Thread: Bangai-O Spirts coming North America(kotaku.com)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Bangai-O Spirts coming North America(kotaku.com)

http://kotaku.com/360780/bangai+o-sp...ming-stateside

D3Publisher of America and Renowned Japanese Developer TREASURE Bring Nintendo DS Game Bangai-O Spirits to North American Markets
    New Sound Load Technology Allows Data Transfer Via Sound Files for the First Time Ever on Nintendo DS Handheld Systems

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--A jewel of a game will cross the Pacific and delight gamers as Bangai-O Spirits was confirmed today for the North American market by D3Publisher of America, Inc., a publisher and developer of interactive entertainment software. Bangai-O Spirits is a compelling blend of twitch-fest shooter and puzzler genres, seasoned with strategic and tactical elements. Developed in the eccentric, much-loved style of TREASURE Co., Ltd., it is a re-imagination of their '90s cult classic game Bangai-O, perfected for the Nintendo DS™ handheld system. Bangai-O Spirits will incorporate a powerful level editor tool, as well as revolutionary new technology known as Sound Load that allows gamers to transfer data among DS systems via sound files--a first for DS handheld systems. The game is scheduled for release in the second quarter of 2008.

"It is an honor to bring a ground-breaking game by a respected developer like TREASURE to North American game enthusiasts," said Yoji Takenaka, chief operating officer, D3PA. "Bangai-O Spirits contains many key elements that define a truly enjoyable videogame--the innovation in both technology and gameplay make this a must-have title for everyone who owns a DS system."

Bangai-O Spirits provides gamers with addictive shooter gameplay, punishing supermoves and a sensory overload of fireworks onscreen, with strategic and tactical elements and TREASURE's quirky design style. The game also offers co-op, competitive multiplayer for 1-4 players via local wireless, a powerful level editor tool which allows players to edit in-game levels or create new ones from scratch, and the revolutionary new ability to transfer data among DS systems through sound data transfer technology known as Sound Load.

Never before utilized for DS systems, the Sound Load technology in Bangai-O Spirits allows players to transfer level data among DS handheld systems via the use of sound and the DS microphone. This technology works by taking the level data and turning it into a sound file which is output through the host DS speaker. This data is then interpreted through the microphone of the recipient DS, and the level transfer is complete!

It is also possible to upload and circulate sound files of level data from Bangai-O Spirits online via the Internet, or to save files to a recording device like a PC or jump drive for transport and distribution, allowing gamers to catalog, share and compare levels online easily with gamers all over the world! Widening the range of play and interaction even further, gamers can also deliver high score and gameplay footage as transferable sound files by using Sound Load. More details about this unique feature will be forthcoming soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I always thought Bangai-O to be one of Treasure's weaker titles. I can't imagine how my eyes are going to follow such a tiny character on the DS screen. The screenshots on IGN seem to confirm my reservations.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh man, can't wait.

This Sound Load tech sounds interesting. I wonder if it could be used for something like a Monster Rancher game?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

This is a must-buy.

Or must trade-for, in my case.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Fuck yes, I love you so much D3. Now just make Onechanbara in the US happen please!

That sound feature is damned interesting too...wonder what the actual audible sound is like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

It's always good to see another "Japanese" game make it's way to the US. I will be getting it to show my support. I only wish it was for the Xbox 360/XBLA too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I bought Bangai-O when it cam out on the DC, and it still gets played constantly.

And I'm sure this game will be a future rarity, judging by how rare the DC version is - the DC's print run was so small, and towards the end of it's lifespan.

Definite purchase, for me... Especially since I haven't bought a DS game in almost a year..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

loved it on the DC. can't wait for the release
    -DJ

My EPIC "For Sale" Thread: CLICKY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome news! It's nice to have another DS game to look forward to.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most unpredictable use of the DS microphone yet. That's just outright awesome. Try and keep me from picking this up. I'll steamroll you.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    It's always good to see another "Japanese" game make it's way to the US. I will be getting it to show my support. I only wish it was for the Xbox 360/XBLA too.
    This. I really dig Bangai-O for the DC and the existence of a sequel is at the very least exciting, but I can't help but remember how tiny your character was and wonder how they'll make the transition to a handheld a decent one. I have faith in Treasure, but unless they drastically reduce the viewing area I doubt it'll be worth straining my eyes over. Here's hoping for the best.