Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Default Considering joining the Dark Side, PSP Custom Firmware

I really wasn't interested in this at first, but now that I'm taking my PSP out with me more often, I'm starting to think it would be nice to have a few of my games right on the memory stick. Also, my patched copy of Tales of Phantasia would be cool to play on the go as well.

Anyways, I know there's alot of useful guides out there, but I'm really not even sure where to start. It seems that it depends on what firmware you're starting with. Here's my "Specs"

Slim PSP - Firmware version 3.95
    Regular Slim Battery
    Regular 1 GB Memory Stick

I also have a few questions...

1. Is it possible to add a custom firmware with everything I have right now? Or would I have to go out and buy some extra stuff?

2. I buy new games on a regular basis, and would hate to have to wait to play a game I just bought because the firmware doesn't support it. How long does it take to have a new custom version out so I can play a new game?

3. Once I get my PSP "Caught Up" and set up with a custom firmware, is it easy to start adding programs? Or are there firmware specific versions?

I guess that's it. Thanks for any help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

You have a couple of options.

The first and easiest for you by far is to go to Ebay or Amazon and buy a Datel Pandora battery and magic memory stick. From there it's literally just twenty minutes and you're good to go. Should cost you less than fifty bucks.

The second way is to create a battery pack and magic memory stick yerself. Go here. (This assumes you have a friend with a phat PSP with 1.5 firmware.

Can you solder? If so, you can make your own Pandora battery. Please be aware that screwing this up can cause explosions. Go Here for instructions.

For both do-it-youself solutions, you can find step by step directions on YouTube.

For more answers, and support once you get yer PSP hacked, go to Maxconsole Forums.

It isn't as daunting as it looks.

You're going to want the most stabe CFW out there, which at the moment is 3.90 M33. Google it. There's a huge stable of emulators and apps for it, and I've yet to have it crash or brick. Best of all, it plays every UMD game that requires 3.90 FW and back(which at the moment is all of them).

PS3 downloads of PS1 games won't work anymore without severe screwing around, but to offset that you can rip PS1 games to a memory stick and play them.

As far as how easy it is to add programs, that depends entirely on what you're adding. If you stick to emulators and such, there isn't anything easier. If you start getting into homebrew, it gets more complicated.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 06-07-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Thanks for all of the help.

The only other person I know that has a PSP has no interest in all of this, so option 2 is out. And I'm scared to see what I would do with a soldering iron, so there goes 3. Looks like 1 is the way to go.

I found this guy, is this what you're talking about?
    Click me!

Actually, that would be handy anyways if I can continue to use that battery. Can it also be used to power the PSP? It's larger than the one that came with the system. Otherwise it's like paying $40 for a one time use item, which kind of blows... but what am I going to do.

Edit - Looks like THIS is what you may have meant. Which is even more of a one time use item. Or should I hold onto it for other reasons?

Edit 2 - Doh again! this one?

Which option is best? An adaptor or a battery?
    Thanks again
    Last edited by VACRMH; 06-07-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

all of hte ones you just linked to would work. its simply a battery with one pin missing. you can only use it to hack. if you make your own (using software) you can flip it back and forth between a modding-only battery and one for general purpose. likewise you can simply rip the pin out to mimick that of the datel 'tool'

good luck.

Cherry (Level 1) DaBargainHunta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to crash this topic, but I bought a PSP that was already hacked with what is now a fairly old custom firmware (3.03 or something like that). How much hassle would it entail to get it updated to the latest custom firmware? I've looked on the net, but all of that seems to be written for major tech heads. Anyone have a plain English explanation? I'm scared to death to take the plunge, but if it's easy enough, I might.

A note for the OP: Maybe you do what I did and buy a PSP that's already hacked with custom firmware. I was actually able to get mine for a very reasonable price because the new model was about to come out at that point. I got mine on a message board I frequent. Perhaps you should make a request on the Buying & Selling forum here and on other boards you use? There's also Ebay, of course. But I prefer the smaller, intimate setting of a board like this. Much easier to have a convo with the person, and if he's crooked, the rest of the board will likely back you up.
    Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 06-07-2008 at 08:13 PM.
    Formerly the poster known as Retro Pro

My review of Road Trip for PS2: http://digitpress.com/reviews/roadtrip.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Ok, went ahead and nabbed a Datel Battery.

I'm looking into all of the firmware stuff, but of course my worry is bricking the PSP. But if I have this Battery, I really wouldn't have to worry would I?

It seems like every tutorial I see says that I have to have an older firmware version before updating to 3.90, is that the case or if I have this battery can I just jump right to installing 3.90.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by VACRMH; 06-07-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
    Sorry to crash this topic, but I bought a PSP that was already hacked with what is now a fairly old custom firmware (3.03 or something like that). How much hassle would it entail to get it updated to the latest custom firmware?
    If you're worried about games that require higher firmware revisions, I'm fairly certain that all the custom firmwares disable this check so that the games run anyways. Unless there's some new feature in the newer firmwares that you can't live without, I'd say just stick with what you have.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    Ok, went ahead and nabbed a Datel Battery.

I'm looking into all of the firmware stuff, but of course my worry is bricking the PSP. But if I have this Battery, I really wouldn't have to worry would I?

Thanks again.
    Nah; if you check out Maxconsole and YouTube, you can find tutorials on making yourself a firmware backup in case your PSP bricks. I have to say though, I've had my PSP Slim hacked since launch, and I've never had a problem, because I A) take the time to research what I'm doing to my property, and most importantly B) Don't usually screw around with anything other than the memory stick(unless I'm feeling saucy).

I don't know off the top of my head whether or not you need to downgrade your firmware before you Pandora your PSP... That's a question for someone else to answer

Did you buy a magic memory stick, or are you making your own? The battery won't work without the stick(which I'm sure you're well aware of, but it never hurts to be cautious )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Did you buy a magic memory stick, or are you making your own? The battery won't work without the stick(which I'm sure you're well aware of, but it never hurts to be cautious )
    Going to make my own. From what I've seen, it doesn't look too hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Sorry to bump again, but hopefully this will help other people who are interested in this as well.

So I've been looking at various guides, faqs, tutorial videos and so forth. But they all seem to be different..

Some are for installing a cfw if you already have one, some are for installing it on a system without cfw (But mention you need a lower firmware version then what I have) and the version usually installed is an older version.

Is there anywhere I can go and say what type of firmware I have, and just start from there? Also, alot of people keep downgrading I see, why is that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH View Post
    So I've been looking at various guides, faqs, tutorial videos and so forth. But they all seem to be different..

Some are for installing a cfw if you already have one, some are for installing it on a system without cfw (But mention you need a lower firmware version then what I have) and the version usually installed is an older version.

Is there anywhere I can go and say what type of firmware I have, and just start from there? Also, alot of people keep downgrading I see, why is that?
    A lot of the problem with internet help with hacking is that the websites that host are usually not updated after a while. Old and obsolete guides and loopholes add up like so much effluvium, but there are a couple of places you're guaranteed expert help.

Check maxconsole.com forums for the facts regarding your cfw install. They're always on the ball.

People downgrade because different versions of firmware have different exploits, and different versions of cfw have different strengths and weaknesses. Different versions of official firmware are required to install different versions of cfw. Just trust me and go with 3.90 M33 for now as it's the most stable and reliable cfw out there in my experience(unless anyone out there can helpfully contradict me).

You might have to downgrade your firmware before your cfw install. I'd ask around Maxconsole and PSPhacks.com forums to get the facts before you get to it.