Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever much of a difference between Amiga/Atari/or IBM PC ports?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    I think virtually all PCs had hard drives by 1989 or so, albeit they were usually like 20 megabytes. I'd bet most post-PC/AT clones had hard drives. In fact, the PC/XT, which was introduced in 1983, had a 10 megabyte hard drive standard.
    True, but I'd say that it wasn't until late 1990 when the MPC standard came into being that game developers really started making HD installability a standard feature in most PC games. I can even recall owning several early CD-Rom games by Sierra that basically loaded right off the CD-Rom rather than installing anywhere on my PC and that was in 1991.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Another plus is that PC hardware is super easy to find nowadays. Any $5 second-hand computer can easily be turned into a DOS machine to run some Duke Nukem, while high-quality Amiga and ST setups can run you a pretty penny. The games are much easier to find these days too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm assuming you are talking about Duke Nuke'em 3D which was released in 1996 and not the earlier platform games which the Amiga or ST could've handled very easily. Both the ST and Amiga were basically out of the running before that particular game came out.
    I think the point is that although the Amiga or ST undoubtedly had platform games that were equal to or better than the original Duke Nukem 2D platformers, right now in 2008 you can expect to pay substantially more for an Amiga or an ST than you would for a PC that could run Duke Nukem 2D - even an ancient PC from 1992.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Maybe I got the deal of the century, but I paid $25 for my Amiga 1200 from the B&S forum here a few years ago. In fact, I replaced my Amiga 500 with it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While we're talking old computer systems here:

Is the Apple IIGS backwards compatible with the Apple IIe and previous models?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, but I'd say that it wasn't until late 1990 when the MPC standard came into being that game developers really started making HD installability a standard feature in most PC games. I can even recall owning several early CD-Rom games by Sierra that basically loaded right off the CD-Rom rather than installing anywhere on my PC and that was in 1991.
    That's because they were on CD, and too large to fit the average hard drive. And they always had the option to install the program on the hard drive but stream the audio or video off the CD drive.

If you look at Sierra's floppy based games, they've all had the option of installing to the hard disk since the days of Space Quest 3 in the mid 80's.

I think the point is that although the Amiga or ST undoubtedly had platform games that were equal to or better than the original Duke Nukem 2D platformers,
    Graphic wise, hell yes. But gameplay wise, most Amiga platformers are crap. Excluding stuff like Superfrog, most Amiga platformers play no better than your average Apogee shareware platformer.

For the most part yes. Some poorly behaved IIe games that use undocumented instructions on the 65c02 that weren't implemented on the 65816 probably won't run.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I think you are mixing up the history and era in question here. The heyday of the Amiga and ST was the period from about 1986 through maybe 1991 or 1992. During that time period, very few PCs had hard drives or sound cards. I believe the Sound Blaster didn't even come out until 1987 and my recollection is that it took 2-3 years before prices and software support made it a must buy accessory for gamers. By the early 90s, I would agree that the PC had caught up, but still at a much higher price than a similar ST or Amiga.
    I had an old 8088 that had a 10 MB hard drive, and as far as I'm concerned, once 286's were common, hard drives were pretty standard. True, not everyone had them, but certainly by the late 80's, it was far more likely to see a PC with a hard drive than an Amiga or ST. Most games took advantage of this too. Adding a hard drive to a PC later was also generally easier and cheaper. I have an Atari SH-204 hard drive... the giant case has an MFM hard drive hooked to an MFM-to-SCSI adapter, which is in turn hooked to a SCSI-to-ACSI adapter so it can talk to the ST... was it even possible for Atari to fuck this up any harder?

According to Wikipedia, the original Sound Blaster was released in late 1987, and this page claims that VGA was introduced in 1987 as well. The Atari ST and Amiga 1000 were released in 1985, though I'd say the Amiga scene really kicked off with the release of the Amiga 500 in 1987. Obviously, it would take years before VGA graphics and Sound Blaster effects were widely used, so the Amiga and ST definitely had a few years where they greatly outperformed the PC's.

So, your point is taken... but still, we're talking about around 3-4 years worth of games that are better (graphically and aurally) on the 68k machines... a relatively short time in my opinion.

I'm assuming you are talking about Duke Nuke'em 3D which was released in 1996 and not the earlier platform games which the Amiga or ST could've handled very easily. Both the ST and Amiga were basically out of the running before that particular game came out.
    The point was that putting together a high-quality, MS-DOS based PC is easy and cheap, while putting together a high-quality Amiga or Atari ST system is much harder and more expensive. I'd say anything that can run Duke Nukem 3D well counts as a high-quality, MS-DOS based PC... it wasn't meant as a direct comparison to any Amiga or ST game.

