Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Currently stuck in 2004 (PS2 related)

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Default Currently stuck in 2004 (PS2 related)

I usually don't do recommendation threads, but it occurred to me the other day while looking through my small PS2 collection that the last original (in this case, meaning not a sequel or arcade/console comp) game I bought for it was released in 2004: Katamari Damacy.

Between 2004 and 2006 I missed a lot of what was going on with the PS2. I had sold mine, and as such didn't bother to keep up with what was coming out for it at the time. When I finally got a new system in 2006, I didn't bother too much with any new original titles, just the arcade comps and such that I missed. Since there have been so many games released since 2004, I decided to just ask those who would know about them, rather than slog my way through a massive amount of info.

So right now I'm looking for suggestions for any good PS2 titles* to keep an eye out for over the next few years. I'm personally not buying anything for it at the moment, but what with Christmas and my birthday coming up soon, someone might need a gift idea.

* Please don't list any of the following: RPGs, FPS, sports/racing, strategy/tactics/simulations, anything that requires that you be online or takes more than 10 hours to complete. Also: I have played Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Neo Contra, but was not impressed with either of them.

My current collection:

Gradius III & IV
    Gradius V
    Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
    Contra: Shattered Soldier
    Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
    Katamari Damacy
    Crazy Taxi
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Capcom Classics Collection Volume 1
    Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2
    Taito Legends
    Taito Legends 2
    Metal Slug Anthology
    Sega Genesis Collection
    Last edited by Dire 51; 10-25-2007 at 07:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Katamari Damacy was released in 2004, not 2003.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

You've made this tough with your exclusions. But I shall offer some insight.

The Red Star
    God Hand
    We Love Katamari
    Under the Skin
    Okami (might break the 10-hour rule)
    God of War I and II (might break the 10-hour rule)
    Raiden III
    Zone of the Enders 2: The Second Runner
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    Katamari Damacy was released in 2004, not 2003.
    Really? Damn, I must not be awake yet. I'll fix that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    You've made this tough with your exclusions. But I shall offer some insight.

The Red Star
    God Hand
    We Love Katamari
    Under the Skin
    Okami (might break the 10-hour rule)
    God of War I and II (might break the 10-hour rule)
    Raiden III
    Zone of the Enders 2: The Second Runner
    Thanks, Oobgarm. I've been meaning to check out We Love Katamari for a while now: is it better than the first or what?
    Last edited by Dire 51; 10-25-2007 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Kinda. It's really more of the same. You can only do so much with that style of gameplay.

You need to check out Red Star for sure. It's a nice Contra/Bullet Hell hybrid.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I'll keep The Red Star in mind then. Would you say it's better than Neo Contra?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I'd say so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I thought We <3 Katamari really fleshed out the Katamari concept. As cool as Katamari Damacy is, there are basically only three boards in the first game. But YMMV...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just looking for a thread like this the other day, so thanks for posting it. The only "new" games I have are Guitar Hero II and Taito Legends. I'll be watching this thread for recommendations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll second God of War 1 & 2. They will probably take longer than 10 hours, but they shouldn't be missed. The same goes for Shadow of the Colossus. It will take a little while to beat, but it's a pretty original game and one of the best looking for the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I'll second God of War 1 & 2. They will probably take longer than 10 hours, but they shouldn't be missed. The same goes for Shadow of the Colossus. It will take a little while to beat, but it's a pretty original game and one of the best looking for the system.
    Thanks for mentioning Shadow of the Colossus. I somehow forgot about that one.

Absolutely not to be missed. Even though I forgot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Huh? How dare you!... You haven't played Guitar hero? Get it. (If you have a 360 then don't buy guitar hero 2 on PS2, Get it for the 360)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

It's funny to me that half of your collection is compilation games.

It seems you're not actually interested in "modern" games, especially with your exclusion list.

That's perfectly fine, but it seems weird that you're asking for suggestions when you've automatically excluded so many of the excellent titles in the PS2 library.

