Thread: Fun N' Games in Wayne NJ Closing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Actually, there are only 4. 1 Funco, one EB, one GameStop and one Software Etc. (which I think has been re-branded to Game Stop).

(I was just exaggerating for comedic effect.)
    Willowbrook Mall was getting so overrun with video game stores that I actually believed you!

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I went to that Mall Tonight.....Sad to see Fun N' Games closed..the windows were all blacked out.

The doors from inside the mall to get out near the old Fun N' Games were tied off shut..

They closed Kay Bee and the FYE next door it too..

Gamestop on the lower floor still open..Gamestop upstairs still open and Software etc next to the food court(they were all DEAD.

I have no clue why this mall has three gamestores in it,two right near each other...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Wow, one of my childhood/teen years places gone forever

Like you guys, I'm a long time old-school arcade junkie. So I have very strong nostalgic memories of the arcades from my youth, but the Willowbrook Fun N Games is the grandaddy of them all.

The very first arcade game I ever remember playing was there....I remember very clearly my grandfather holding me up so I could see the screen and play 'Indy 500' in all it's glorious black and white graphics. And then riding on his shoulders walking out.

When I got older, my grandparents would get me a game card every year that allowed me four free credits a week on any game in the place. Being that I rarely if ever had any money on me, and we would go to Willowbrook Mall only once a week on a Saturday,this was something that I had to make count. Games that cost 50 cents to play would count for two credits.

I fell in love with my favorite arcade game of all time, Spy Hunter in that place. They used to have four of them in a row against the right wall walking in. A bar-table version of Demolition Derby was in the back at one point next to Donkey Kong. I never cared much for the pinball games, but I did like High Speed and it's sequel.

They were really good at keeping up with the latest releases,even the ones that weren't popular sequels, like Empire Strikes Back and the infamous Spy Hunter II, which really let everyone down. That game just SUCKED out loud and was gone soon.

In 1988, Hard Drivin', the sit down version debuted there....everyone was lined up to see it,and it seemed like the coolest most realistic driving game ever made. I was a little disappointed, the car seemed to drive and accelerate too slow for a Ferrari. Plus it was really easy to fly off the road and explode which pretty much screwed you to make the lap before timing out. Then Race Drivin' replaced it and it became my go-to game for a couple years.

My weekly visits to that place and the mall became more infrequent after I started college. It seemed like the crowd became more and more sleezy and ghetto/inner city punk.... that, or I was just getting older and noticing these things more.

My last visit there was around late summer, early fall. I walked around, maybe played something or other and walked out. Arcade games lost their soul somewhere in the mid-90s. What they gained in graphics and sound they lost in imagination and spirit. On the occasion that I did visit FnGs was more or less out of nostalgia then being really interested in any of what they had to offer.

I can still close my eyes, and go back in time to the mid '80s and see Paperboy facing the side door next to Roadblasters. Rampart was around the bend, always curious what anyone found interesting about that one.
    A good afternoon always started off eating Roy Rogers chicken with my mom and grandparents, and then we'd all part ways so they'd go shopping and I'd head right to the arcade, making up my mind on the way what game I'd use my card with it's precious four credits on.

Thanks for this great forum, no-one else on the internet would be interested in reading things like this!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

While in Boston (Framingham, actually) last week I stopped by an arcade named Fun and Games. Is this related, or a coincidence? They weren't huge, but did have Laser Tag as well as several games and Skee Ball.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy shit I just heard about this from some guys over at www.the-nextlevel.com/board.

I am fucking STUNNED.
    I used to work up 46 in Fairfield and I'd skip out for long lunches there ALL THE TIME, not to mention drag all my friends to movies there just so I could play some games. It was the closest place around for Air Hockey (I am in Paramus) since Sports World bit it. The 3rd Strike action was AWESOME.

Crap. I had the high score on the Ms. Pac Man cab. I used to go there just to watch people play the fighters, and always drop some money into Drummania or Virtua Tennis or Pinball. I think I'm going to fucking cry.

There's just..nothing left around here. 8 on the Break is a pain in the ass to get to AND it kind of sucks. I feel so empty. What the fuck am I going to do.

PLEASE inform me if anyone finds out if they're relocating. Please.
    Also, the Palisades has some fun Laser Tag for small groups, and some air hockey tables in the waiting room along with some other junk games.
    There's also a GREAT laser tag place WAY up 23 north called Laser One that is HUGE, with two floors, and has unlimited tag from 6-11 on thursday nights.

Palisades tag is 8 bucks but on weekdays you get 4 dollars off if you bring a scorecard.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man and I was going to try to write an article on the competitive fighter scene too. I had talked to a few 3rd strike players, there were some really good ones.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anyone knows where to contact the former owner I'd like to do an interview with him, and you could save me some phone calls.