Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Price Infamy ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What Price Infamy ?

Sure -- we all know Steve Jobs wanted to [and rightly so] conquer the business world, trying to dissuade any idea even the remotely connecting the APPLE Macintosh computer with intertainment -- making the notion that the machine's not a viable platform for gaming.

So the "AMIGA" & "ATARI ST" took the spotlight.

Nevertheless, it is the world's first 16-bit system, more than capable of running Golden Age software -- including flatshaded 3D polygonal graphics.

Do you guys think "Game Machine" when you hear "classic APPLE Macintosh computers" ?

Later!

By the way, I kinda/sorta bought up the subject before lol > "Classic Black & White Macintosh Computer Gaming"
    CLICK > "paisleyATOM" -- Your Source For 68000 Apple Computer Entertainment

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I don't. I find a bunch of games for Apple ][ machines at flea markets, but they're mostly text adventures or such. Nothing with fancy graphics... unless they're Sierra games.

I've always thought of Apple computers as more work-oriented instead of gaming oriented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for nothing else, the mac did push the market toward using a mouse for standard input. its just hard to think of it as a hardcore gaming machine since it only had a black and white screeen.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What Price Infamy ?

Quote Originally Posted by CaryMG
    Do you guys think "Game Machine" when you hear "classic APPLE Macintosh computers" ?
    Never.

But when I hear C64 or Atari 8-Bit computers, I only think "game machine."
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper
    I don't. I find a bunch of games for Apple ][ machines at flea markets, but they're mostly text adventures or such. Nothing with fancy graphics... unless they're Sierra games.

I've always thought of Apple computers as more work-oriented instead of gaming oriented.
    the apple ][ was the first home computer that was desinged wtih gaming in mind, youre getting the two mixed up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, the classic apple Macintosh (or even the current one) is not a game machine. I grew up with a Mac in the house or in my room from 1985 to 2000 with only a short break until 2003 when I got one of the sexy OS X powerbooks. I have fond memories of games played on the Mac, but I won't kid myself - I was quite often jealous of all the games friends had on their PCs. Apple has never seriously supported gaming on the Mac - even when they had "evangelists" telling everyone that Apple was now going to get so many games for the Mac, they still weren't giving anything to developers.

That said, there were some great games on the Mac. Some were ports, but often, because of the higher resolution on the Mac, even the black and white graphics looked better than the PC version (SimCity and Prince of Persia come to mind). And there were several great Mac-first or Mac-only games: The ICOM point-and-click adventures (Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Uninvited), Crystal Quest, Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle, The Fool's Errand and 3-in-Three, Myst, the Marathon Trilogy.

This all leads me to wonder - has anyone here ever done a Top 20 Mac games list (or maybe a Top 10 Mac-first/only games list?)
    "Dost thou love me?" "No" "But thou must!"

My Video Game Journal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CAPITAL Suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog
    This all leads me to wonder
    has anyone here ever done a Top 20 Mac games list (or maybe a Top 10 Mac-first/only games list?)
    What an excellent idea!

I'll start thinking of some stuff ....

Later!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: What Price Infamy ?

There's a handful of great games for the ol' Mac...but I'll be damned if I can actually find a machine that'll run them properly. In the OS 7.6.1 era you had crap like the early Performa machines.

If I had to choose, I'd stick with the x68000. But I don't, so there's room for the Mac!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I really think of for Apple gaming is Oregon Trail and Number Munchers in elementary school computer class on the Apple IIe. And this game where you were a fish, and each round you were a different species of fish like rainbow trout or salmon, and there'd be another fish or some kelp or something and you'd have to choose whether you'd swim down or to the opposite side of the screen or run away, and then the consequences of the choice would earn or cost you points. Like if I decided to eat the kelp, it would either say that you enjoyed it or if it was disgusting or if there was a hook hidden there and you got caught by a fisherman, or if you got caught by a predator bird, or if a bigger fish ate you, etc. The title had Lake or Pond in it I think.
    But that's my only association with Apple gaming, educational games from my elementary school days. I've always been more of a console gamer than a PC gamer anyway. I mean PCs - and Macs despite the lack of games - make great gaming machines due to superior graphic, audio and processing ability, but it's not dedicated to gaming the way a console is. But someone earlier in the thread had a point, back in the 80s Apple was the work computer and Commodore was the game computer, or something like that. Things are changing today. The PC gaming population is massive and continuing to grow and now Sony and Microsoft are trying to make their consoles act more like computers. I dunno, my only other association w/Apple besides the IIe in elementary school and the mid-90s era Macs in middle and high are the latest iMacs at Berklee and the music programs that are either Mac-exclusive or run best on Mac such as Digital Performer, Finale, Sibelius and Garage Band; and my friend Chris' Mac, which is edited his own movie on. And that's what impresses me about Macs, not the gaming abilities. But that's just me, and some other people.
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Top 5 APPLE Macintosh Computer Only B&W Games

