Thread: Replacing the analog stick on a Wavebird

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Replacing the analog stick on a Wavebird

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to discover how hard it is to replace the wavebird's main analog stick with one from a regular Gamecube Controller, so if you don't feel like reading the rest of this post, don't worry about it

I've had a set of wavebirds since they released back on the gamecube and recently have been using them for any Wii game that lets me. For the last month it's been Brawl and in a few days Mario Kart will take over as king. However it seems that my analog sticks are going bad in my controllers, one a little worse than the other. To clarify, not the C-Stick, just the main one. Anyway I've tried switching channels and playing at different times of the day but now one of them is even moving the joystick when it's not being touched but only after input. I turn it off and on making sure the joystick is perfectly centered and before I touch anything the cursor doesn't move, however once I move the joystick and let it go, my wavebird decides it's not done yet and continues to move the cursor sporadically. I've tried setting my second wavebird to the same channel and performing the same action but it works normally so I doubt interference is the issue or it would repeat on both of my wavebirds.

Anyway I have 4 wired GC controllers that I never use and would like to switch the analog sticks with those in my wavebirds. Can I do this? Basically if I remove the shell off the wavebird and GC controller will I find the analog stick soldered on to the circuit board or is it held in place with a screw or the casing itself that won't make things difficult to perform the switch. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks for you help!

Jack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, just desolder and resolder. Take your time, and it will work swimmingly.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Jack, awesome question. I have a friend with a similar issue. This will help. Thanks Omnedon too!
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had an issue with one of my wavebirds. After a couple of seconds of holding the joystick in one direction, it seemed to be stuck. I'd have to turn it on and off. I took it apart and cleaned it. All is good.

I'd try that before going in and doing any kind of surgery.