Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy replacement game labels for NES Games?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

yeah ,I have a bunch of these wierd carts with stupid typed labels that say "property of nintendo please return" and like these holes with chips sticking out, i'd love to get some new labels for those.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    yeah ,I have a bunch of these wierd carts with stupid typed labels that say "property of nintendo please return" and like these holes with chips sticking out, i'd love to get some new labels for those.
    LMAO thanks blitz... I needed that!

As long as you repro label everything Bio Force Ape with a big red-rubber-stamp "PROTOTYPE" over the rest of the label everything should be hunky dory.

*poppin in an eBay "find" that just arrived* Wow guys, look! Bio Force Ape is just a SMB/DH clone. They didn't hack it or anything. Lazy bastards.

Seriously, I'd omit the Nintendo Seal of Quality at the least. The crap label art on some games (Mega Man comes to mind) could be changed too. If you're going to re-label it, might as well do it right or at least better.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 09-25-2007 at 02:30 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I'm all for it. But i think that if you go ahead with the project, in addition to a small asterisk or otherwise noticable difference, there should be a 'checkpoint' of sorts.

If a person wants a copy of a label for a high-profile cart, like Stadium Events or another sought-after game, they need to request the label, and you need to provide them with some kind of unique identifier. Open the dictionary and pick a random word. The buyer would then have to write that word on a piece of paper, and take a photo of it with the cart they want to replace the label on. That would cut down on the number of assholes trying to profit off your service, not to mention trying to rip off unsuspecting people.

You could also limit each person to one label per title, and track it in a database or spreadsheet.

I'd really like to see this come to fruitition.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I think it's a terrible idea that shouldn't come to be. I don't mind people that do it for themselves and keep track of what is original and what isn't. But anything more than for yourself I have a problem with.

First off, you would be doing this service and making some (even if nominal) profit off of Nintendo's property. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Regardless, the main problem I have is that it is really just trash you are pasting on your cartridge, tainting the cart with something that shouldn't be there. (RevQuixo said it best in his post). I see it the same as someone losing their Halo game disc and replacing it with a DVD-R backup.

The last thing I want is to have to watch out for and worry about buying games with reproduction labels.

Something I wouldn't mind however, would be completely original labels using new art that didn't resemble the original label, with "reproduction label" in decent sized letters on the label.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Starwander View Post
    I have been considering the idea of making and selling replacement game labels for NES games for some time and have finally started down the road to do it. I was wondering as a whole what the collecting community thinks about such an idea. Basically the replacement labels would be identical to the original labels on the games themselves. They would be of the same quality as well, as they would be indistinguishable to the originals. All you would have to do is simply remove the old label and stick on the new one and basically you have a new, minty looking game. I was thinking of charging about $1.50-$2.00 for a replacement label. Overall I like the idea of being able to take those old games with damaged labels and being able to restore them to new condition, though I wanted to know what other people thought about the idea and if this is something you might buy. I would only be starting with NES, but could do other games down the road if it working out.
    I have my doubts, have you done even one test run yet? Are you using a professional printing facility or your home printer? Are you able to accurately cut the rounded corners? How are you applying the plastic "film" over the labels themselves?

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I think it's a terrible idea that shouldn't come to be. I don't mind people that do it for themselves and keep track of what is original and what isn't. But anything more than for yourself I have a problem with.

First off, you would be doing this service and making some (even if nominal) profit off of Nintendo's property. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Regardless, the main problem I have is that it is really just trash you are pasting on your cartridge, tainting the cart with something that shouldn't be there. (RevQuixo said it best in his post). I see it the same as someone losing their Halo game disc and replacing it with a DVD-R backup.

The last thing I want is to have to watch out for and worry about buying games with reproduction labels.

Something I wouldn't mind however, would be completely original labels using new art that didn't resemble the original label, with "reproduction label" in decent sized letters on the label.
    Again, I doubt he would be able to make a label that would be exactly identical to the original. Any collector would probably be able to tell the difference.

Collectors have been making "reproduced" Intellivision and Jaguar overlays for years. I consider those to be a form of restoration as well. I have never seen one, so I don't know if they are marked as reproductions or not...?

