Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's All Play-Current challenge: Beat Outrun - end in one of the bottom 3 goals

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's Heavy! Interesting competition going on. Just beat the first 10 levels of Boxxle using an emulator. Not too difficult, just requires some patience.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did it. I've had Boxxle for awhile, but haven't really had a chance to play it. I did finally beat all 10 levels:

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I finished it on my lunch break at work today, took me about 15 - 20 minutes at most. Maybe we should have went through 20 levels instead.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did it. It took me two damn hours to figure this shit out. it was frustrating, but kinda fun at the same time. More frustrating than fun though.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After I finished the challenge, I found myself going back to this game throughout the week. I've had the game for years, but never bothered to play it. It's kinda fun, but I think I've had just about enough of it. I spent over an hour and a half on the same stage earlier today.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the Boxxle challenge is over and it's my turn to pick a mission.

Metal Storm (NES) - Beat on normal difficulty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Boxxle challenge is over and it's my turn to pick a mission.
    You're right, sorry for the delay in updating, I've been under the weather. PLUS since we're moving into a new house, our internet and telephone have been shut off, so I've been home sick with nothing to do. [/whiny]

I've never really played Metal Storm a whole lot, but I remember the Nintendo Power that had Metal Storm on its cover. I remember that it looked like play dough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy shit this game is fun. Now I regret not giving it a shot back when it came out. I'm up to stage 4-1 now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FINISHED. I used about 600 credits to do it, but I finished Metal Storm. (Normal mode, I'm not torturing myself with Expert mode) I must say that was a gratifying experience, an excellent platformer that requires a good mix of memorization and plain old skill. It can be rather difficult, but fortunately you get unlimited credits and a password feature.

What really got me was the stage six boss. That sumbitch is fsking HARD. The final boss is a joke though, like the one in Gradius.

My best score was 163,550.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just beat Metal Storm playing on the original model NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would just like to point out some Metal Storm bosses have safe spots. Found at least two, although only one is good through the whole fight. The first is at the second boss (the one with lasers cutting the room into four quadrants); simply crouch at the beginning of the fight. The second is the first really nasty boss, with four stages (the three patterns followed by spitting out patterns one after the other); you can walk so that your back leg is a few pixels from the edge and just fire up without getting hit by one of the attack phases. I'm not counting the first fight as having a safe spot, although that one's so easy I might as well. Despite the safe spots, I have to say I'm always amazed by how well put together this game is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I played half of the game the other day, need to play it and complete it tomorrow though.

Truthfully, playing Metal Storm the game felt like it had so many cheap memorization techniques. Not just at specific parts, but throughout each stages. The stages I completed I guarantee that I could now go through them in a continue probably because I already know of those cheap parts, but yeah. I don't know why people say such great things about it as I'm only mildly impressed by it because of the unique features at the time. I've played it once before and thought it was good, but that's it, only played it, never put some serious time into it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I played half of the game the other day, need to play it and complete it tomorrow though.

Truthfully, playing Metal Storm the game felt like it had so many cheap memorization techniques. Not just at specific parts, but throughout each stages. The stages I completed I guarantee that I could now go through them in a continue probably because I already know of those cheap parts, but yeah. I don't know why people say such great things about it as I'm only mildly impressed by it because of the unique features at the time. I've played it once before and thought it was good, but that's it, only played it, never put some serious time into it.
    Welcome to games from Irem, they pretty much symbolized play through the game in one life or not at all.

I do own this game and haven't put a ton of time into it (and yeah I like it), I believe I've gotten to the third stage on occasion, but the game is pretty difficult, something else I expect out of an Irem title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been playing though Metal Storm, I'm on level 6. The level 5 boss was a bitch.

edit: beat it.

So, there's no real last boss? the boss rush is the last boss. weird. I thought that big computer thing was going to be a final boss, but you just have to shoot those 4 points. meh. Is there a real boss on hard mode?

