Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    Thank You for reply.
    I had Golden Axe II but sold it off in my youth before the 6 button controller come out… and I never play Todd's Adventures.

So as it is, the game that are require mode button:

Forgotten Worlds
    Golden Axe II
    Todd's Adventures in Slime World

Thank you again for this reference…
    There was a package insert with the original run of 6-button controllers that listed all the games tested that required you to press the mode button before starting. The three I mentioned were on the list, and there was also a list of those that the 6-button controller was completely incompatible with, regardless of the mode button...I think Ms. Pac Man was actually on that list. I could be wrong, though.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was playing Todd's Adventure in Slime World today with a 6-button controller without being aware of needing the mode button held in. Well I came on here searching for help on the controls in the game (I can't for the life of me figure out how to use items) and I thought that maybe this was the problem. Can anyone help me out?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was playing Todd's Adventure in Slime World today with a 6-button controller without being aware of needing the mode button held in. Well I came on here searching for help on the controls in the game (I can't for the life of me figure out how to use items) and I thought that maybe this was the problem. Can anyone help me out?
    Look at my first post in this thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

I understand that, and I held it in at start up, but I still couldn't figure out how to use items. All of the buttons seemed to be for something else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mode was a needed button for "God Mode" on Doom 32x

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Always thought the problem with Golden Axe II smelled like sloppiness.
    It's been a long time, but my memory is I got that game not very long after it came out, and I had a (then new) 3-button controller at the time. I ran into the "mode" issue first time I tried to play the game.
    Golden Axe II was too late of a game to excuse this issue. I'm surprised Sega let it be released without testing for that problem, as the 6-button was obviously a known thing and at least near release by then.

Maybe it was an older game from Japan, but in that case Sega of America should have tested it and gotten it fixed before it was released in their territory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am almost sure that Toejam and Earl required you to hold it down when you started. When you bought one in the original packaging there was a list of about 4-6 games in which you had to hold down the mode button when starting up or the games would crash. So if anyone has a CIB 6 button pad, a lot can be cleared up.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    I understand that, and I held it in at start up, but I still couldn't figure out how to use items. All of the buttons seemed to be for something else.
    To use items, hold A and push left or right to select the item you want to use. To use it, hold A and push "up" on the D-Pad. That should help.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Ms. Pac-Man also needs the mode button held in at startup in order for the D-Pad to work correctly
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    To use items, hold A and push left or right to select the item you want to use. To use it, hold A and push "up" on the D-Pad. That should help.
    Thanks! That's just what I needed.

Anyway, about the six button controllers and the mode button, I've never seen them crash a game. Even some of the ones you guys are mentioning. My Todd's Adventures in Slime World works fine without using the mode button and TJ&E Panic on Funktron actually can use the top 3 buttons to use items rather having to pause it for them. I just checked now with both games to make sure I wasn't crazy.
    Last edited by Pezcore343; 06-29-2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Just realized you said Toejam and Earl and not Panic on Funkotron. My mistake. But my Slime World still works fine.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Ms. Pac-Man also needs the mode button held in at startup in order for the D-Pad to work correctly
    Ms. Pac-man is a hit-or-miss with the 6-button. With my copy, I have never had to hold down the mode button, and this has been for years, since at one time I only had a 6-button controller and no 3-buttons. But I've heard of others complaining about having to use the Mode button. Maybe some copies are newer and don't have to go into 3-button compatability mode?

I have found another game that needs the Mode button to work fully: Sunset Riders. The game wont recognize controller 2 at the start screen unless you hold down the mode button. Another game that needs mode is DeCapAttack, and that one wont work with the Nomad for this reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In my EA 4-Way Play, with both games I have that support it (NHL '97 and Gauntlet IV), you have to hold down the Mode button on 6-button controllers plugged into the third controller port for them to work. The other three controller ports are fine and don't require it, but the third one does. I don't know if this is just with mine or if this was common with the things...

And yeah, Sunset Riders is fine in 1-player mode, but to play with two you need to hold Mode on player two.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I think a few older games were incompatable with the 6 button controller for one reason or another. I believe the mode button caused it act like a 3 button controller so those games would work. There's a few other newer games that used it as an extra button as well but I can't remember the names of any.
    Yes. Sadly, Decapattack is one of them, and I was never able to get the Mode Button trick to work - had to resort to using my original 3-button controllers instead. It's well worth-it, though, that game is awesome.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamesboro's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Beastech

This is my first post!

I think the problem is that some people don't know you need to hold down the mode button while you are turning on the system. People have said hold it at start up but I think some are confused.

Also, Ms. Pac ABSOLUTELY has to have the mode button held down to play it with the 6 button. I reviewed this at Sega-16 years ago and I had to do this. Once it boots up with the controller in 3 button mode it works just fine.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I am aware of at least 2 different versions of Ms. Pac on Genesis. One of them has yellow letters on top of the cart, the other has pink letters. Don't know if this makes a difference, also don't know if this applies to other regions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamesboro View Post

Also, Ms. Pac ABSOLUTELY has to have the mode button held down to play it with the 6 button. I reviewed this at Sega-16 years ago and I had to do this. Once it boots up with the controller in 3 button mode it works just fine.
    I didn't know that. No wonder this game was almost impossible to control. I just figured I didn't have the knack for it and put it away to never play it again.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can add another game that you need to hold the mode button on start up for:

Out of This World (or at least the Sega CD Heart of the Alien version, never tested the Genesis version)

The game is actually pretty playable if you don't hold it on startup, but you will notice the controls are somewhat strange.. It's been a few years so I forget the specifics. I just recall playing maybe about a quarter of the way through the game before I figured out something was truly amiss. heh Maybe I got stuck at a point because I was unable to perform a certain move that was required there IIRC?

OOTW 2 on the very same Heart of the Alien disc does not have the issue, so no mode button required on startup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really? I've never heard of that. That game came out a good 2 years after the 6-button controller, so they really should've been able to test it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.