Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ghostangelofcky View Post
    Turbografx
    dreamcast
    I don't spend too much time with FreeDO for 3DO emulation (you can find a compatibility list here) and my foray into Jaguar emulation was short lived, so I can't help much with those.

Dreamcast emulation is surprisingly alive and well, with excellent progress being made by Makaron, though Chankast is still the most popular (mainly because it was the first one to work fairly decently). I'm sure there's some decently accurate compatibility lists out there for Chankast if you google a bit.

For TG16 emulation, the two best emulators are Ootake and Mednafen. Mednafen suffers from the lack of a GUI, so if you don't feel comfortable dealing with the command line (it's really not that difficult, but I can understand why some people find it daunting), then give Ootake a look. While the GUI isn't the absolute bestest, it's fairly easy to navigate and its a ridiculously high quality emulator. Despite the lack of a GUI, Mednafen has a nice array of graphic filters that you can apply and also supports netplay. Ootake didn't like generating audio on my AC'97 chipset (which is cheap onboard audio that I shouldn't have been using in the first place...), but I haven't used it on that computer since mid-'06; it works peachy keen on my Audigy 2 (yes, I know, Creative Labs is teh devil...but onboard audio is leaps and bounds worse)

If you hate money, you can purchase Magic Engine, which has been around for a while, has a slick GUI and handles botched ROM dumps better (you know, in case you don't feel like finding a proper dump of a ROM and wind up downloading from a website that doesn't care about distributing bad dumps). Sadly, it suffers from noticeable input delay and its emulation isn't generally on par with that found in Ootake and Mednafen.
    Last edited by roushimsx; 05-11-2008 at 07:28 AM.