Thread: Planning PSX Book (Updated - See Last Page)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Planning PSX Book (Updated - See Last Page)

Hello everyone,

So, I have been meaning to post this for a long time now, perhaps afraid to, because it would probably never get done anyway. Lately though, I think it is because I have no direction yet in how to approach such a beast. By beast, I mean the largest behemoth-like project I have ever tackled in my life.

That is, simply put, to write the ultimate PlayStation book(s) or 'guide'.

By ultimate, I do not necessarily mean “everything you could possibly know about each game”, but instead by actual enlightenment and entertainment value. With a library of over 1270 games, 130+ demos, 100+ Lightspan, and god knows what else, this could never be an encyclopedia; no one’s that bored or sits that long on the toilet.

So I do have a few ideas of what I’d like to do, and that’s have fun with it. It wouldn’t be a replacement for Game-Rave.com, but more like a companion to the ship. I could work on both pages (a title’s web-page and in-book page) at the same time to help try and speed up both. I know how the outside would look; how the set of books would look were it needed, and I’m starting to get a feel for the layout possibilities. However, one can not layout what one does not have – and that is a focus on content.

So I leave it to you, dear peers. If you had to spend your money on a book or series of books that covered the 2nd largest gaming catalog in US history, what would you want in it? I don’t mean like, “Reviews and stuff” I mean like:

a. Would you prefer flatbed scans of the box and CD, or just a single group photograph of the manual, disc, case?
    b. Are you looking for humor, or serious banter?
    c. How many screenshots for a game is too few? Or too many?
    d. Just what information about a game are you looking for?
    e. Do you care about variants? Sub-genres? Etc…
    f. One insanely huge book, or smaller, say alphabetical sections (A-F, F-O, etc)
    g. Fun things? Personal stories? Comics? Little mascot like character running around? etc...

Any all comments will be saved to text file and sorted. No honest comments will be shunned, and I will most likely use this as an open forum for further discussion of suggestions and the like. Be as specific as possible! Right now there is no definitive answer, only creative input.

Here’s to passion...

Thank you in advance,
    Jason
    www.game-rave.com
    Last edited by Dangerboy; 04-23-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: updated