Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Texas Digital Press Members Roll Call!

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Official Texas Digital Press Members Roll Call!

There's a lot of Texans on this board and it's about time we gather our resources and put something together!

We can meet centrally, ie, Austin for anything. There's several good gaming shops there and last I heard some kind of big gaming related convention(s) that also take place.

Not only that, but this thread will allow Texan DPer's to meet in their own areas if desired!

So, if you're Texas and more than jealous of everyone in Jersey having all the fun, post a shout out here and we'll try to make something happen!

*Mods, I know there are some older Texas threads but they are a couple of years old and very disorganised! Please don't lock this one!*
    Last edited by Damaramu; 08-04-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great idea, but Texas is a big state!
    What kind of meeting are you talking about? Possibly some fun multiplayer game competition, with food and drinks?
    Or a full-fledged Show/Expo that has vendors? (Which will require quite a bit of planning.)
    Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Imstarryeyed's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Checking in here.. Marco at Play Again Classic Video Games here in Corpus Christi TX. If DP'ers need a store to meet and the ocean is a destination then I am your person for that! In addition I would like to also host events in my store for DP'ers as well! Come on there has to be people wanting Anime Night, Retro & Modern Game Competitions and Cosplay events?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DP Texas

Count me in, even though I am gradually dismantling my collection.
    47 years young ---
    Favorite game genres: 2D games, classic/puzzle, golfing games. No longer collecting games...

My Feedback:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81369

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Definitely the fun multiplayer thing with food/drinks...even buying/selling/trading! I'm hoping we can also get people together for anything cool that floats into Texas!

Yup, big state! That's why I was thinking Austin might be a good central location for everyone! Of course, it's always open for suggestion and ideas!

I can't wait for all this to get off the ground! It's been a long time coming!

Quote Originally Posted by purenergy View Post
    Great idea, but Texas is a big state!
    What kind of meeting are you talking about? Possibly some fun multiplayer game competition, with food and drinks?
    Or a full-fledged Show/Expo that has vendors? (Which will require quite a bit of planning.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Absolutely! Some friend and I are planning to visit your store in the near future! We definitely have to get something going!

Quote Originally Posted by Imstarryeyed View Post
    Checking in here.. Marco at Play Again Classic Video Games here in Corpus Christi TX. If DP'ers need a store to meet and the ocean is a destination then I am your person for that! In addition I would like to also host events in my store for DP'ers as well! Come on there has to be people wanting Anime Night, Retro & Modern Game Competitions and Cosplay events?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yo...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though you fellers are closer than Jersey, Texas is a big state. The other side might as well be Jersey. I live in Odessa.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm usually in Austin, Texas, and I'm a classic gamer I'm not going to be back in town until September... I actually hosted a gaming get-together that drew people from around the state back in 1996 or 1997.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Houston, we have a problem... I know there's at least half a dozen of us here... so why don't we ever hang out? why don't we have our own gaming event? I know there's some kind of classic gaming event in Austin... I think it might be combined with some kind of board gaming event, but they have an event... DFW has gaming tournaments all the time, including a pro gaming event... sure most of what DFW has is just FPS frag fests, but at least they have events... and then there's Houston... bigger than DFW, and yet completely devoid of events... despite the fact that we have plenty of places to hang out and have an event!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, from what I gather there is a fairly large tournament based fighting game crowd here in Houston. Most of them post on the Shoryuken forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Checkin' in from Dallas... I wouldn't mind going down to Austin for a game expo. It all depends on my idiot boss letting me off for that day or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another Dallasite checking in. I'd love to see something like AGE come around again, or even just getting together to swap stuff.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hell, all us H-Towners should all gather at D&B some night and PWN the place.
    "You give our position away one more time. I bleed you. Real quiet. And leave you here. Got that?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I perfer Dallas or Houston for a meet. I'm no fan of Austin. I'd say local meet ups would be a good start and then decide on anything formal like a large meet that involves a hotel or a convention hall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm not a big fan of Houston, mainly because it seems they never stop doing construction on the roads. Every time I go through, there's always work being done. I-45 suddenly goes from four lanes merging down to a bike path or something. But if Houston is the most convenient location, I can put aside my bloodthirsty, blinding road rage. Besides, Houston's only something like two hours from Sulphur, Louisiana, my birthplace, so it would be pretty dang sweet to be able to drive over there after an expo and stay at my uncle's house for the night, and load up on Cajun food.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Travel ability is rather limited, especially when it comes to trips that span more than a single day. If us Houston area folk want to tear it up around town once and awhile... I'm game.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Houston, mainly because it seems they never stop doing construction on the roads. Every time I go through, there's always work being done. I-45 suddenly goes from four lanes merging down to a bike path or something.
    It's funny 'cause it's true.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-05-2007 at 05:17 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default the wheels are turning here

just a thought towards DP in general, it would be interesting to make something officially sanctioned and have a few representatives set up a DP.com booth in a convention or something. like a smaller version of Marco's Corpus store for retro gaming. DP could supply advertising material but keep a royalty or something. Get's the word out in another way.
    "You give our position away one more time. I bleed you. Real quiet. And leave you here. Got that?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Shouting out from Austin.

Regarding what city to have a Texas-event in: Since I live in Austin, obviously Austin would be most convenient for me, but if I can tolerate a trip to Las Vegas for the sake of videogames, I can certainly make it to almost anywhere in Texas that is convenient/attractive to most of the TXDPers concerned.

Can the originator of this topic turn it into a poll consisting of a few medium to big TX cities and we can vote in it to get a sense of how we're distributed? I'm thinking it would be between: San Antonio, Austin, Dallas/Foat Wuth, Houston, Corpus Christi, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, El Paso, Amarillo and any other population center I'm forgetting.

One advantage of having an expo-like event NOT in SA, Austin or Houston, but rather in Dallas, is the chance of having people from outside our state come to it . . . if that's what we want . . . 'cause people from outside of Texas tend to talk funny and that makes them hard to understand.

Personally, I'd be happy with semi-regular meetups jumping around from city to city every quarter or so. Once every few months we declare a swap meet to be taking place and we haul our stuff to the city of the quarter/half-year.

Here in Austin, I think it would be awesome to have another videogame tournament at the Alamo Drafthouse. There's just something unique about playing 2600 Pac-man on a huge movie-screen. . .horrible? Absolutely, but still pretty unique.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

San Antonio DP'er ready to roll!