Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wii: "If you see one, buy it." I call BS

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that an artificial shortage makes no business sense. It may help increase demand, but I think the ebay effect would hurt them more than the shortage would help them. Think about it, for everyone that buys a wii off ebay, that's $100-$150 less that they have to give Nintendo for extra wiimotes and games.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crivit View Post
    I agree that an artificial shortage makes no business sense. It may help increase demand, but I think the ebay effect would hurt them more than the shortage would help them. Think about it, for everyone that buys a wii off ebay, that's $100-$150 less that they have to give Nintendo for extra wiimotes and games.
    Not necessarily. It's not like Nintendo "lost" a customer-just ownership was shifted. If the person just bought a stock Wii (no extras like remotes and such) it's likely they will purchase more accessories after their wallet recovers from the amount they paid on eBay.

The eBay effect also gives Nintendo a bit of free publicity. Can't find them on store shelves, decks selling on eBay for more than retail. The news about the Wii's scarcity and high auction sales can nudge people who weren't really interested in video games into investigating further to find out what's so dang special about this contraption. Why would people of practically all walks of life scramble for this...toy?

The shortages keeps the Wii in the news and in turn in the minds of potential customers.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    dude. its like that with everyone. if its a seller... it sells out... there arent anymore in stores. dur.

with game consoles beign the single best selling device or item in the world, wtf do you expect. if Canon had to produce their newest camera to meet those demands, theyd be short too.
    Not really if things sellout for a period yeah but nintendo takes things to the extreme. They create artificial hype by resistricting the flow of the product so people think that even though it is a seller it must be a blockbuster because no one has it in stock. Then emotionally people are compelled to go on a mad hunt to get one.

They can play this game because the ps3 can't be a threat because of its price tag. But I will bet the farm if the ps3 announced a price drop to 350.00 you would find a shitload of wii's everywhere in stock and for sale. In this day and age I find it rediculous that they made an announcement in july that there will be shortages come christmas.
    neo geo system

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Not really if things sellout for a period yeah but nintendo takes things to the extreme. They create artificial hype by resistricting the flow of the product so people think that even though it is a seller it must be a blockbuster because no one has it in stock. Then emotionally people are compelled to go on a mad hunt to get one.

They can play this game because the ps3 can't be a threat because of its price tag. But I will bet the farm if the ps3 announced a price drop to 350.00 you would find a shitload of wii's everywhere in stock and for sale. In this day and age I find it rediculous that they made an announcement in july that there will be shortages come christmas.
    C'mon now. July is a slow period. Normally companies with heavy seasonal demand like vg co's build inventory in slow periods. If they didn't build inventory in July they wouldn't be able to produce enough in November/December to keep up with demand.

If you're selling so many GD wii's in June/July/Aug/Sep that you have zero in inventory, you already know that you're not going to have enough around in December if demand picks up as you expect it to in the christmas season. If you're already selling them as fast as you can make them in summer you don't have a hope of keeping up at christmastime.

Not everything is a conspiracy, people!
    Last edited by Bronty-2; 07-17-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that I've never seen a Wii on store shelves, either. The only reason I got mine on launch day was because the guy working at our local Game Crazy knows me and held one for me. They weren't doing pre-orders.

My brother works at Wal-Mart, and he tells me that everytime Wiis come in, and they get like 15-20 of them usually, there will be people lined up in electronics before they even put them out on the shelf. Usually more people than they have Wiis for.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Hokey smokes-I just saw 5 Wiis at the local Wal-Mart. First time since launch I saw that.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2 View Post
    C'mon now. July is a slow period. Normally companies with heavy seasonal demand like vg co's build inventory in slow periods. If they didn't build inventory in July they wouldn't be able to produce enough in November/December to keep up with demand.

If you're selling so many GD wii's in June/July/Aug/Sep that you have zero in inventory, you already know that you're not going to have enough around in December if demand picks up as you expect it to in the christmas season. If you're already selling them as fast as you can make them in summer you don't have a hope of keeping up at christmastime.

Not everything is a conspiracy, people!
    I have been dealing with nintendo for over 23 years and there tactics when there in front are still the same. Some companies limit supply that is a known fact. It should come as no suprise that nintendo would do this but then again.

Xbox had the tree cores ps3 had the blue ray diodes that were hard to find. Whats the wiis problem?

The wii is a well made machine with cheap easy to produce everyday parts.
    Its funny when the gamecube frenzy launched they had ample supply to cover the launch and the next few months. Everything isn't a conspriacy but you can't take everything being told to you as fact either.
    neo geo system

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everything isn't a conspriacy but you can't take everything being told to you as fact either.
    It's that very reason why I place zero-faith in all these Wiigate theories.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its funny when the gamecube frenzy launched they had ample supply to cover the launch and the next few months.
    Gamecube never sold anywhere close to what Wii is selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.