Thread: Fixing/Getting to work NES power adapters?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fixing/Getting to work NES power adapters?

I have about 15 adapters that Dont work. Any reason why they dont? Any way to fix them, or anything? I took two of them and took toothpicks with some alcohol on them and put it inside the hole and reamed it out a bit, came out pretty black, but still didnt work. ANy help would be great.
    Always looking to expand my Atari collection, Odyssey and etc. ESPECIALLY looking to add to my Masters of the Universe Collection See here:http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Igorr/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

did you check them out with a multimeter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
    did you check them out with a multimeter?
    Um yeah, duh. Actually, no. Why didnt I think of that at first? I will do that, if thats all good, any ideas?

That would probably be the problem though.
    Always looking to expand my Atari collection, Odyssey and etc. ESPECIALLY looking to add to my Masters of the Universe Collection See here:http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Igorr/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i'm no expert in this stuff, or even a novice. but i figure to check to see which ones are outputting power at the nes side. If they aren't they might be junk but if they are (and the correct output) then something probably could be done for them

Granted like I said I no absolutely nothing about this shit... thats just what my "logic" came up with :P

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have any NES power supplies handy, but can these be taken apart with screws? There could be any number of reasons they are broken. Transformer could be bad, a capacitor may be shot which has broken the circuit, a solder joint could've come loose, any number of things.

Checking the output with a meter won't do much good, that will only confirm to you that they don't work and you already know that. You'd have to open them to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madman77 View Post
    I don't have any NES power supplies handy, but can these be taken apart with screws? There could be any number of reasons they are broken. Transformer could be bad, a capacitor may be shot which has broken the circuit, a solder joint could've come loose, any number of things.

Checking the output with a meter won't do much good, that will only confirm to you that they don't work and you already know that. You'd have to open them to see.
    Yeah, I was going to take them apart BUT they have a weird rectangle bit thingy that I dont have. Anyone know how to open them up? I have the security bit for the games, but its different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Most of the time with adaptors the problem is at the plug end that goes into the machine. One (and sometimes both) of the little wires will break (inside the plastic cover so you can't visually see it) and that is it. If you go to a radio shack you might be able to find a replacement plug. Buy one, solder two short wires on it, strip the adaptor wires a few inches back from the old plug end, connect the wires to the new plug (make sure the two leads don't touch) and test each one with an NES. Buy as many plugs as you need/want (for working adaptors) and solder them permanently.

The only other thing you will have to do is make sure you get the polarity straight. If you don't know how to do this, I can sorta describe it to you - you will need a circuit tester of some sort - the radio shack folks should be able to help you with this too.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!