Thread: Championship Bowling (NES)...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Championship Bowling (NES)...

Is it possible to roll a strike in this game? I just found a copy yesterday and I have played through a single-player game 4 times using a 9 pound and 11 pound ball, and I still can't roll a strike at all. Maybe I'm spoiled by bowling on Wii, but it seems impossible.

I've moved my character around a few times on the screen so I'm not always rolling toward the middle, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. Anyway, this is still probably the best 8 bit bowling game I've played.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dougman999's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to play it quite a bit back before SNES came out. I think I threw a couple games in the 200s. So yeah, it's possible. Try starting around the middle and use a hook shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A strike is possible, the problem is the game is programmed to throw you off.

If you throw three strikes in a roll from Frame 1, the 4th shot is ALWAYS going to go faster / curve more than it usually does. It will also do this late in the game. I've bowled high 200s, and never got a 300.

Couldn't figure a way to beat the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually bowled a 300 once in Championship Bowling a looooong time ago. Like Dangerboy said though, the ball speed & spin will change so you gotta roll from different spots in the lane to compensate for it. I remember bowling my first 3 strikes in the same spot (off center to the right a little bit). After that, I'd move over just a hair to the right some more and bowl 2 more from that spot. Then I'd go back to my original position and roll another couple strikes and so on until I got my 300.

If I remember correctly, there were 3 sweet spots on the lane that I could bowl strikes from. It was just a matter of guessing how many strikes you could roll in that spot until it was time to move. It was always just 2 or 3 strikes at a time though.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'm going to try to bowl from the right side of the screen. Sounds crazy, I know, but that might do it.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.