But, to be constructive, the following titles should be must play games in the PS2 library that any gamer serious about the craft should at least try. Most can be had very cheaply ($19.99 or less).

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus - De facto standard in the games as art movement (at least in terms of mainstream gaming). They're also quite short which would be a plus to you. Platform/Adventure.

Killer 7 - Case for style over substance in gaming. Some hate it, some love it. I think it's brilliant and essential gaming. Rail Shooter/Adventure hybrid game style.

Lumines+ - Best new puzzle game since Puzzle Fighter. Take's Mizuguchi's approach in games like Space Channel 5 and Rez and expands it into the puzzle genre. You can play it on a variety of platforms, but if you haven't played it, this is a good place to start (though I'd argue the PSP original is the best version out there).

We <3 Katamari - Amazingly superior to the original. Loads of new content. Game play is the same, but the concept is taken to even more bizarre and entertaining extremes.

Frequency/Amplitude - Harmonix first forays into console gaming. Amazing soundtracks and very addictive gameplay. Puzzle/Rhythm game.

Disgaea - The most entertaining strategy/rpg I've ever played and certainly the one with the most personality. Pretty much infinitely long if you try to tackle the real last bosses, but can be enjoyed in modest amounts. Strategy/RPG.

Devil May Cry I & III - Invented the stylish action genre and brought action gaming into the 3D world in a very real way. You've got Castlevania: Lament and Rygar. These are the games you should own in their place. Beat-em-up/Action.

God of War I & II - Turned the stylish action (read: Devil May Cry) world on its ear with brutal, visceral gameplay and a well fleshed out world. Must play gaming if only to see where the beat-em-up genre has ended up. Beat-em-up/Action.

God Hand - This is where beat-em-ups would have gone if the silly, over the top stories and characters of the great ones in the 90s hadn't changed into the 3D era. Clover Studios last (last?) game is extremely absurd, extremely hard, and a huge breath of originality in the genre. Beat-em-up/Action.

Viewtiful Joe - Another stylish Capcom beat-em-up, but this one goes in a different direction than the others. Not quite as over the top as God Hand, but visually unique and definitely something people should try. Beat-em-up/Action.

Beyond Good and Evil – An excellent 3D Action/Platformer on it’s own right but what sets this one apart is the scope of the story. Politically aware and still very relevant (maybe even more so), this is a game with a conscious and isn’t something that’s been attempted again in a console game.

Psychonauts – Most charming and original platformer to come out in many years. From the mind of Double Fine and Tim Schafer, playing this equals happiness. Like the best work Disney has done in years with rock solid, awesome platforming.

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 – Yeah it’s an established franchise but it doesn’t mean these games aren’t amazing. Stealth/3D Action.

Odin Sphere - Visual successor to Princess Crown on the Saturn but improved vastly by the newer platform. 2D Beat-em-up/RPG hybrid and entirely unique. Only downside is repetitive play but so unlike anything else out there it's a must play.

Rez - Defining game for Mizuguchi and for console gaming as "art". Music and rail shooting mesh and combine to create something that is more experienced than played. Rail shooter.

Indigo Prophecy - The best case for adventure game revival to come out in quite awhile and certainly the best on the PS2. Very well acted with a top notch production value. Adventure.

Guitar Hero I & II - Everyone should know about these games now. Unadulterated rock bliss. Any fan of music should at least try these games. Music/Rhythm game.

Burnout 3: Takedown - A racing game I've yet to find someone who doesn't enjoy. Crash cars at ridiculous speeds. Unbelievably entertaining. Racing.

Magic Pengel/Graffiti Kingdom – Hard to say these are necessarily essential but I love the concept of the game. Draw a monster and have it fight it out (like Monster Rancher). The sequel, Graffiti Kingdom, added new features and is probably a bit easier to find. Collectible/Battle Game.