Anyone know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems as though the gaming community as a whole is pretty split over this issue. Though there seems to be some core issues that I should address
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    I have my doubts, have you done even one test run yet? Are you using a professional printing facility or your home printer? Are you able to accurately cut the rounded corners? How are you applying the plastic "film" over the labels themselves?
    To the best of my ability they will be the same, this being said I am having the label artwork professionally digitized and set up for printing. The labels are being custom cut be a professional company down to the mm and yes they have the rounded edges. Plus I plan on using a 4800dpi professional label printer, which companies use to print labels for store products. Although I don’t have a sample, it should look the same, but I can’t say for sure yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    I'm all for it. But i think that if you go ahead with the project, in addition to a small asterisk or otherwise noticeable difference, there should be a 'checkpoint' of sorts.
    If a person wants a copy of a label for a high-profile cart, like Stadium Events or another sought-after game, they need to request the label, and you need to provide them with some kind of unique identifier. Open the dictionary and pick a random word. The buyer would then have to write that word on a piece of paper, and take a photo of it with the cart they want to replace the label on. That would cut down on the number of assholes trying to profit off your service, not to mention trying to rip off unsuspecting people.
    You could also limit each person to one label per title, and track it in a database or spreadsheet.
    I'd really like to see this come to fruitation.
    It seems that most people are against this idea because of this issue. I wouldn’t be making any reproduction labels for any high valued games. At most I would be targeting games like SMB3 and such, which have both enough value to justify the expensive of a new label, though wouldn’t really damage the market as a whole since they are not high value items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    LMAO thanks blitz... I needed that!
    As long as you repro label everything Bio Force Ape with a big red-rubber-stamp "PROTOTYPE" over the rest of the label everything should be hunky dory.
    *poppin in an eBay "find" that just arrived* Wow guys, look! Bio Force Ape is just a SMB/DH clone. They didn't hack it or anything. Lazy bastards.
    Seriously, I'd omit the Nintendo Seal of Quality at the least. The crap label art on some games (Mega Man comes to mind) could be changed too. If you're going to re-label it, might as well do it right or at least better.
    I absolutely would not make any type of labels that misrepresented a product such as a prototype label.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Can you do SNES Labels, I have some with Bad or No Labels
    Yes this is possible in the future.

So this leaves a couple of unanswered questions and positions. I am hesitant to put any type of mention of reproduction on the labels since, although this would be in line with the hard core collectors. The majority of people who play and collect games might be put off by this. I do like the idea of admitting certain features like the Nintendo Seal or what not as a way of identifying these labels.

I also like the idea of custom artwork and would be happy to work with anyone with this. I am neither an artist nor a professional designer so this is outside of my league, but if somebody would like to collaborate with me on making custom labels I would be happy to work with them. I think it would be outstanding to give collectors an opportunity to come up with some original artwork for NES games.

I think to start off and to avoid this whole reproduction issue my first label will be far different than the original label. It will be for SMB3. This being said perhaps I can work out a system that can work towards both sides of the argument.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Little Samson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think to start off and to avoid this whole reproduction issue my first label will be far different than the original label. It will be for SMB3. This being said perhaps I can work out a system that can work towards both sides of the argument.
    If so, I might suggest putting Tanooki Mario on the label instead of Racoon Mario. It'd still be an iconic graphic for the game, but it would be easily distinguishable. Besides, Tanooki Mario's the best suit! (not counting Kuribo's shoe)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You may want to look into the legality of what you're doing. Nintendo still owns the copyrights for most NES/SNES games, as well as the trademark of the "Official Nintendo Seal".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    Good questions. The ultimate would be to have the (original printing company, or have access to original die's?, or whatever means that they used to make them in the first place)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a few games that I plan on keeping, which have bad labels that I would love to replace. I personally don't like getting rid of games because they have bad labels. Well, I'm in for at least 3 or so if you ever get this off the ground. Good Luck.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nescollector View Post
    I think it's an amazing Idea. I've always wished someone (like Nintendo) would offer new boxes, and manuals for every Nes games made. I think they would sell pretty good.

I agree, they would have to be perfect reproductions of the originals.
    That is not feasible or desirable...and it would pretty much kill NES collecting as a hobby. There's a reason people pay money for CIB games.

Nintendo did offer new replacement NES manuals for years until their supply ran out...just like R.O.B. parts and everything else. They ran out and that's it.

It seems as though the gaming community as a whole is pretty split over this issue.
    Yeah...anybody who has any decent amount of money invested in their collection is going to be against it, and anyone who doesn't will likely be for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nescollector View Post
    Good questions. The ultimate would be to have the (original printing company, or have access to original die's?, or whatever means that they used to make them in the first place)
    Right...if you could even manage to find out who printed the labels in the first place, do you really think the printing company wouldn't alert Nintendo to what you were doing?

In any event, whether collectors are against this or not, I really can't see any way that printing high quality repro labels would be cost-effective...if you need one so bad, just buy a better cart.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NOOOOOO!!!
    NOOOOOO!!!
    NOOOOOO!!!

Are you crazy or what!!! Say NO to repro labels, box or instruction booklets!!!

WE ARE COLLECTORS. I don't love the label I LOVE ORIGINAL LABELS from 90s.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really, but you get the point.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by neogamer View Post
    Restoration kills value.
    If you collect anything-stamps, baseball cards, even video games-solely for the monetary value, you are an asshat.

