Thread: 3DO Surround Sound?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 3DO Surround Sound?

Many 3DO games proudly announce "Dolby Surround" in their title sequences. How would one go about setting up surround for the 3DO?

the kid

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Many 3DO games proudly announce "Dolby Surround" in their title sequences. How would one go about setting up surround for the 3DO?

the kid
    There's no Toslink port, so how would one do surround sound except through Pro Logic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You can get Dolby Surround from just a normal red and white RCA type plugs. You just have to run it into a receiver that supports Dolby Surround, and it can take that information and extract a mono surround channel from it.

I remember when Super Turrican for the SNES came out, and it supported Dolby Surround. All you needed to do, was hook the audio from the SNES to a stereo receiver that was Dolby Surround compatible, and you'd get some surround coming from the back speakers, which was a really cool thing back then.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    You can get Dolby Surround from just a normal red and white RCA type plugs. You just have to run it into a receiver that supports Dolby Surround, and it can take that information and extract a mono surround channel from it.

I remember when Super Turrican for the SNES came out, and it supported Dolby Surround. All you needed to do, was hook the audio from the SNES to a stereo receiver that was Dolby Surround compatible, and you'd get some surround coming from the back speakers, which was a really cool thing back then.
    It might even be an earlier version of Pro Logic. I know my Turtle beach has both Toslink and Red and White inputs. I could run the red and whites into the Turtle Beach. I don't know if my DVD recorder can convert Red and white into surround through its inputs, but if it can, I assume when it converts to HDMI, it caries that same sound through the HDMI to be decoded by my Turtle Beach. By the way I've got a universal HDMI-to-Toslink converter.

I know Genesis had Q Sound virtual surround sound, with Sonic CD and Eternal Champions CD, and maybe Street Fighter II: The New Challengers. Haven't tried them through my Turtle Beach yet. What SNES and 3DO games have Dolby surround sound, not necessarily a complete list, but enough where I probably have one game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post

Exactly. On the 3DO, Wing Commander III and Road Rash were just amazing in the sound department with the surround set up too. The Shockwave games also really benefited from this because you can hear the enemies coming up behind you, so you hear them before you see them. Really good for strategy in those games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tripletopper View Post
    It might even be an earlier version of Pro Logic.
    Yeah, I think Dolby Surround was before Pro-Logic. Pro-Logic includes the matrix-ing of a center channel in addition to the mono surround channel, I think. Dolby Surround, was just the front left and right speakers, and then a mono surround that could be pumped to surround speakers. It was the very beginning of surround sound. Of course, at this same time, Hi-Fi VCR's were also taking advantage of those rear speakers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dolby Surround and Dolby Pro Logic (I) are basically the same thing: a stereo signal with matrixed surround sound encoded. Pretty much any home theater receiver from 1987 on can decode the surround matrix on any medium that originally had a surround track, over analog RCA inputs. VHS, CED, 8mm tapes, Laserdiscs, early Windows 3.1 cd-roms, Genesis, SNES, etc.

Qsound is a virtual surround sound that uses phase shifting tricks to give the illusion of spatial ambience. To really get the effect you have to sit a certain distance from your stereo setup and the speakers have to be a certain distance apart. It's actually very cool sounding when done right. If you watch Robin Hood Prince of Thieves Qsound Laserdisc or VHS, you feel like sound is coming from 12 different directions.