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Maybe I got the deal of the century, but I paid $25 for my Amiga 1200 from the B&S forum here a few years ago. In fact, I replaced my Amiga 500 with it.
    I got mine for $12 from a local thrift store... but it's not in the best shape, and the hard drive was dead (80MB is nothing anyways, so would have had to replace it anyways). I still haven't really gotten my 1200 set up nicely, as it just doesn't have enough base RAM for my likings. I've been wanting to get myself a nice accelerator card (maybe an '030) in order to solve the RAM problems, but the prices are just a touch higher than I'd like at the moment (I suppose I could get a cheap, RAM-only expansion, but if I'm going to fill that trapdoor slot, I might as well go all the way rather than buying a stop-gap solution that will be useless when I eventually get a real accelerator). In the mean time, I have a nice Amiga 3000 setup that serves me well, with 14MB of RAM, network card, '030, etc. Only thing it lacks is AGA graphics, and it's of course much larger than the 1200.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    Graphic wise, hell yes. But gameplay wise, most Amiga platformers are crap. Excluding stuff like Superfrog, most Amiga platformers play no better than your average Apogee shareware platformer.
    Honestly, 95% of PC platformers were terrible as well. Commander Keen was the first one worth playing, and Apogee was pretty much the only company that managed to do the job well (Dangerous Dave, Bio-Menace, and the original Duke Nukem are all excellent).

--Zero

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Epic Megagames had it's fair share of decent platformers as well. I remember enjoying Jill of the Jungle and Jazz Jackrabbit quite a bit. It's been years since I've played either, though, so it could be rose tinted glasses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Jazz Jackrabbit and Duke Nukem were actually 2 of the only PC platform games that I thought were any good. Most of the others all seemed really...clunky. And I was never sure why.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    I had an old 8088 that had a 10 MB hard drive, and as far as I'm concerned, once 286's were common, hard drives were pretty standard. True, not everyone had them, but certainly by the late 80's, it was far more likely to see a PC with a hard drive than an Amiga or ST. Most games took advantage of this too. Adding a hard drive to a PC later was also generally easier and cheaper. I have an Atari SH-204 hard drive... the giant case has an MFM hard drive hooked to an MFM-to-SCSI adapter, which is in turn hooked to a SCSI-to-ACSI adapter so it can talk to the ST... was it even possible for Atari to fuck this up any harder?

According to Wikipedia, the original Sound Blaster was released in late 1987, and this page claims that VGA was introduced in 1987 as well. The Atari ST and Amiga 1000 were released in 1985, though I'd say the Amiga scene really kicked off with the release of the Amiga 500 in 1987. Obviously, it would take years before VGA graphics and Sound Blaster effects were widely used, so the Amiga and ST definitely had a few years where they greatly outperformed the PC's.

So, your point is taken... but still, we're talking about around 3-4 years worth of games that are better (graphically and aurally) on the 68k machines... a relatively short time in my opinion.

The point was that putting together a high-quality, MS-DOS based PC is easy and cheap, while putting together a high-quality Amiga or Atari ST system is much harder and more expensive. I'd say anything that can run Duke Nukem 3D well counts as a high-quality, MS-DOS based PC... it wasn't meant as a direct comparison to any Amiga or ST game.

I got mine for $12 from a local thrift store... but it's not in the best shape, and the hard drive was dead (80MB is nothing anyways, so would have had to replace it anyways). I still haven't really gotten my 1200 set up nicely, as it just doesn't have enough base RAM for my likings. I've been wanting to get myself a nice accelerator card (maybe an '030) in order to solve the RAM problems, but the prices are just a touch higher than I'd like at the moment (I suppose I could get a cheap, RAM-only expansion, but if I'm going to fill that trapdoor slot, I might as well go all the way rather than buying a stop-gap solution that will be useless when I eventually get a real accelerator). In the mean time, I have a nice Amiga 3000 setup that serves me well, with 14MB of RAM, network card, '030, etc. Only thing it lacks is AGA graphics, and it's of course much larger than the 1200.

Honestly, 95% of PC platformers were terrible as well. Commander Keen was the first one worth playing, and Apogee was pretty much the only company that managed to do the job well (Dangerous Dave, Bio-Menace, and the original Duke Nukem are all excellent).

--Zero
    Again, you are remembering history different than it actually was. I recall having some friends over in 1991 and them being blown away by some of my Psygnosis games on the Amiga 500. My friend had a PC with Wing Commander at the time and compared to the graphics on my Amiga, he was disappointed that his dad had purchased a high end PC for I believe almost $2K at the time. I also specifically recall his father telling us that he didn't want the hard drive filled with games, especially since many of them were multiple high density discs and would have filled a large portion of it.

Unlike today where people buy new graphics cards fairly soon after they come out, back in that era, people waited and as a result, developers continued to program for the lowest common denominator. As such, I don't believe the PC was doing Amiga or ST quality games until maybe 1992 or 1993.

Putting together a "high quality" Amiga is cheap. I don't know of any pre-1994 games that took advantage of acceleration or RAM above 1 Meg. As such, you are fine with just an Amiga 500 or 2000 with the minimum configuration.

Even assuming you are correct with the 3-4 year estimate, literally hundreds of games came out in that period. As a collector and gamer, that's more than enough to justify owning an Amiga.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by James8BitStar View Post
    While we're talking old computer systems here:

Yes it is.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure if Defender of the Crown is the best example here though. The graphics are certainly the best on the Amiga, since it was the original version, but they also rushed this one and didn't include a couple of features that made it in the PC version for example from what I remember. Also, I think actually the Amiga screenshot is the one with the wrong proportions, see http://hol.abime.net/305/screenshot

I had no idea there was that much difference, or that the Atari ST could output such great graphics.
    It actually isn't that much of a hardware issue, but rather one of the artist doing the graphics. If you've got great pixel artists like James Sachs or Henk Nieborg working on a game for a specific system, the graphics will always look great considering the hardware's limitations. You just have to master the technique.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278