Okami - A game so good it took the thunder out of Zelda: Twilight Princess. The best 3D adventure game out of this generation maybe shy of Windwaker (I prefer Windwaker myself) but regardless it’s amazing on every level. Action/Adventure.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it seems like you're not really interested in any good games for the system. But you do seem to be missing Sega Classics Collection, not a bad little collection of remakes, should be right up your alley.

Also, you should invest in a Wii.. seems custom made for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

If I know Dire 51 like I think I know Dire 51, I think he's pressed for time like many older gamers.

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    God Hand - This is where beat-em-ups would have gone if the silly, over the top stories and characters of the great ones in the 90s hadn't changed into the 3D era. Clover Studios last (last?) game is extremely absurd, extremely hard, and a huge breath of originality in the genre. Beat-em-up/Action.
    Your list had quite a few good selections, but I wanted to highlight Godhand.

It has this completely bizarre theme of cheesy American pop culture seen through Japanese eyes. Words can't do this game justice...you have to play it to even remotely understand. The gameplay is essentially just a 3D beat'em up.

Soundtrack, style, and general insanity all get 5 stars. It's the one of the most underrated games of the PS2 generation IMO. If you have a Circuit City nearby, it's currently on clearance for $12.96. A must buy!
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Resident Evil 4 - simply a great game
    Indigo Prophecy is really cool too. All the others mentioned above are really good games.

EDIT: Fatal frame is really entertaining, but it might break the 10 hour rule.
    Last edited by suckerpunch5; 10-25-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'd like to recommend Alien Hominid for PS2. Its a funny little Metal Slug style game but a little more cartoony. Its got a little bit of violence to it but it kinda makes it funnier than gory. I picked up my copy new for $10 at circuit city a while back. I'm sure it can be had just about anywhere for less than $20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by le geek View Post
    If I know Dire 51 like I think I know Dire 51, I think he's pressed for time like many older gamers.

Cheers,
    Ben
    The vast majority of us are. It's a matter of either wanting to game or not.

I'm still very interested in gaming, especially with all the new and exciting places it's going these days. So I make the time to at least sample and experience some of the games that are out there. I'm just always dumbfounded by people who are stil wanting to play the same games they've been playing for the last 10 or even 20 years exclusively when there is such a wealth of gaming greatness that is being released.

That said, I still go back and enjoy a lot of the games that I grew up on and had a major impact on me (or ones that are simply just fun). I can switch between Warlords, Grand Theft Auto: SA, Panic!, flOw, A Boy and His Blob, Every Extend Extra Extreme, and Star Control II at will.

I know it's all very subjective, and I don't mean to preach and dictate how someone should enjoy their video game time, but there's just so much good stuff out there. Why limit yourself; even if you can only enjoy it an hour or a two at a time?

Point being, if you solicit suggestions like this, it's in your best interest to seek out games that are worth the time investment regardless of genre. Pidgeonholing isn't very productive.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    The vast majority of us are. It's a matter of either wanting to game or not.

I'm still very interested in gaming, especially with all the new and exciting places it's going these days. So I make the time to at least sample and experience some of the games that are out there. I'm just always dumbfounded by people who are stil wanting to play the same games they've been playing for the last 10 or even 20 years exclusively when there is such a wealth of gaming greatness that is being released.

That said, I still go back and enjoy a lot of the games that I grew up on and had a major impact on me (or ones that are simply just fun). I can switch between Warlords, Grand Theft Auto: SA, Panic!, flOw, A Boy and His Blob, Every Extend Extra Extreme, and Star Control II at will.

I know it's all very subjective, and I don't mean to preach and dictate how someone should enjoy their video game time, but there's just so much good stuff out there. Why limit yourself; even if you can only enjoy it an hour or a two at a time?

Point being, if you solicit suggestions like this, it's in your best interest to seek out games that are worth the time investment regardless of genre. Pidgeonholing isn't very productive.

Can't argue with that! And I really like your list. Other than adding some RPG's, I would add Guitar Hero (the first one).

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming