Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Texas Digital Press Members Roll Call!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Official Texas Digital Press Members Roll Call!

There's a lot of Texans on this board and it's about time we gather our resources and put something together!

We can meet centrally, ie, Austin for anything. There's several good gaming shops there and last I heard some kind of big gaming related convention(s) that also take place.

Not only that, but this thread will allow Texan DPer's to meet in their own areas if desired!

So, if you're Texas and more than jealous of everyone in Jersey having all the fun, post a shout out here and we'll try to make something happen!

*Mods, I know there are some older Texas threads but they are a couple of years old and very disorganised! Please don't lock this one!*
    Last edited by Damaramu; 08-04-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great idea, but Texas is a big state!
    What kind of meeting are you talking about? Possibly some fun multiplayer game competition, with food and drinks?
    Or a full-fledged Show/Expo that has vendors? (Which will require quite a bit of planning.)
    Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Definitely the fun multiplayer thing with food/drinks...even buying/selling/trading! I'm hoping we can also get people together for anything cool that floats into Texas!

Yup, big state! That's why I was thinking Austin might be a good central location for everyone! Of course, it's always open for suggestion and ideas!

I can't wait for all this to get off the ground! It's been a long time coming!

Quote Originally Posted by purenergy View Post
    Great idea, but Texas is a big state!
    What kind of meeting are you talking about? Possibly some fun multiplayer game competition, with food and drinks?
    Or a full-fledged Show/Expo that has vendors? (Which will require quite a bit of planning.)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Imstarryeyed's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Checking in here.. Marco at Play Again Classic Video Games here in Corpus Christi TX. If DP'ers need a store to meet and the ocean is a destination then I am your person for that! In addition I would like to also host events in my store for DP'ers as well! Come on there has to be people wanting Anime Night, Retro & Modern Game Competitions and Cosplay events?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DP Texas

Count me in, even though I am gradually dismantling my collection.
    47 years young ---
    Favorite game genres: 2D games, classic/puzzle, golfing games. No longer collecting games...

My Feedback:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81369

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though you fellers are closer than Jersey, Texas is a big state. The other side might as well be Jersey. I live in Odessa.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm usually in Austin, Texas, and I'm a classic gamer I'm not going to be back in town until September... I actually hosted a gaming get-together that drew people from around the state back in 1996 or 1997.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Houston, we have a problem... I know there's at least half a dozen of us here... so why don't we ever hang out? why don't we have our own gaming event? I know there's some kind of classic gaming event in Austin... I think it might be combined with some kind of board gaming event, but they have an event... DFW has gaming tournaments all the time, including a pro gaming event... sure most of what DFW has is just FPS frag fests, but at least they have events... and then there's Houston... bigger than DFW, and yet completely devoid of events... despite the fact that we have plenty of places to hang out and have an event!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Absolutely! Some friend and I are planning to visit your store in the near future! We definitely have to get something going!

Quote Originally Posted by Imstarryeyed View Post
    Checking in here.. Marco at Play Again Classic Video Games here in Corpus Christi TX. If DP'ers need a store to meet and the ocean is a destination then I am your person for that! In addition I would like to also host events in my store for DP'ers as well! Come on there has to be people wanting Anime Night, Retro & Modern Game Competitions and Cosplay events?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yo...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Dallas/Fort Worth Area

On Saturday August 25th, I'll be appearing at Lone Star Comics in Hurst, Texas, from 1-3 p.m. I’ll have copies of my book, Classic Home Video Games, 1972-1984, on hand, so feel free to come by and purchase a copy--I’ll be happy to sign it for you. Or, you can stop in and simply say hello. I’d love to see you there.

Lone Star Comics
    931 Melbourne Road
    Hurst, TX 76053
    817-595-4375

Brett Weiss

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be down for a swap meet, I've got boxes of extras and heavy stuff! Tell me when and where, I'm in north Austin (by Fry's)
    It would be faster to tell you what games I don't have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    On Saturday August 25th, I'll be appearing at Lone Star Comics in Hurst, Texas, from 1-3 p.m. I’ll have copies of my book, Classic Home Video Games, 1972-1984, on hand, so feel free to come by and purchase a copy--I’ll be happy to sign it for you. Or, you can stop in and simply say hello. I’d love to see you there.

Lone Star Comics
    931 Melbourne Road
    Hurst, TX 76053
    817-595-4375

Brett Weiss

Damn. I didn't get off work on Saturday until 4pm. I'm planning on doing some thrifting around Hurst tomorrow, I'll try to hit Lone Star and pick up the book.

Incidentally, I believe that the store one slot down from Lone Star used to be an Atari store called Megabyte Computers. They started out during the 8-bit period all the way through to the Falcon 030, but ended up going out of business around the Jaguar era. My best friend used to work there. I always get a little sad when I drive past it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Incidentally, I believe that the store one slot down from Lone Star used to be an Atari store called Megabyte Computers. They started out during the 8-bit period all the way through to the Falcon 030, but ended up going out of business around the Jaguar era. My best friend used to work there. I always get a little sad when I drive past it.
    IIRC, that would be the store I bought my 1040 STFM. Sounds like the right area, but it's been awhile. Heh, I went in their to get a replacement for my 1050 Drive, and ended up leaving with a full ST system setup.

Man is a gaming animal. He must always be trying to get the better in something or other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Well, I went by Lone Star Comics to pick up a copy of your book, and was pretty disappointed that you hadn't left any copies there for purchase. I did pick up one of the mail order flyers, though.

By the way, Brett, it says you used to own a comic book store. Which one? I might have visited it back in the day when I was a big comic collector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Well, I went by Lone Star Comics to pick up a copy of your book, and was pretty disappointed that you hadn't left any copies there for purchase. I did pick up one of the mail order flyers, though.

By the way, Brett, it says you used to own a comic book store. Which one? I might have visited it back in the day when I was a big comic collector.
    Sorry there were no copies of the book at the store, Steve, but they don't officially carry it (McFarland only gives booksellers a 20% discount, so the owner of Lone Star chose not to actually carry the book. He was, however, gracious enough to let me bring my own copies).

I'll be doing another autographing at Lone Star Comics in Arlington, TX, on Sept. 8th from 1-3. The store is at 504 East Abram St., and their phone number is: 817-265-0491.

I was the co-owner of Fantastic Comics & Cards, which had a store in south Fort Worth and one in North Richland Hills.

Best,

Brett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Asteroids in Texas

I recently visited a small arcade in Roanoke, Texas, which is just outside of Fort Worth. It was home to Asteroids, Ms. Pac-Man, and Millipede and is next door to Babe's Chicken. For pictures and the full story, click on the following:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Outside of Dave & Buster's do ya'll know of any good arcades in the Houston area? Any places with good old fashioned stand up coin-ops (as opposed to the environmental games found at D&B or the Edwards Cinema)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, there is Jillian's (which is essentially D&B's) off of I-10 in the big Marq*E plaza. There's also a Tilt arcade in the Galleria mall (in the food court)...and another one in Memorial City Mall (not sure if that was a Tilt or not).

West Oaks mall near Westheimer and Highway 6 has an arcade, I believe. I remember it being rather puny.

And, IIRC, there's an arcade that caters to the fighting game crowd (it's a newer one, and not the one that closed down a few years ago). The name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

After being a lurker on DP for about 3 1/2 years, I finally decided to register and speak up! I'm in the Dallas area and would love to have an event to attend.