Thread: Top 5 Hardest RPGs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remove Wizardry (NES) and cycle in Wizardry IV. That game is bullshit.

Exile: Wicked Phenomenon gets an honorable mention not so much for being difficult as it does for being fucking bullshit. I guess "hardcore players" would find the allure of endlessly grinding away their levels on short side scrolling segments to get to the point where bosses don't kill them in one or two hits appealing, but I found the game to be a tedious fucking mess of Vic Ireland's bullshit. Apparently the japanese version is a lot more playable, not that I'd ever want to try since it's such a drastic step down in quality from Exile any-damn-way.

But yea. Fuck Wizardry IV. Have fun reading the wikipedia article.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

legend of legaia 2...well not so much on the gameplay side & to be honest i can't really speak on the level grind, shit i never even made it a single boss so naturally it follows that im not really qualified to gauge its difficulty, no, in fact i dont think i ever even made it past the first 15 minutes....

So WTF is so hard about this game you may be asking??

.....not biting through your own tongue and going out in glorious mind-seering agony after trudging through the aforementioned 15 minutes...

FUCK.

THIS.

GAME.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ultima: Runes of Virtue II, SNES version. The game autosaves like crazy. It's extremely easy to get into a situation where you're SOL because you're low on health and saved in a bad spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would take out Diablo 2. You can pretty much go straight through that game without having to grind or anything. I suppose if you want to go through all three difficulties it definitely gets tough, but just Normal isn't bad at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chrono Trigger. By far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Final Fantasy for nes. Unless you spend hours leveling and buying potions you're gonna lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

How is Diablo II remotely difficult?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Amnion-Chorion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssjlance View Post
    Chrono Trigger. By far.
    Seriously? I never found Chrono to be all that tough, other than some of the optional bosses. It was actually one of the few RPG's I was able to complete as a kid, now that I think about it.

Anyway, I'm going to throw in another vote for the US version of 7th Saga, since it's so absurdly difficult that even with grinding, nearly every encounter can lead to an untimely death.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssjlance View Post
    Chrono Trigger. By far.
    Sqare has always put insanely difficult optional bosses in thier games (Ruby Weapon, Ozma) but as far as the core games go... they really are pretty easy.

Square's RPGs have become the equivalent of "Radio Friendly". They appeal to the general masses and are scared that if their too hard, gamers will turn away and sales will plummet. So they give us games that have amazing production values, but take very little dedication to beat.

When I beat Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 I felt okay. I was like "Well that was cool. I finally beat it." and then put it on the self and never touched most of them again.

When I beat Phantasy Star IV it was a Revelation. I was stuck at the end for like a week or two and could NOT beat Dark Force. When I finally managed, I was jumping up and down and and screaming, "HOLY SH!T I finally beat Dark Force!!! I can't believe it!!! There is now way I just did that!"

PS IV certainly did not have the production values of FF6 or Chrono Trigger, but it was a huge challenge and when I beat it I really felt I accomplished something.
    Last edited by Wraith Storm; 08-10-2008 at 03:02 PM.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

No Megami Tensei in this thread? It's great getting an instant game over if your main character dies, even while the rest of your party is in perfect condition. Oh and he's open to instant death spells.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Sqare has always put insanely difficult optional bosses in thier games (Ruby Weapon, Ozma) but as far as the core games go... they really are pretty easy.

Square's RPGs have become the equivalent of "Radio Friendly". They appeal to the general masses and are scared that if their too hard, gamers will turn away and sales will plummet. So they give us games that have amazing production values, but take very little dedication to beat.

When I beat Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 I felt okay. I was like "Well that was cool. I finally beat it." and then put it on the self and never touched most of them again.

When I beat Phantasy Star IV it was a Revelation. I was stuck at the end for like a week or two and could NOT beat Dark Force. When I finally managed, I was jumping up and down and and screaming, "HOLY SH!T I finally beat Dark Force!!! I can't believe it!!! There is now way I just did that!"

PS IV certainly did not have the production values of FF6 or Chrono Trigger, but it was a huge challenge and when I beat it I really felt I accomplished something.
    Hear hear.

PS IV actually had quite a high production value (it's like the most beautiful genesis game out there, and defaintely the best RPG).

Even greater accomplishment? Beating PS II. Even with the playstation 2 remake that game is a demon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    But yea. Fuck Wizardry IV. Have fun reading the wikipedia article.
    Seriously, did anyone actually finish this game back in the day? It makes The Tower of Druaga sound like a kid's game.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've read of a few people who supposedly beat it. Never done it myself though.