Speaking as someone who has a small stable of animation cels (all from He-Man and She-Ra, mind you, but it's a start), I consider restorations to be valuable when performed by a knowledgeable individual. The animation art and general art communities see restoration as a positive thing, as does the film community.

For video games, restoration applies largely to the media itself, since the data has been largely (and notoriously) preserved for all time on the Internet. Labels, contacts, the surfaces of discs....these all should be preserved first, and restored second in the event that they've been damaged. If you're more concerned about the value of your damn collection than preserving the games themselves, then I pity you.
    Last edited by GarrettCRW; 09-26-2007 at 06:29 AM.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    If you collect anything-stamps, baseball cards, even video games-solely for the monetary value, you are an asshat.

Speaking as someone who has a small stable of animation cels (all from He-Man and She-Ra, mind you, but it's a start), I consider restorations to be valuable when performed by a knowledgeable individual. The animation art and general art communities see restoration as a positive thing, as does the film community.

For video games, restoration applies largely to the media itself, since the data has been largely (and notoriously) preserved for all time on the Internet. Labels, contacts, the surfaces of discs....these all should be preserved first, and restored second in the event that they've been damaged. If you're more concerned about the value of your damn collection than preserving the games themselves, then I pity you.
    You might want to research how the comic book community views restoration, as that was my original example, not any other form of "art". Comic book collectors have been "burned" by collecting "restored" books by uncanny dealers selling them as "unrestored". The value is lower for restored books, as is demand.

As for value, yes, as a collector, I care about the value of my collection! I don't know how you collect(?) If you buy games just to be able to play them, than you are less likely to equate value to your collection. However, when I pay $100+ for Radiant Silvergun, I do expect it to keep some (not always all) of its value. I would also expect that a lot of the people on these forums feel the same way, so you must have a lot of pity ready to go around!

You are aware you are on a site that sells collectors guides for video games. Value and condition have been hotbeds for debate on this subject matter and I do understand that. The same thing happend with stamps, toys, coins, and yes, comic books!

Any thoughts? Does anyone else care about the value of what they collect? If you don't let me know. If this "thread" goes into another direction, I will gladly start a new "thread" on the subject!
    Last edited by neogamer; 09-26-2007 at 08:10 AM.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

It seems that most people are against this idea because of this issue. I wouldn’t be making any reproduction labels for any high valued games. At most I would be targeting games like SMB3 and such, which have both enough value to justify the expensive of a new label, though wouldn’t really damage the market as a whole since they are not high value items.
    Then, honestly, you're wasting your time. People, especially those who are very concerned about the condition of their items, are (more often than not) able to secure another copy for close to what you'd be asking for a new label.

Besides, you could take out the Nintendo seal of quality and replace it with something, a dead giveaway for a repro.

Also, would you be running 4-color process on these labels? Without it, they're not going to look all that great(coming from someone who works with printing every day).
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I think the market is telling you that it's not a good idea. If people will only accept it with a watermark or some kind of distinguishing characteristic then you've defeated the purpose of the new label. What they're saying is that yes they wouldn't mind a new label, but no you can't make it exactly like the original. Then you're stuck making labels that are similar to the original and I think that's where some people might lose interest in an impulse purchase.

BUT....you could do good business with retro game shops, maybe. Just something to throw on average titles to make them look better. Or maybe people will buy the stickers to collect.
    Thanks,
    Eric

info@japan-games.com
    eBay: Japan-Games

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Then, honestly, you're wasting your time. People, especially those who are very concerned about the condition of their items, are (more often than not) able to secure another copy for close to what you'd be asking for a new label.

Besides, you could take out the Nintendo seal of quality and replace it with something, a dead giveaway for a repro.

Also, would you be running 4-color process on these labels? Without it, they're not going to look all that great(coming from someone who works with printing every day).
    Again, I have to ask:

Would he even be able to make labels that exactly resemble the originals? I highly doubt this is possible. Maybe you can answer this question, please?

If I find a game with a "reproduced" label on it, I know I would not even consider buying it. That's just my opinion...keep in mind I am fully active and aware of how third party grading and resto practices started in other areas and it started out a lot like this...

In coins it was cleaning: "Hey, I can clean this and get a lot more for it!"

In comics it was "pressing" and "restoration" that any trained eye can see (except for pressing, which can be hard to detect - thank you CGC)

Both these things effect value, when that happens, debates start...

I'm sorry, but part of collecting anthing has to do with money, like it or not. I think this (replacement labels of any kind) is a bad idea on all fronts and will pave the way for "connies" and the like to attempt to sell MINT copies of rare games on ebay...that is assuming you can make the labels (and would want to) exactly like the original!
    Last edited by neogamer; 09-26-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'd be fine with exact reproductions because I'm a gaming collector (collect to play), but I'm not so selfish as to disregard the view of other more "hardcore" collectors, so some kind of small distinguishing mark would also be fine to me.