extent, Donkey Kong Country. And Super Mario All-Stars was DQ'ed from being counted, which makes the SNES domination of this thread even more puzzling.
    Agreed, I almost thought that this was a given, but apparently I'm wrong.
    I think it would be harder for one to make an argument against the NES than to just say the SNES wins.
    These pretzels are making me thirsty!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Quote Originally Posted by CelticJobber View Post
    I have to say he dominated NES the most. And I'm stunned that more people don't agree with this.

Most of the classic 2D Mario games debuted on that system, and I certainly played more Mario games on NES than any other system. And hell, Super Mario Bros. was the main reason I wanted a Nintendo to begin with.

Mario was huge all around during the 8-bit generation, but during the 16-bit era he was greatly over-shadowed in popularity by Sonic The Hedgehog and to a lesser extent, Donkey Kong Country. And Super Mario All-Stars was DQ'ed from being counted, which makes the SNES domination of this thread even more puzzling.
    I agree as well, but will add that while I think Mario and his shadow dominated the NES most, I think he was most important to the success of the N64. The NES and SNES had third-party support in droves, but for the N64 Nintento really had to step up as first-party developers and rely on Mario to carry the console. Like Rob mentioned, he was in a ton of the best selling games for the system. Mario dominated the N64.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are too many factors for me to give a simple answer.

If we're talking "influence", obviously NES would take the cake. As far as evolution of quality, SNES... However, I feel N64 is a close second; it really doesn't get enough credit.