Fun game though. The level 6 boss (with the three platforms) was pretty nuts. It really tested your ability to handle the vertical shifting.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 11-21-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    Welcome to games from Irem, they pretty much symbolized play through the game in one life or not at all.
    Oh. That explains it. The only Irem titles I've played are the R Type games, Disaster Report series, and Steambot Chronicles. Steambot Chronicles was probably the best of their games and Raw Danger was decent.

As for the R Type series, you know my opinion of those. Nothing more than level memorization with extremely cheap deaths you're guaranteed to die at if you've never played the game.

Atleast with games like Mario, Mega Man(except the Zero series,) Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, it's very well possible to actually get through the games without dying too much, even on your first time playing. That's because the games aren't entirely based off memorization and whether it's your first time going through or 50th time, it's skill that's going to get you past and not whether you know what is going to happen or not.

Oh yeah. And I beat Metal Storm. I hated nearly every minute of this pos.

cOldb33r. For me I just did a small hop to the left once near the top of the screen on the stage 6 boss to land on the next platform, repeat. When they were red I just waited until all their parts opened then shot the other two then the one I was standing on at the time.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 11-21-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

308,000+ points, but still no one-continue clear (I want to get a no-death clear eventually). I got to 5-2 on one continue easily. Bought the farm because I forgot there was a laser enemy in a certain spot (I usually do). Before that there's very little memorization, just a bit of experimentation to figure out how to take things out safely (and usually the experimentation isn't dangerous). The only bosses that give me trouble are the second (for some reason that one's giving me trouble today) and the platforms, which aren't really that bad, just takes a few lives.

This game is easy, stop blaming Irem for being a shit gamer. Also @ dissing their entire output you mostly haven't played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's finally my turn to pick another mission! Much to kupo's dismay, I'm going to pick another Irem game.

This week we need to blast off and destroy the evil Bydo Empire! That's right... R-Type. I've played enough R-Type to know that asking someone to beat the game would be like asking them to chew through a wall. So, we're going to play just the fun bits.

MISSION: Your mission is to beat levels 1, 2 and 3 of R-Type in a single credit.

This is actually a pretty simple mission. The game doesn't really get hard until levels 4/5.

What version of R-Type can you play? Any version that has a set number of lives (this excludes the xbox 360 infinite mode). You can pick from: Arcade / Sega Master System / Turbografx-16 / Gameboy / Gameboy Color / MSX / Commodore 64 / Amiga / ZX Spectrum / Amstrad CPC / Atari ST / X68000 / Playstation / Xbox 360 (classic mode). I don't know if any of these versions allow for choice of lives/difficulty levels. If they do, you must use the default for both.

Enjoy!

BTW, thanks to hg101 for the list of versions and neat graphic of Dobkeratops.

PROTIP: Having trouble playing the game? Try the Sega Master System version. It can't handle the same amount of enemies and bullets, so the game is a little easier as a result.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 11-22-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to try this on each version I can, since I love R-Type and all.

Arcade (MAME): YTBP
    Sega Master System: This. Is. Caketown! *booted into the pit*
    Turbografx-16: YTBP
    Gameboy Color: YTBP
    Playstation: YTBP

Kupo: Try X-Multiply.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 11-22-2009 at 11:52 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

Game Boy / DX is easier (can use the pod to lock onto the second bosses' weak spot.

As you can see, I need to work on this game. I like not having to worry about walls and stuff; vertical shooters are more my thing (I like Sorcer Striker / Mahou Daisakusen though).
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 11-22-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

197,500 stage 3, nearly at the end of the huge warship, didn't have time to throw my force pod back in front of me, still prefer playing it on R-Types, but MAME was there a bit faster than trying to find the game on my shelves. This one's a classic, but I still like R-Type 2 just a bit better, the really big memorization parts don't happen until later in R-Type 1, c'mon Kupo, go ahead and give this game some playtime, it's quite good, despite you not liking it, it may do as it did with me long ago, grow on you.

Nice challenge coldb33r, really like this one and had to participate as it's been a long time since I last fired up any R-Type game. I remember buying R-Types off ebay long ago, possibly the best $10 I ever spent this side of Gradius Galaxies and Castle Shikigami II.