Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Mame Computer? Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Possible Mame Computer? Help

Hey, I was browsing ebay and I really need to start getting my mame computer stuff. I have had my project just sitting in the garage.

Would this make a good computer for a mame project? If not what else would I need? I think it sounds like it would work well.

The guy has other computers as well, some even cheaper, like 70 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTIUM-4-1-5-GH...742.m153.l1262
    Always looking to expand my Atari collection, Odyssey and etc. ESPECIALLY looking to add to my Masters of the Universe Collection See here:http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Igorr/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

It completely depends on what your wanting to run. If it's older pacman type games then that's way too much. If it's most games it's still probally too much. I got my mame PC for $50 and it runs all but the newest games perfectly.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

my old school amd k6-2 450 ran nearly every game just fine. you should be able to build a completely overkill for mame system for about $100 or so. Pricewatch.com is your friend
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So thats overkill you think? I dont mind spending 100 on a computer, he has the same thing here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=007

but with a smaller hard drive. Would that one be a bit better or make more sense?

I mean for 100 bucks shipped with mouse and keyboard, I think its a pretty good deal.
    Always looking to expand my Atari collection, Odyssey and etc. ESPECIALLY looking to add to my Masters of the Universe Collection See here:http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/Igorr/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

People are giving away better systems than that these days. Check Craigslist/etc for something local. Heck, ask some businesses if they have old systems kicking around - they're generally happy to be rid of them if you offer to take the hard drive out.

Not worth spending money on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    People are giving away better systems than that these days. Check Craigslist/etc for something local. Heck, ask some businesses if they have old systems kicking around - they're generally happy to be rid of them if you offer to take the hard drive out.

Not worth spending money on!

I have looked on craigslist, I either cant find a good one, or I miss one, or they are 200++

Thats why I thought just drop 100 and get one and not have to worry about doing anything to it at all. Just hook it all up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if the above computers are too much, in regards to what they have, anyone close to the pittsburgh area with a computer they dont need?

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Here's a thought. Try your local computer recyclery. They usually get tons of working systems. The worst thing that happens is they tell you "no" to buying a system.

Thats how I got my P4 2.66ghz, 640ish RD ram workstation for $30.
    Last edited by otoko; 07-24-2008 at 06:35 AM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Also, it might be worth your while to thrift. I know, this is really hit or miss, but just today I picked up a HP P4 2.66/512 DDR/40GB (one of those little gray business machines) that only seems to need a fresh install of an OS and is good to go. Cost? $24.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

You could put an ad up on CL saying "Looking for free computer - email with specs and I'll come take it away!"

You'd be surprised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    Also, it might be worth your while to thrift. I know, this is really hit or miss, but just today I picked up a HP P4 2.66/512 DDR/40GB (one of those little gray business machines) that only seems to need a fresh install of an OS and is good to go. Cost? $24.

Thrift stores around here are not that good. You'd be lucky to get that for 200$ at the ones I live near.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    Thrift stores around here are not that good. You'd be lucky to get that for 200$ at the ones I live near.
    Yeah, I just called the Goodwill Pittsburgh computer place in the Southside, there CHEAPEST computer, of course they are all rebuilt (by them I guess) is 209.00.

I can get a brand new one for cheaper than that.

What do you think about this one?
    I can get it for 110.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/sys/740707077.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I have this to say. My friend owns a computer store... and he gives me those computers for free.. They're that worthless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

For that gateway if you REALLY want it I'd offer $50, delivered.

Serioudly though - for someone who works in IT, they're worthless.

If you're looking to use it for MAME why not just get a cheap old laptop? They'll run most everything and you can put them inside a cabinet a lot easier...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hold up, wait a minute. I am scoring a computer right now. Just got the pennysaver. 25$ With monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I will post what I got when I get home!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Well I have a Ipaq workstation I don't have a need for anymore (In fact I currently employ it as my stool to reach games in my collection). I also have a old etower.

Ipaq- 500mhz, 256mb ram, CD drive, compact design. 2 usb, 4mb video RAM, ethernet, Win XP pro. I'll changing the HDD in it first. No room for expansion.

Emachine Etower- 633mhz, 256 (maybe more?) mb ram, DVD drive, 2 usb, unknown mb video RAM, Floppy drive, Win XP pro Fresh install. room for expansion 3 PCI ports.

I'd say all you'd have to pay for is shipping. I figure any of those should handle it quite well.

Edit: Nevermind?
    Last edited by otoko; 07-24-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    Well I have a Ipaq workstation I don't have a need for anymore (In fact I currently employ it as my stool to reach games in my collection). I also have a old etower.

Ipaq- 500mhz, 256mb ram, CD drive, compact design. 2 usb, 4mb video RAM, ethernet, Win XP pro. I'll changing the HDD in it first. No room for expansion.

Emachine Etower- 633mhz, 256 (maybe more?) mb ram, DVD drive, 2 usb, unknown mb video RAM, Floppy drive, Win XP pro Fresh install. room for expansion 3 PCI ports.

I'd say all you'd have to pay for is shipping. I figure any of those should handle it quite well.

Edit: Nevermind?
    Hey, I will let you know, I am leaving now to get that computer, and or to check it out. thanks for the great offers. I will post what I get later.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I have a pretty decent experience tooling around with MAME on a win XP system.

If you want to run modern games (like Street Fighter III), you'll need a decent amount of ram and processing speed ... but over-kill on the ram won't help some games at all.

From what I've read/learned, a Pentium 3 with about 500MB or greater of ram is a safe place to be for a MAME CPU.

That's what I've got running in mine and out of the 6000+ roms I have in my MAME cab, I can do pretty much everything except for 3D fighters like Tekken or DOA.

Unfortunately some games have minor sound/video compatability with different versions of MAME that goe beyond the CPU speed no matter how fast or advanced your computer is, which is why I keep about 4 or 5 various versions of MAME 32/UI on my cab to deal with that where applicable.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I got a HP Pavilion 6640C with I think like a 15 gig hard drive, mouse, keyboard and monitor for 25.

Pic:
    http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63...on=tageditmany

I tried to go online with it, went through the whole thing, but it seems that it only can use dial up? Could that be right? How can I get around that or make it accept my high speed verizon?

As you can see, I am not a computer person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by Igorr View Post
    Well I got a HP Pavilion 6640C with I think like a 15 gig hard drive, mouse, keyboard and monitor for 25.

Pic:
    http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y63...on=tageditmany

I tried to go online with it, went through the whole thing, but it seems that it only can use dial up? Could that be right? How can I get around that or make it accept my high speed verizon?

As you can see, I am not a computer person.
    Your link does not work. What are the internal specs? Processor, RAM, video, etc? Also does it have a ethernet card/port? That's what you need to connect to a high speed connection. If it has a modem in the case... I'd throw that junk into the recycle.