This all leads me to wonder -- has anyone here ever done a Top 20 Mac games list (or maybe a Top 10 Mac-first/only games list?)
    Here they are ....
    Well -- the "Top 5", anyway lol

1] "The Fool's Errand"
    Click These To Play
    "The Fool's Errand" > APPLE "Macintosh" Computers Version
    "The Fool's Errand" > "MS-DOS" Version
    [The "MS-DOS" Version Is A Later Addition]

2] "Uninvited"
    Click Here To Play > "Uninvited" "MS-DOS" Version
    [The "MS-DOS" Version Is A Later Addition]

3] "Trust & Betrayal"

4] "Dark Castle"

5] "Fokker Triplane"

Later!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

GameSlaveGaz, the game you are trying to remember the name of it Odell Lake.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

I think of mac gaming as the "Other" world as far as computer games went. We never really had a computer until about '96, and then we had a Gateway 2000 (with a blazing 166 pentium and a 28.8 modem!). However, my cousins were always mac people, through system seven, at ease, the whole shebang. I always wanted to play those great looking text and graphical adventure games.

Oddly enough, when I think of macintosh gaming I think Dinopark tycoon. does anyone at all remember that game? I used to love it! Now these days we're a Mac family, with my Dad having an iBook, and the "Family" having a G4 eMac. (Come on tax return, Earl wants a powerbook/macbook profor his junior year... he wants to do college with portable prowess.)

Anyway, after thast long winded post, what kind of classic emulatiors are there to run really old programs?
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always had a hard time liking macs, but it's just pure personal bias. When I was a kid, I had an A2600, and later a C128. I used that C128 all through high school and my first year in college as my gaming center and wordprocessor (I had to make do with the GEOS suite to do all my high school reports). We didn't have any money for a "real" computer like an XT/AT -- and certainly not a mac.

Problem was, I went to a school with people who had alot of money -- so alot of them had macs, and were pretty damn snobby about it. So I learned to hate those mac users Alot of my friends used their Apple IIe's and IIc's for gaming, and I played on their machines quite a bit. But a mac? No way.

Now that I am older and can afford to buy whatever I want I still find myself biased against macs, even though I like their design and I like OSX. It's purely irrational.

So, long story short, I don't think anything but hate when I think of a classic mac -- and I sure don't think game machine

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ended up picking up several older mac laptops just so I could play some of these older mac games that have been mentioned.

There is something about great about old, simple, 100kb (or less) mac games in their self-contained exe's that clunky older PC games can't seem to duplicate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Apple went out of their way to make sure all gaming was done on Apple Computers, not Macs, back when the two were seperate entities. The Mac has suffered as a gaming platform ever since.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

at first i thought this was a trick question about City of Villains since the currency used is Infamy....
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i dont know if a b/w version was made, but glider pro was a great little game.

i actually had it running on a 22-in cinema display, and you could see nearly the entire house

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default APPLE Classic "Macintosh" Computer Emulator For PC

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto19XX
    ... what kind of classic emulatiors are there to run really old programs?
    There're a couple -- click here ta pick one > APPLE "Macintosh" Computer Emulators For "PC"s
    Enjoy!

Later!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Get It Here!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    i dont know if a b/w version was made, but glider pro was a great little game
    Click here ta play it > "GliderPro"
    Just scroll to the bottom & click TELECHARGER -- that means "DownLoad".

Later!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Top 5 APPLE Macintosh Computer Only B&W Games

Quote Originally Posted by CaryMG
    This all leads me to wonder -- has anyone here ever done a Top 20 Mac games list (or maybe a Top 10 Mac-first/only games list?)
    Here they are ....
    Well -- the "Top 5", anyway lol
    I think you hit most of the best commercially released B&W Mac games - although I've never heard of Trust & Betrayal and Fokker Triplane and will have to check them out. There are still plenty to add, especially from the shareware scene where I got most of my games back in the day. And there were some great color games as well that we aren't even touching (Myst, Marathon and other Bungie games, Maelstrom and other Ambrosia Software games). Anyway, here or some other B&W games worth checking out:

Enchanted Scepters
    Silicon Beach Software created a lot of early software for the Mac, including games like Dark Castle. Enchanted Scepters, however was completely different, being a graphic adventure that was a cross between King's Quest and Uninivited. It had two windows - one which showed the graphics of the room you were currently in and the other that had a text description of the room and a parser to type in commands. Clicking on an object on the graphics window did the obvious thing (picking it up, opening a door) and you used the text parser for more complex commands. There were also menus at the top that had commonly used verbs. The game also featured digitized sounds as well. The engine for Enchanted Scepters was later released as World Builder - a tool for building graphical adventures. Most games built with World Builder were pretty poor, but any games created by Ray Dunakin are amazing.

Puppy Love
    Long before Nintendogs, the Mac had its own dog-training simulator. You adopted a pup, taught it a variety of tricks, and then entered it in a dog show to earn cash (which were just points). The system was relatively simple. Your dog would walk around the screen and occasionally perform a trick by himself. If, after doing so, you immediately said a name for the trick and then gave him a dog biscuit, he might learn. Then, if you just said the name of the trick, he would perform it. If he learned wrong, you would swat him with your hand to unlearn it. This game made use of the MacinTalk text-to-speech software, so when you typed in a command, the computer would say it.

Dungeons of Doom
    Dungeons of Doom was a graphical roguelike game for the Mac. Extremely well done, you had to descent the 40 levels of the dungeon, retrieve some orb, and then make your way back up to the surface. There was a great cast of enemies (I still rue the black puddings!), a large list of items (who knew a Mac Plus could fell almost anyone by throwing it at them?), and a lot of very interesting interactions (riocheting wand blasts were particularly deadly). Because you could save, try something, then restore your game if something went wrong this was a lot easier than Nethack and its ilk and I actually managed to beat it.

Scarab of Ra
    Another dungeon exploration game, this one had you making your way through a great pyramid. The basically objective was to find the three great treasures of RA and then escape the pyramid. While doing so, you were confronted with snakes that would poison you, panthers that would maul you, mummies that would shock you, and, worst of all, monkeys that would steal your stuff! You also had to avoid various traps and find enough oil to keep your lamp lit and enough food to keep you sated. A really great dungeon explorer, I still play it to this day.

Crystal Quest
    As far as I know, this classic game of moving around, grabbing all the crystals, and then escaping through the portal originated on the Mac. Fast, frenetic gameplay and, like many Mac games, the mouse was used marvelously to control your ship. I always wondered if other ports kept the sexual sound made when your ship entered the portal. A version of this just came for the X-Box 360's live arcade so check it out.

Cap'n Magneto
    A brilliant shareware adventure game (or maybe it would be called an action RPG today, who knows?), this totally sucked me into its atmosphere. As a space cop, pursuing the mad megatroid, your ship was pulled down to a planet, crashing on it. You awaken with just some toy baubles and a handful of apples and must recover your spacesuit, defeat the mad megatroid, and get off the planet. Any creature you encountered could be friendly, neutral, or hostile. If neutral or hostile, you could often with it over to your side with a bribe. Friends and enemies would talk to you (using MacinTalk, of course!) givings you hints or hurling insults at you. There just seemed to be so much to this game, despite the seemingly small game world - the tricorder, the z-gates, tornadoes, the pull of the megatroid, and all the different creatures. Oh, and the shareware reminders were hilarious!

Glider
    John Calhoun was one of those prolific shareware Mac game developers (others would be Duane Blehm, Ingemar Ragnemalm, and Andrew Welch). His first great game was Glypha - a Joust clone that's worth playing if you get the chance. By far his best original idea was Glider. You took control of a paper airplane making its way through a house. You could move yourself left and right, but had to rely on heating vents for lift. The game had a puzzle feel in terms of figuring out how to make it through each room without hitting a surface. Later incarnations added light switches (hard to see in the dark!), multiple floors of the house, and rubber bands you could shoot at obstacles. Glider was eventually picked up for publication by a commercial company and released as Glider Pro (now in color and with a room editor).

The Manhole and Cosmic Osmo
    Before they revolutionized computer games with Myst, Rand and Robyn Miller created exploratory games aimed at a younger audience, but just as magical for those who are more adult. The Manhole was created in Hypercard and when released in 1988 was apparently the first computer game distributed on CD-ROM. Gameplay was similar to Myst, in that it involved just clicking on things and seeing what happened. Some clicks would move you to other scenes, while others would trigger animations and/or sounds. There was no goal to these games and no end to them - the point was just to explore the world and see what happened.

Strategic Conquest
    A relatively simple turn-based strategy game, I used to play this one for hours. The premise is that you and an opponent each start with a city on the map. That city can be set to produce one type of vehicle at a time (tank, fighter, bomber, destroyer, troop transport, etc.). You use your vehicles to explore the map and find new cities (initially neutral). By attacking and taking over a neutral city, you can produce units in that city. Eventually, you run into the other player and have to attack his units. The game implements a fog of war so you can only see enemy units if they are adjacent to your own. The game can be played against another human opponent through the network.

Spaceward Ho!
    A simple, yet addictive 4X game, I may be cheating by putting this on here, as I'm not sure whether it was actually a Mac-first game. It was, certainly one of the most popular Mac games. It supports all the standards - finding and colonizing planets, building ships to explore, defend, and attack, and researching new technology. Because the designers of the game wanted to boil the genre down to its simplest, yet most fun representation, games can take anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour. The game was great when you played it against one or more humans over a network.
    "Dost thou love me?" "No" "But thou must!"

My Video Game Journal